Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

He's elite, and would be a quality addition, but if this distraction goes on for months, it's going to hurt both Adelaide and whatever team he goes to.

Months? The free agency period opens in less than 3 weeks

And we will know wll before then what hes decided anyway

I'm confused why - if the rumour is true and Melbourne offered picks 2 and 3 for Danger last year - Adelaide didn't take it?

Petracca and Brayshaw seems a much better result for them than pick 14...

Because he wouldn't want to go anywhere near Melbourne? I'm sure the crows would happily take it, he was a contracted player and has to agree to the move.

Danger's gone and Crows won't match IMO, they'll just take pick 14 in the draft and move on.

As supporters we're angry and want more but them's the rules and that's what you get. Hawthorn got pick 19 for Buddy so we are 5 picks better than them, albeit in a weaker draft.

Now start looking who we might draft with picks 13 and 14, that'll ease the pain - NOT!

Yeah I believe the Crows will take the compo but its just wrong what you guys will get. You deserve 2 first round picks at the bare minimum. As much as this will hurt, you guys will be on the other end of this soon. Adelaide will always be an attractive destination for South Australians wanting to return home. Melbourne getting pick 3 for Frawley highlights what a farce the compo system is

Because he wouldn't want to go anywhere near Melbourne? I'm sure the crows would happily take it, he was a contracted player and has to agree to the move.

He (or any other player) should not have to agree to being traded. If a team wants to trade you, bad luck its a business.

Players have way too much power in the AFL

Yeah I believe the Crows will take the compo but its just wrong what you guys will get. You deserve 2 first round picks at the bare minimum. As much as this will hurt, you guys will be on the other end of this soon. Adelaide will always be an attractive destination for South Australians wanting to return home. Melbourne getting pick 3 for Frawley highlights what a farce the compo system is

The crows would be stupid to take the compo.

Do they want pick 12 or two 1st round picks which are better than pick 12 plus a player???

The crows would be stupid to take the compo.

Do they want pick 12 or two 1st round picks which are better than pick 12 plus a player???

Understand what you are saying and it makes sense that they should match. It just does. However, FA has changed the whole landscape. Crows will be able to entice some free agents the next few years. They will lose out big time here but they will win some in the next few years. They won't want to match Danger and then have clubs match on them when it's their turn to poach. Just my view of course, which I understand most people on here don't agree with and that's fair enough. We will just wait and see I guess..

Have to convince Danger to go to the Gold Coast as well dont forget
I might be wrong, but thinking he may be suggesting a 3 team deal that sees Danger still end up in Geelong, Jansen to GC and Bennell to Adelaide.
Something along the lines of:
Geelong receive:
Dangerfield
Adelaide receive:
Bennell
Geelong '15 1st rd pick
GC receive:
Jansen
Geelong '16 1st rd pick

I think there is enough there for each team to at least sit down and discuss/negotiate.

Possible sticking points:
Bennell wanting to play and live in Adelaide
Adelaide wanting Bennell
Geelong being willing to part with all those assets (they should IMO)
GC believing it's enough return for Bennell (they should IMO)

I might be wrong, but thinking he may be suggesting a 3 team deal that sees Danger still end up in Geelong, Jansen to GC and Bennell to Adelaide.
Geelong receive:
Dangerfield
Adelaide receive:
Bennell
Geelong '15 1st rd pick
GC receive:
Jansen
Geelong '16 1st rd pick

I think there is enough there for each team to at least sit down and discuss/negotiate.

Adelaide wanting Bennell

Plus there is also the fact that if Adelaide decide to match an offer for Dangerfield, Gold Coast have assets that could convince Adelaide to part with him. Whether it be a 3 way trade involving Geelong, Adelaide and GC or just Adelaide and GC.

Understand what you are saying and it makes sense that they should match. It just does. However, FA has changed the whole landscape. Crows will be able to entice some free agents the next few years. They will lose out big time here but they will win some in the next few years. They won't want to match Danger and then have clubs match on them when it's their turn to poach. Just my view of course, which I understand most people on here don't agree with and that's fair enough. We will just wait and see I guess..
The other 16 clubs wouldn't care less if Adelaide match Geelong's offer, because that's how RFA is meant to work. There are no gentleman's agreement not to match, as you're implying. There are two reasons why clubs haven't matched offers in the past: 1) Financial reasons (Buddy Franklin). 2) Compo pick was a better result than the player staying (Frawley). If the compo picked is scrapped, you'll see more offers being matched.

Plus there is also the fact that if Adelaide decide to match an offer for Dangerfield, Gold Coast have assets that could convince Adelaide to part with him. Whether it be a 3 way trade involving Geelong, Adelaide and GC or just Adelaide and GC.
Nah, Dangerfield would need to agree to go up there which I think is HIGHLY unlikely.
Pretty much nixes this as a possibility

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm confused why - if the rumour is true and Melbourne offered picks 2 and 3 for Danger last year - Adelaide didn't take it?

