Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield leaving sets the club back.
He is there best player.

Pick 14 for him is laughable.

I hope Adelaide take a stance, He's a restricted free agent and it's just smart business to match. He's easily worth 2 top 10 picks and Adelaide need to look after their future than just be the good guy that let their best player walk.[/QUOTI

So was Ablett!!!

Dangerfield leaving sets the club back.
He is there best player.

Pick 14 for him is laughable.

I hope Adelaide take a stance, He's a restricted free agent and it's just smart business to match. He's easily worth 2 top 10 picks and Adelaide need to look after their future than just be the good guy that let their best player walk.

Ablett????

Nice theory I like it unfortunately you can only trade future picks from one year into the future, max.
Ah, I was unaware that was the case. In all honesty I have no idea how this will all pan out. It's fun to speculate though, isn't it. I'm on the positive side of it, unlike in 2010 with the Ablett situation.

No my point was that FA usually favours the club the player wants to go to.

Of course but Geelong had absolutely no chance to match because the money was astronomical.

Personally don't think Geelong can bid with an unmatchable number.

I doubt it'd look good if Geelong offer their top picks (which they most likely will) and Adelaide refuse to take it, forcing their marquee player into a draft he never wanted to enter just because Adelaide want to play hard-ball. I understand Adelaide want compensation, but I feel like the shit-fight that would ensue from such tactics would be more hassle than they really want right now.
That is fairy tale thinking..Adelaide will ruin their reputation as a club, therefore other future players will think twice about going to Adelaide..
If you wanted to move to another company and your current company you work for screwed you over, how pissed off would you be???
Nice of you to worry about our clubs reputation Tristan .
But 2 things to remember here 1 -- we are not going to let our best player for just a 1st rd draft pick.
2 -- Whilst we are all disappointed Danger might go , we are aware he wants to go for right reasons as a quality family person and he loves our club and would not let it be ripped off in his efforts to return to home area.
So think Geelong would be aware and if any club needs to be careful it would be Geelong making Danger change his mind.

All this talk about the Crows matching is ridiculous. The Crows can't have it both ways. They were happy to take Betts from the Blues for free via free agency. Carlton weren't dicks about it. He is now the premier small forward of the AFL. Danger is leaving, I don't know whether that's to Geelong or some other Victorian club. All I know is the Crows will suck it up and not match. There is an unspoken, unofficial agreement between all clubs in relation to FA. Clubs will win some, they will lose some. Simple. If Crows match, good luck getting Free agents from other clubs in the future. Lucky the club is not run by some of their supporters

All this talk about the Crows matching is ridiculous. The Crows can't have it both ways. They were happy to take Betts from the Blues for free via free agency. Carlton weren't dicks about it. He is now the premier small forward of the AFL. Danger is leaving, I don't know whether that's to Geelong or some other Victorian club. All I know is the Crows will suck it up and not match. There is an unspoken, unofficial agreement between all clubs in relation to FA. Clubs will win some, they will lose some. Simple. If Crows match, good luck getting Free agents from other clubs in the future. Lucky the club is not run by some of their supporters
Seriously?

They'd be mad not to match

Ah nooo, you're wrong on so many levels. Carlton DECIDED not to match our measly offer of $450k/year because they preferred to blow $700k+ on a flog called Daisy Thomas.. Don't make it sound as if Carlton were doing us a favour by "not being dicks about it" - that's just plain ridiculous. If you had a single clue about exactly how FA works and restricted FA in particular you'd realise what you're saying is garbage.

Oh and btw, I'd love to know where the hell you came up with this magical supposed bro-code clubs have with each other regarding FA???? Was your club all smiles and handshakes with GC when Ablett left? Do you honestly think Hawthorn were high-fiving Sydney when Buddy switched to the Swans... Please...

The AFL AND AFLPA put these mechanisms in place for a reason, the clubs all signed off on it knowing full well the ramifications and the rules - which Adelaide will be acting completely within by matching any offer Geelong put forward, and it won't be because we're being dicks about it, get a clue seriously

There is also an official agreement that clubs should match if they think it's in their best interests.

I'd say that's probably more relevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't have it both ways??? Do you realise we've lost more players via free agency than any club in the competition???????

Ah nooo, you're wrong on so many levels. Carlton DECIDED not to match our measly offer of $450k/year because they preferred to blow $700k+ on a flog called Daisy Thomas.. Don't make it sound as if Carlton were doing us a favour by "not being dicks about it" - that's just plain ridiculous. If you had a single clue about exactly how FA works and restricted FA in particular you'd realise what you're saying is garbage.

Aha! So there's an easy solution to the problem then.

All we need to do is find a "flog" for you to splurge your money on, and you won't match for Dangerfield.

700+ a season for Jack Watts. You know you want to ;):p

Carlton had every opportunity to match.
They didn't brainwash Carlton into just letting Eddie go, they decided matching wasn't ideal for their situation.

Only a Geelong supporter is upset at the idea of Adelaide matching because it doesn't benefit you.

Last edited:
Can't have it both ways??? Do you realise we've lost more players via free agency than any club in the competition???????

Now you are confusing free agency with the the expan teams .

You arguably did pretty well out of free agency from what I remember compared to most teams .. Wasn't it an end of first round for bock , and a first round pick for Davis? Bock didn't have much good in him after that and Davis is a really good player who can't regularly stay on the park. You didn't do to bad.

outs - bock , Davis

Ins - betts , pick 19? pick 11ish? (Turned into brad crouch)

You haven't don't so bad out of free agency as you are making out....

I just did a pretty conservative count-back on Brownlow votes for Fyfe and Dangerfield. I had both finish with 31 votes. That would be bloody awesome. On a side note if Sam Mitchell wins he will be lynched by the greater football community.

I just did a pretty conservative count-back on Brownlow votes for Fyfe and Dangerfield. I had both finish with 31 votes. That would be bloody awesome. On a side note if Sam Mitchell wins he will be lynched by the greater football community.
Yeah Mitchell tests the 'fairest' element of it severely

Now you are confusing free agency with the the expan teams .

You arguably did pretty well out of free agency from what I remember compared to most teams .. Wasn't it an end of first round for bock , and a first round pick for Davis? Bock didn't have much good in him after that and Davis is a really good player who can't regularly stay on the park. You didn't do to bad.

outs - bock , Davis

Ins - betts , pick 19? pick 11ish? (Turned into brad crouch)

You haven't don't so bad out of free agency as you are making out....
You argue we did well out of losing Davis because he's always injured but then mention we got Crouch out of him (who's also always injured).

But you're right. We haven't done poorly out of FA (gained Betts and lost Knights). Can't understand the new Geelong logic though that we can't have it both ways when we never told Carlton they couldn't match Betts and they decided they didn't want him.

I'd like to see Adelaide match the offer.
As a club you need to make a stand to your players that you can't just go home and leave the club to pick up the pieces.

Any compo pick they would get may get them a Tambling and put a massive dent in their flag hopes.

The club is always bigger than the player and i think this is the time to test out the restricted free agent system.

Do nothing and it receive pick 14 and it's a lose lose situation for the Crows and only the turncoat and his new team wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back