Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if you are contesting the ball (especially in a non marking situation) you have a duty of care not to smash the opposing player in the head
Not after last night!

If the ball is in the area you can **** people up good, you don’t even have to have your momentum or your hands moving toward the ball. Leave your feet? No problem anymore. And it’s not a bump unless you’ve asked the player if it was a bump, and they say “yes” at appeal. LOL.

There appears to be a common misunderstanding in here as to why Cripps got off.

The only reason Cripps is playing is because the AFL tribunal botched the process that led to the original finding.

Had the AFL followed proper process at the tribunal the original finding (that Cripps bumped) would stand and there would have been no grounds to appeal.

The AFL chair led the decision makers to their finding, a finding that was never actually disussed or debated within the hearing itself.

Carlton only needed to prove that the process was flawed, which it did successfully. Own goal by the AFL. Amateur hour.

The AFL: "See. I told you people were dumb."

That's only half right. They also said "The video did not reveal a bump, it set out as a contest for the ball that resulted in a collision". So even without the incompetence and frolics etc, he still would have gotten off at the Appeal level. I don't agree with their view it wasn't a bump, but certainly agree that once they decided he was contesting the ball he had to get off, that part is a good result IMO.

My point was that if the AFL tribunal reached the decision that Cripps bumped having followed proper process there would be no ability to appeal.

Take away your team allegiances, this was a farcical outcome for the AFL and a terrible look for the game.
Yep. The lesson should be to have competent people at the Tribunal who can follow a basic procedure.

Unfortunately, I feel it's been lost and the lesson will be that if you're smaller than the other bloke contesting the footy - God help you.

A week was about right, 2 was way too much and it’s why they need to change the grades this year. Think to most people we’d say yeah a week is about right. 2 way OTT though. It’s not the first over the top suspension this year
i think the majority of blues supporters feel like 1 week was fair also, hope that this is the catalyst to overhaul the system again.

Basically this is how I read in to it

The prosecuting team didn't use the word "bump" when questioning Cripps, yet in their findings and in the guilty statement, they used the word "bump" and that is what was argued by Carlton as a technicality (1 of 3 arguments I believe)

Now that is fair game I guess, every team would be doing the same, especially their best player running into 2 of the hottest and favourite teams. And they were successful, no hatred there, kudos to them

Where my gripe is , what is the standard for "Reckless Act" and more importantly "PROTECTING THE HEAD"??

The AFL is in charge of the game, the judiciary procedure (It is their rule interpretation that the judiciary teams debate on) is what is at fault here

Brad Scott, we are waiting. Fix this mess
Why would they fix it? It's exactly how they want it.

There appears to be a common misunderstanding in here as to why Cripps got off.

The only reason Cripps is playing is because the AFL tribunal botched the process that led to the original finding.

Had the AFL followed proper process at the tribunal the original finding (that Cripps bumped) would stand and there would have been no grounds to appeal.

The AFL chair led the decision makers to their finding, a finding that was never actually disussed or debated within the hearing itself.

Carlton only needed to prove that the process was flawed, which it did successfully. Own goal by the AFL. Amateur hour.
Yes this exactly. They weren't trying to prove that Cripps hadn't bumped or that he was playing the ball. They were trying to prove that the proper process wasn't followed. Turns out it wasn't.

I don't like the Cripps incident. Cripps pulled out of the contest and bumped Achees head while he wasn't looking. He made a mistake it happens. He deserved a week or 2. But you can't just suspend a bloke without following the proper process. If they followed the proper process Cripps would be out this week.

if the AFL is serious about protecting the head they need to follow the process meticulously so players know exactly what they can and can't do.

My point was that if the AFL tribunal reached the decision that Cripps bumped having followed proper process there would be no ability to appeal.
I don't think that's correct, you can always argue that it wasn't a bump and they got it wrong, it was unreasonable to rule it was a bump etc

Anything can be appealed, this is Australia!

Besides, if Carlton are engineered to make the finals it will probably come at the expense of Bulldogs or Richmond, who other theorists allege have been favored by AFL house in the past.

What I want to know is who AFL truly want to win so I can get a sizeable bet on.
It's not about engineering wins necessarily.

It's about keeping customers engaged.

thug act from Cripps, fly the flag for your team with honourable acts, not that rubbish.

long term brain damage to Ah Chee possible, reputational damage to Cripps certain, irrespective of the Blues 'whatever it takes' tactics to get him off the charges.
a0930b985b0f8e15d6fcd9990d3f40e3

this your team or????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps got away with murder. But for all you claiming about this setting some sort of precedent that you’re allowed to hit people in the head with no consequences, the only precedent it’s setting is that the AFL need to get better lawyers. Their tribunal chairperson messed up and it cost them. The appeal had nothing to do with Cripps’ actions and all to do with stupid legal terms on how the tribunal jury were unreasonable and resulted in an error of law. Nothing to do with what Cripps did, so no you can’t now just go out and bump someone in the head. You will cop your two weeks and now the AFL know they can’t send some clowns to chairperson the tribunal and instead put someone competent there.

That’s not actually true.

The appeal was allowed because of an “error in law”.

But the appeals board also found that Cripps was contesting the ball, and that what he did didn’t constitute a bump. Had they not, he would still be out for two weeks.

Yes, possibly the AFL should raise the price of disputing or having your sentence possibly increased if you appeal the suspension. But bottom line is if the AFL’s tribunal properly adjudicates the case to the letter of the law there is nothing to appeal afterwards.
So what you’re saying is Cripps was right to get off for that hit because some guys in suits used the wrong words a few days later in some court room?

Let's be clear here. Carlton supporters do not think for one moment that we will trouble melbourne or Collingwood next 2 weeks. Season is more than likely cooked.
It's a result meaning that the game continues to remain an impact sport and with that comes collision , and yes , some players will get injured playing this great game of ours. The result should be celebrated by all . If you don't like collisions in our game , then perhaps go and follow something else

I didn’t celebrate what happened to Silvagni, and I ****ing hate Carlton. So I don’t know why anyone would celebrate this outcome for Ah Chee and the game.

I just don't get how the AFL stuffed this up, you leave the ground and end up bumping someone head high rather you have to take responsibility, and after a 5 hour debate they end up concluding there wasn't a bump so fair game!? ****ing hell, head high contact isn't even close to taboo.

A forgotten fact is 3 umpires saw this incident live - and NOT ONE OF THEM thought it was even worth a free kick.

Big whoops, they didn’t think Redman choking Ginnivan on the ground was worth a free kick either, and that happened over a period of several seconds not an instant.

Have another look .. are they Crippa's that are out or is it an optical allusion?

There’s no such thing as an optical illusion.

By the way, John Noble was lucky not to be suspended for jumping on this prostrate Carlton player…

images

What do the umpires have to do with this ?
They didn’t even pay a free kick for that incident
**** me Carlton supporters on here seem to have a reading issue. Reread my comment you quoted and use the 2 IQ points it would require to comprehend what I was saying. I will spell it out then. I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL doesn't try and exact their pound of flesh somehow and the conspiracy theorist in me believes that you will be reamed by the umps against Melbourne

You can blame the AFL, MRO and officials for that , the inconsistency is the problem..Christian is a joke..

I dunno, seems like Christian came up with a penalty that 95% of AFL fans fully expected, suggests to me he did his job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back