Petracca and Brayshaw seems a much better result for them than pick 14...
We never offered 2 and 3.

It was going to be one of those plus the pick from Richmond for Trengove, but that fell through.

The other 16 clubs wouldn't care less if Adelaide match Geelong's offer, because that's how RFA is meant to work. There are no gentleman's agreement not to match, as you're implying. There are two reasons why clubs haven't matched offers in the past: 1) Financial reasons (Buddy Franklin). 2) Compo pick was a better result than the player staying (Frawley). If the compo picked is scrapped, you'll see more offers being matched.

How do you know there isn't?

He (or any other player) should not have to agree to being traded. If a team wants to trade you, bad luck its a business.

Players have way too much power in the AFL

You'll get no argument from me on this one.

The players have the best of both worlds with the current system. They want loyalty from clubs, a right to refuse a trade, but also want this ridiculous bastardized version of free agency.

The AFLPA have done an amazing job for their clients. Where's the "Club's Association"?

Posted this on the Hawks board:

I've not been following the Dangerfield stuff all that closely, but I've noticed that its almost a certainty he is off to Geelong.

Where has this come from? Patrick hasn't said anything right? Are there genuine sources saying its a done deal or is it the media feeding off each other based on the fact he is from the area. A snowball bashing down a hill because nobody has a decent line on an alternative outcome?

While it would be funny to see them miss out (edit - not bc its Geelong, it would be funny no matter who it was), I dont really mind if he goes there. I just cant figure out why its such concrete chatter. Not even Buddy to GWS had this much certainty in the media...

I've not been following the Dangerfield stuff all that closely, but I've noticed that its almost a certainty he is off to Geelong.

Where has this come from? Patrick hasn't said anything right? Are there genuine sources saying its a done deal or is it the media feeding off each other based on the fact he is from the area. A snowball bashing down a hill because nobody has a decent line on an alternative outcome?

While it would be funny to see them miss out (edit - not bc its Geelong, it would be funny no matter who it was), I dont really mind if he goes there. I just cant figure out why its such concrete chatter. Not even Buddy to GWS had this much certainty in the media...

I think a lot of the reason people believe it is due to his family being from that area, so it is a sort of moving home scenario.

Geelong receive:
Dangerfield
Adelaide receive:
Bennell
Geelong '15 1st rd pick
GC receive:
Jansen
Geelong '16 1st rd pick

Adelaide wanting Bennell
Sticking point being that Jansen wants to go to BL for one reason really. Down our midfield pecking order and will find games easier to come by at Brisbane (how hard can it be if Robinson is a B&F winner) but would likely find it as difficult to get a game at GC.

I think a lot of the reason people believe it is due to his family being from that area, so it is a sort of moving home scenario.

Is that it? Thats what I thought but the way fans and the media have almost unanimously declared it fait accompli I thought there would be a bit more to it.

Dangerfield's manager has stated several times that his decision is between Adelaide and Geelong.

Dangerfield himself has stated several times that it is a decision between his football family and his family.

Geelong has clearly been cleaning the books - eg trading Varcoe on $450k last year, getting rid of Johnson on $500k+ this year - for a big arrival.

When there was a report several weeks ago that Dangerfield had agreed to a five-year deal with Geelong, he very carefully rebuffed it by saying it was "crap" he had signed elsewhere - not "crap" that he wanted to go to Geelong.

Caroline Wilson's article yesterday stated specifics - that Dangerfield told Adelaide he was going to Geelong in August, that Paul Connors has been dealing with Steve Hocking at Geelong all season. If the story was untrue, either or both clubs would have issued a statement strongly denying it. There has been radio silence from both clubs since.

Adelaide also got a fair few excellent years out of him. He's leaving as a RFA - that's eight years service, which is nothing to sneeze about. Some of those were developmental years, but it's not like he's leaving after a two or three year stay where Adelaide puts in the development and another club reaps the benefit.
What a lot of crap as the guy is just 25 in the prime of his football life and this year first year really lived up to the hype of his extreme talent .
He did not move over to join us in 1 st year to finish schooling.

What a lot of crap as the guy is just 25 in the prime of his football life and this year first year really lived up to the hype of his extreme talent .
He did not move over to join us in 1 st year to finish schooling.

Geez you're a harsh marker on your own team or you got suckered into hype instead of understanding the benefit of having a very good player on your team. 23 Brownlow votes in 2012, 22 in 2013, 21 in 2014 and potential to win it this year, but only this year is he good enough?

Also fully aware that he was not in Adelaide much in his first year, note the "some of those were developmental years".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back