Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps is a much better player than Kelly. Much better than every player you listed above.

He adapts at any club and in any environment. You’re under rating one of the best players in the comp.

He adapts at any club?

How many different club's and environments has Cripps played at?

Crook shoulder, crook knee and plenty of km on the clock.

And his kicking is his weakness especially in front of goal.

It was one game but the 2nd most important game of the season. A level cripps may never play in let alone play well in.

I'm open to cripps being better cause he's a jet but it's not by as much as you think.

Yeh they aren't too far apart overall. Kelly finished pretty high in the Brownlow in 2019, and at his best is in the best 10-15 players in the comp.

Past record suggests you’ve over paid again to bring players into your football club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who hasn't overpaid for players in the past?

I think Carlton overpaid for Saad but we did pay what Essendon valued him at.

Debuted 2017, entering year 5 of his career.

He is 22 years old and spent 12 months on the sideline with a knee reco... I think he has a lot of development left in him. Do players stop improving at 21 / after 3 years in the system, or something?

Who hasn't overpaid for players in the past?

I think Carlton overpaid for Saad but we did pay what Essendon valued him at.

He is 22 years old and spent 12 months on the sideline with a knee reco... I think he has a lot of development left in him. Do players stop improving at 21 / after 3 years in the system, or something?

As promising now as any other player in the same boat.

Cripps is a much better player than Kelly. Much better than every player you listed above.

He adapts at any club and in any environment. You’re under rating one of the best players in the comp.

Kelly was an example of the point I am making.

There are many cases where great, even star players have moved and the move has not necessarily panned out the way people thought it would.

Cripps has everything his own way at Carlton. That wouldn't be the case at West Coast.

I'm not sure West Coast really need a slow as treacle clearance beast who can't kick.

His abilities don't really align with West Coast's style, or their needs.

There are many cases where great, even star players have moved and the move has not necessarily panned out the way people thought it would.

Cripps has everything his own way at Carlton. That wouldn't be the case at West Coast.

I'm not sure West Coast really need a slow as treacle clearance beast who can't kick.

The current crop have failed to cut the mustard. This is a guy every club needs.

So if Fyfe wanted to make the move to the Eagles you would knock that back due to a “style” clash. Tipping Cripps would have added the extra 2 points you need last year.

So if Fyfe wanted to make the move to the Eagles you would knock that back due to a “style” clash. Tipping Cripps would have added the extra 2 points you need last year.

It's really speculation. Although it is nice to be able to speculate about small differences here or there being the difference between top 4/potential flag and being just a finals participant, as opposed to say, only winning 3 games, right?

People said the same thing about Kelly last year.

You think that Cripps (who didn't finish the final game in H&A season, and had a poor season by his standards) would have given us those 2 extra points?

It's about balancing what Cripps provides vs what the cost is.

Obviously being a RFA, means if he nominates West Coast and only cost salary is very different to a trade.

West Coast has a lot of players 27+ not many players 20-24, and hasn't had a first round draft pick since 2017 (Brander).

There are many clubs that have traded themselves out of contention.

I don't think West Coast should trade for Cripps.

A RFA will not nominate a club that isn't prepared to trade for him (rightfully so).

Cripps should get out of Carlton ASAP. Carltons marketing guys are the best in the business of selling false hope to their members, supporters, and sadly, even their own players. The sad reality is Carlton are not, and will not be, a force in AFL.

But Cripps and West Coast are two ships in the night. In my opinion, it is not a good match for either club or player.

Which kind of player would then? West Coast have a reasonably balanced list as it is, but probably lacking one additional star which Cripps would provide.

Tim came home to bring support and stability to his family and then this season he had to take them to a new environment to brand new routines without the support he came home for.

It is no surprise he had a form drop, I'd be surprised if he was sleeping three quarters as much as night as he needed.

Cripps at West Coast would be the first target for the ruckmen to hit the ball to with Shuey and Kelly swooping past for handballs in order to clear the ball forward - or if Cripps is double teamed then the ruckman hits to the loose.

Every team would benefit adding elite clearance midfielders at the top of their rotation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every team would benefit adding elite clearance midfielders at the top of their rotation.
That entirely depends on what you have to give up to get him. Don't think too many teams are in the position to add Cripps to their list without a significant hit to their TPP and trade/draft stocks.

It's really speculation. Although it is nice to be able to speculate about small differences here or there being the difference between top 4/potential flag and being just a finals participant, as opposed to say, only winning 3 games, right?

People said the same thing about Kelly last year.

You think that Cripps (who didn't finish the final game in H&A season, and had a poor season by his standards) would have given us those 2 extra points?

It's about balancing what Cripps provides vs what the cost is.

