Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way that I see Adelaide getting x2 1st rd selections for Dangerfield would be

1) Dangerfield goes to Geelong as a RFA. Adelaide get 1st rd compo (#14 or something along those lines)
2) Geelong trade their 1nd rd selection for Adelaides 2nd and steak knives (remember it needs to look legit or it will be blocked)

So they get Geelong's 1st rd pick + and the compo pick, but lose Dangerfield, 2nd rd selection and steak knives.

The only way that I see Adelaide getting x2 1st rd selections for Dangerfield would be

1) Dangerfield goes to Geelong as a RFA. Adelaide get 1st rd compo (#14 or something along those lines)
2) Geelong trade their 1nd rd selection for Adelaides 2nd and steak knives (remember it needs to look legit or it will be blocked)

So they get Geelong's 1st rd pick + and the compo pick, but lose Dangerfield, 2nd rd selection and steak knives.
Coming from a Carlton fan, you'd know how to rort wouldn't you?

No ****ing way the AFL sanctions a draft tampering trade. Mind you if it was still Demetriou in charge with Trigg at the Crows the penalty will be mind blowing. The new CEO has a big soft spot for the Crows, but he won't sanction that.

Would a team be able to take him in the draft and then trade him to Geelong later down the line?

Only in the following year's trade period, e.g. after next season.

No ******* way the AFL sanctions a draft tampering trade. Mind you if it was still Demetriou in charge with Trigg at the Crows the penalty will be mind blowing. The new CEO has a big soft spot for the Crows, but he won't sanction that.
I'd have thought, after the Trigg days, the AFC would stay as far away from anything that could be seen as draft tampering as possible

I'd have thought, after the Trigg days, the AFC would stay as far away from anything that could be seen as draft tampering as possible

Not all that different from the sweetheart deal we did with GC so that we'd sign off on Brennan joining them as a second uncontracted player.

800k for Dangerfield from Geelong?...
That's almost offensive to Adelaide and other competiing clubs for Danger's service.

Not everyone plays for money.

Exactly.

That's the problem with the RFA system. It should be binding if you match, no demanding a trade or going in the draft.

If you match, the player is signed up as per the offer matched.

The whole point of having restricted FAs is so you can hang on to your better players for an extra couple of years a long as you are prepared to value them financially as high as opposition clubs.

That's the problem with the RFA system. It should be binding if you match, no demanding a trade or going in the draft.

The whole point of having restricted FAs is so you can hang on to your better players for an extra couple of years a long as you are prepared to value them financially as high as opposition clubs.
The AFLPA would never allow clubs to have so much control over players... unfortunately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No ******* way the AFL sanctions a draft tampering trade. Mind you if it was still Demetriou in charge with Trigg at the Crows the penalty will be mind blowing. The new CEO has a big soft spot for the Crows, but he won't sanction that.

It was happening with the expansion club compensation ................

I think you mean 1 extra year....

Uh no, if you get rid of the compensation rules and keep everything else it would function normally. Allowing teams to get compensation just because a player leaves is stupid.One of your players leaves, oh no wallow in your pity while you get to pick one of the top prospects in the nation.

In this particular scenario, it's one of the best players in the competition leaving so before you go sprouting the "oh no wallow in your pity" BS, try to consider this for a moment - our club has spent the last 8 years heavily investing our time and resources, both financial and coaching, into developing one of the sport's most talented and exciting products. Largely, we have made him the player he is today, as we did with blokes like Tippett, Davis and Gunston before him before they decided to piss all that hard work and investment down the shitter. For you to expect our key stakeholders, we the members who cough up in excess of $400 a year, and a loyal supporter base to just accept it and not be perturbed by it is just insulting. Likewise the club, who continually invest their efforts and manpower into these young men only to be shafted.

On the second bolded point, exactly what guarantee do we have going into the draft, and this draft in particular that the likely compensation (at this stage a pick immediately after our pick according to FA rules -currently somewhere in the teens or mid-late 1st round if you like, as the AFL is yet to decide Carlton and Brisbane's compo for Kreuzer and Leuenberger leaving if they do so) is going to net us as you put it, "one of the top prospects in the nation" given this draft tails off dramatically after the first 5-10 picks - can we possibly have that guarantee in writing perhaps?? Can we reasonably expect to get another Dangerfield with said pick?

Furthermore, it only completely screws with everything our list management has planned for and put in place leading up to this point for us to now turn around and spend a pick on a complete unknown who will more than likely take another 5 years minimum before we begin to see any sort of return/fruition from the time and money invested as I mentioned earlier. It's one big ****ing merry-go-round without a prize waiting at the end, without any reward for what we've worked so hard to achieve.

I understand it's easy to have this opinion from where you stand, that is as a supporter of a club who has been previously giftwrapped a great big ****ing chunk of the nation's "top prospects" as you put it in years gone by (not just one year of it but multiple years), just because the AFL wanted to pour all their resources into non-traditional football states and ensure your club would become and remain competitive and successful enough to retain an interested and loyal supporter base... Oh and then threw in recruitment zones to further aid your long-term viability.. Yes, I can completely understand where you're coming from. My club has been around for 25 years and hasn't been allowed a single F/S pick to speak of because the "VFL/QFL/NSWFL" or AFL as you know it to be created such rigid stipulations and restrictions on our ability to draft F/S that we basically had to have those players' fathers play over 15 seasons of SANFL footy in as many seasons (but only on the proviso of those seasons falling between certain years, just to give us a real good kick in the guts and ensure it would never happen). Yet your club, was giftwrapped every possible chance of storming into the top 8 within the first 5 years of your existence and remaining there for the forseeable future. My club started out of a tin ****ing shed, how many tin sheds did the AFL throw at you guys?

Let's just suck it up and get on with it shall we? No qualms whatsoever!

Last edited:
Geelong will have planning this for a while.

They know they have to please the Crows at the trade table to sign him.

They will be prepared with a good trade offer once push comes to shove.

If you beleive DEERWWAYYNE the deal is already done they have discussed and agreed upon the trades. Can we guess what they will be?

If you beleive DEERWWAYYNE the deal is already done they have discussed and agreed upon the trades. Can we guess what they will be?

If the Crows have already agreed to something it would have to be very generous.

I doubt that Geelong have agreed to anything. They will be playing the (crows won't match) bluff until the crows match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back