PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

sataris it's nearly time, fren.

Showing ignorance here, but can drivers cause huge instability issues with Windows?

Used to get BSOD every few months, then after getting some Logitech speakers, my sounds went completely. Drivers and everything seemed ok. Refreshed install of Windows and everything was ok for a few days before the sound issue returned.

Then got to a stage where Windows wonʻt even boot.

Iʻve gotten myself in a spot of bother trying to install Windows from scratch and stuck in a vicious loop of changing boot order from BIOS settings, the one of many failed options I can get some sort of success is doing a clean install, but then canʻt install due to the ʻthe selected disk is of the gpt partition styleʻ.

Iʻve looked at a million youtube videos around CMD solutions but none work.

Anyone experienced anything similar or can offer any advice?

Have an expensive paperweight at the moment :(

Some drivers can.

With the GPT message it sounds like something is borked with Windows? Try booting from legacy mode in BIOS. I don't think that should matter on a system that has had a previous functioning Windows install though so I'm not sure how a sudden UEFI issue could arise. Maybe flash the BIOS and update it, then see if you can fresh install Windows from a USB drive or something. I usually get one or those messages when installing Windows to a brand new system on a new drive, but I can't remember if it's MBR or GBT and I open a command prompt to convert the drive. I don't do a lot of Windows installs so I'm kind of stabbing blind a bit there.

Some drivers can.

With the GPT message it sounds like something is borked with Windows? Try booting from legacy mode in BIOS. I don't think that should matter on a system that has had a previous functioning Windows install though so I'm not sure how a sudden UEFI issue could arise. Maybe flash the BIOS and update it, then see if you can fresh install Windows from a USB drive or something. I usually get one or those messages when installing Windows to a brand new system on a new drive, but I can't remember if it's MBR or GBT and I open a command prompt to convert the drive. I don't do a lot of Windows installs so I'm kind of stabbing blind a bit there.

I fumbled my way through in the end with some guides with command prompt, as well as Windows 10 Home version. I inadvertently wiped a drive that had a majority of my games on it too in my haste. Too much stress with that, work and home with the commie virus lol.

Hoping new install will stop some of the crashes too as I've been hesitant to sign up for raids because of it.

Last edited:
I fumbled my way through in the end with some guides with command prompt, as well as Windows 10 Home version. I inadvertently wiped a drive that had a majority of my games on it too in my haste. Too much stress with that, work and home with the commie virus lol.

Hoping new install will stop some of the crashes too as I've been hesitant to sign up for raids because of it.

It's worth doing that once in a while anyway. I'm pretty bad of going a few years without a fresh install myself. If I weren't building a new system in the imminent future I'd be doing it too as I've started to notice a few gremlins creeping into my current OS install.

Was just about to post that site for you, comes with a big price tag.

The top one will, that price being thrown around isn't anywhere near as much as I had thought so let's see if it's true. The real value will be the 3070 if everything we've heard is even a little correct. That will be around 2080-2080ti performance for $1k AUD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst that can happen with hoses top is a trickling sound, as long as the pump isn't the highest part of the loop it is ok imo. There isn't enough water flow to push large amounts of air through for the pump to run dry. As someone who works on electric motors so regularly repair things like water pumps and have seen the results of issues such as water hammering and burning out seals from running dry I thought my AIO wouod be something I'd at least be completely across. Seems there is always something to learn. Great demonstration regardless.

This sounds pretty neat. https://wccftech.com/1usmus-unveils-clocktuner-performance-boosting-utility-for-amd-ryzen-3000-cpus/

I haven't had an AMD CPU in about 12 years so this coming build will be my first Zen one. Do you Ryzen fam use Ryzen Master software or OC from BIOS (whether that be auto or manual)? Or do you just OC your memory speed/timings at 1:1 with the FCLK and leave the CPU stock? Whether I look at the popular tech tubers or read places like Reddit I get conflicting advice. Sounds like many simply OC their memory and just auto OC their CPU in BIOS then forget about it. Others only do memory.

There isn't a whole lot to be gained from manually overclocking Ryzen CPUs afaik - PBO does a more than adequate job of that.

I don't think you get quite as much out of OCing Intel any more either. Gone are the days where OCing your CPU got you 10%+ performance for free

My 8700k is currently stock for that reason. I couldn't hit anything over 4.8ghz all cores with comfortable 24/7 temps. I could get a manageable 4.7ghz with a decent vcore and reasonable temps but the pay off in game was like 5% frames at the most over stock turbo. Unless you can dial in a meaningful OC it's just not worth it.

Has there been a leakier launch than Ampere? Still a week until the reveal!!

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back