Obviously being a RFA, means if he nominates West Coast and only cost salary is very different to a trade.

West Coast has a lot of players 27+ not many players 20-24, and hasn't had a first round draft pick since 2017 (Brander).

There are many clubs that have traded themselves out of contention.

I don't think West Coast should trade for Cripps.

A RFA will not nominate a club that isn't prepared to trade for him (rightfully so).

Cripps should get out of Carlton ASAP. Carltons marketing guys are the best in the business of selling false hope to their members, supporters, and sadly, even their own players. The sad reality is Carlton are not, and will not be, a force in AFL.

But Cripps and West Coast are two ships in the night. In my opinion, it is not a good match for either club or player.
Right so this is a crack at the Blues - the same thing was being said about the Tigers in 2016.

Right so this is a crack at the Blues - the same thing was being said about the Tigers in 2016.

In 2016, the Tigers had a terrible year, but had made finals in the previous 3 years, still won 8 games that is more than Carlton have won since 2013.

Comparing Carlton in 2020 to Tigers in 2016 is such a flawed parallel.

In 2016, the Tigers had a terrible year, but had made finals in the previous 3 years, still won 8 games that is more than Carlton have won since 2013.

Could be Bulldogs 2016, could be Melbourne 2018, could be Carlton 2020 again, nobody knows what the future holds, but in a salary-capped league there's always the possibility of success if you've got the right pieces in place, and that is obviously what Cripps needs to decide.

If Carlton miss finals again he'd have every right to bail but 'Carlton will never be a force' is just pissing in the wind. Nobody thought Richmond would become a juggernaut or the Bulldogs'd win a flag with their list, but it happened.

Could be Bulldogs 2016, could be Melbourne 2018, could be Carlton 2020 again, nobody knows what the future holds, but in a salary-capped league there's always the possibility of success if you've got the right pieces in place, and that is obviously what Cripps needs to decide.

If Carlton miss finals again he'd have every right to bail but 'Carlton will never be a force' is just pissing in the wind. Nobody thought Richmond would become a juggernaut or the Bulldogs'd win a flag with their list, but it happened.

The reason 2016 was considered such a huge disappointment was people believed they had a very good list.

Did people think they were the team they became, probably not?

But Carlton are nowhere near where the teams you mentioned.

That entirely depends on what you have to give up to get him. Don't think too many teams are in the position to add Cripps to their list without a significant hit to their TPP and trade/draft stocks.

Players want flags/take $haircuts to achieve it. How to structure acceptable compensation is the problem.

The reason 2016 was considered such a huge disappointment was people believed they had a very good list.

Did people think they were the team they became, probably not?

But Carlton are nowhere near where the teams you mentioned.

And none of the teams I mentioned were any good until they were.

It's wishful thinking to suggest things are just going to stay the way they are - teams improve and decline all the time, and no team stays up or down eternally.

Yeh Carlton obviously have to improve, but predicting continual mediocrity is just bland, cynical posting IMO.

And none of the teams I mentioned were any good until they were.

It's wishful thinking to suggest things are just going to stay the way they are - teams improve and decline all the time, and no team stays up or down eternally.

Yeh Carlton obviously have to improve, but predicting continual mediocrity is just bland, cynical posting IMO.

Sometimes poor management is apparent but that can change without the draft or a rebuild. Wasnt the CEO at the Bullies who oversaw the flag in & out in a flash.

Which kind of player would then? West Coast have a reasonably balanced list as it is, but probably lacking one additional star which Cripps would provide.
Would absolutely love to have Cripps but at the cost, it would more than likely be to the detriment of the list.

We've already paid through the nose for our last recruit and you'd have to expect a couple of good picks again for Cripps.

Our list is in a bit of a precarious position at the moment and we need to reboot shortly and nail a couple of drafts.

Would absolutely love to have Cripps but at the cost, it would more than likely be to the detriment of the list.

We've already paid through the nose for our last recruit and you'd have to expect a couple of good picks again for Cripps.

Our list is in a bit of a precarious position at the moment and we need to reboot shortly and nail a couple of drafts.

Getting Cripps would allow you to play Kelly more on the outside, and I'd expect Oscar Allen will be a decent forward as early next year and kicking 50+ goals by 2022 to fully replace Kennedy's usual output.

I don't think you'd be crippling the list, but you'd certainly have a 3-4 year period where anything less than a flag would be deemed a failed season.

These drafts you want, wont be productive until the mid to late 20s.

Writing any team off is flawed as well. Tigers were a joke in 2016. 3 embarrassing elimination losses - 1 to the 9th placed Blues and then a bottom 6 finish.

Same with the Dogs in 2014. Things can turn quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back