PAUL CHAPMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like him at ours for a couple of yrs (love the way he goes about it) with Kerr gone, but highly unlikely he would move to Perth for such a short time. Will most likely be picked up by a Vic based club..you would think?
Yeah but the talk is he is quite open to moving interstate.

Has Chapman been officially delisted by Geelong?

Would be interesting to note that if he is picked up - is he picked up as a delisted free agent or unrestricted free agent.

It would seem odd that an unwanted player would still fetch Geelong compensation.
Delisted free agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fairly sure Chapman signing with Hawthorn would be one of the first signs of the apocalypse

I, for one, welcome our demonic overlords.

Love to see Chappy at Hawthorn. Peverse, yet amusing.

I would be happy to have him at the Crows, but not sure if the Crows are interested. Cant see why as he would be very good up coming out of a FP, HFF.

MM is looking for a quick fix, and short term results.

He will leave this list in terrible shape. :)

Rubbish. It's only list spots we have to worry about. We have given up nothing for Thomas except money and can front load his deal anyway. Chapman would cost us nothing but whatever salary he earns for a year or two. Aside from that we are looking at Docherty and maybe Savage. Nothing quick fix there.

You want it to be true but I doubt you can justify it. You guys picked up Lynch to play a role, but if we grab older players, we are looking for a quick fix. Please ...

We have given up nothing for Thomas except money ...

Free agency is new to AFL. It's pretty exciting I think.

I also think Thomas is a very good player.

There is something that does worry me however, and that's the attitude of 'giving up nothing'. Even if you don't give up a pick or a player, by giving up money you're giving up a young player or not chasing another recruit due to no space.

In America, where we can use hindsight to judge free agency methods, there is a common trend for these big Free Agent signings. They work wonderfully for the first year or two, then they lose players out the other way because of money.

The best free agency operators in American sports are the ones who target specific needs, not stars.

Will that translate to AFL? I don't know.

But we'll see which philosophy proves to be the best.

As for your actual post, I agree that Carlton haven't gone the quick fix. Betts for Thomas is a sideways movement, with a gain because Betts didn't fulfil a list need (can replace him positionally). Hampson for pick 28 for a savage or Doherty is another sideways movement for list needs, again a gain because you have 3 big ruckmen and don't need them all.

Carlton had too many small forward and too many rucks... Now you traded one of each to boost your midfield. That's good trading.

My only worry is Thomas being the target at that price. It's overs. Doesn't sound like a big deal now, but using American sports as a template, it could result in losing a couple out the other way in 2-3 years. It's at risk of being short sighed, but not much. Overall, it's good trading.

Free agency is new to AFL. It's pretty exciting I think.

I also think Thomas is a very good player.

There is something that does worry me however, and that's the attitude of 'giving up nothing'. Even if you don't give up a pick or a player, by giving up money you're giving up a young player or not chasing another recruit due to no space.

In America, where we can use hindsight to judge free agency methods, there is a common trend for these big Free Agent signings. They work wonderfully for the first year or two, then they lose players out the other way because of money.

The best free agency operators in American sports are the ones who target specific needs, not stars.

Will that translate to AFL? I don't know.

But we'll see which philosophy proves to be the best.

As for your actual post, I agree that Carlton haven't gone the quick fix. Betts for Thomas is a sideways movement, with a gain because Betts didn't fulfil a list need (can replace him positionally). Hampson for pick 28 for a savage or Doherty is another sideways movement for list needs, again a gain because you have 3 big ruckmen and don't need them all.

Carlton had too many small forward and too many rucks... Now you traded one of each to boost your midfield. That's good trading.

My only worry is Thomas being the target at that price. It's overs. Doesn't sound like a big deal now, but using American sports as a template, it could result in losing a couple out the other way in 2-3 years. It's at risk of being short sighed, but not much. Overall, it's good trading.

Depends on the price we are paying him and whether he can get back to his best. $625k to $700k, most teams can manage a player or two on that. Judd has taken a cut in his latest contract and we have a few players nearing the end that are on reasonable but not exorbitant earners. We could even front end Thomas' contract at this stage. Nothing pressing too hard on our cap at present.

Players leaving for a flag tilt is going to be our big issue if we don't get a move on.

I appreciate Paul Chapman might only have a couple of years left but he is quality, I'd prefer him over Eddie Betts, Hampson and a couple of others

Depends on the price we are paying him and whether he can get back to his best. $625k to $700k, most teams can manage a player or two on that. Judd has taken a cut in his latest contract and we have a few players nearing the end that are on reasonable but not exorbitant earners. We could even front end Thomas' contract at this stage. Nothing pressing too hard on our cap at present.

Players leaving for a flag tilt is going to be our big issue if we don't get a move on.
I'd reckon you'd be front ending.

When's Murphy out of contract? If Gibbs continues on this years form he'd be looking for a pay rise and if Kruezer ever hits his straps injury wise you'll need even more cap room to keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

PAUL CHAPMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back