PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Info is a bit confusing at the moment. When Ampere was first known I assumed it was the successor to Volta given the name of it. In 2018 Volta was being talked about in a way that it was the gaming successor to Pascal. What would I know though and the internet is pretty convinced Ampere is a gaming architecture. Even as of the last few days some news sites are still claiming we'll hear about Ampere and gaming in a couple weeks from NVIDIA's event. However on the most recent HUB Q&A Tim echoed what I thought and that's Ampere is a workstation GPU and we won't hear about gaming next month. But then why would NVIDIA announce it with terminology like "get amped"? Still, I'm more sure now we'll hear about Hopper as the 3000 series a couple months later with a late Q3/early Q4 launch.

Remember how Intel was dead in the water because AMD released good CPUs? Someone probably should have told Intel............
Largely off the back of data centre stuff. Looking at desktop specifically you see that they are reducing in volume but what they are selling is selling at a higher price.
Breaking things down on a group basis, many of Intel’s internal reporting groups saw double-digit growth over the year-ago quarter. Client computing revenue was up 14% to $9.8B, and data center revenue was an even bigger winner with $7.0B in revenue, a 43% jump over the previous year. The significant growth in the data center segment comes as Intel saw both higher average selling prices and higher volumes overall, with ASPs and volumes growing by 13% and 27% respectively. Overall Intel attributes the data center gains to the company’s “broad strength” in the market, though they did note that they’ve seen a 53% year-over-year increase in revenue from cloud service providers.

As for client computing revenue, the biggest gains there came from notebook ASPs, which were up 22% over the year-ago quarter. Other client metrics were relatively tame; notebook volumes actually slipped 3%, while on the desktop, ASPs were up 4% while volumes were down 4%.

I think some people forget just how big Intel is and just how much name recognition/good will they have, and just how much reluctance to change there is on the commercial side of things (which majorly benefits them because system integrators, laptop manufacturers, server operators and corporations don't want to move to AMD even if AMD products are objectively better right now) when they put out those "Intel is dying" hot takes.

That said, none of that refutes the fact that Intel obviously got complacent as a company. didn't innovate enough and are yet to respond to AMD actually getting their shit together and providing better CPUs at better value

We should have used sarcasm tags :p
I know you were being sarcastic, but there are plenty of short sighted PC fanboys out there that do parrot the "Intel is dead/dying" meme because their desktop parts are stuck on 14m++++++ (or however many pluses it is now)

Humble brag time. At the start of the year I started putting away some pocket money for my new build this year. It's only May and I just realised I'm already there. I guess it's time to increase the budget and see how silly I can make it.

Anyone see the 10th Feb Intel stuff? 10900 looks interesting. Yet another pin configuration though. Can only imagine how hot and thirsty it will be trying to cram even more cores onto Skylake. My 8700k is bad enough.

Anyone see the 10th Feb Intel stuff? 10900 looks interesting.
HUB and GN seemed more positive about the mid-range because its basically 9th Gen i9 > 10th Gen i7 and 9th Gen i7 > 10th Gen i5 (for the 10600 at least). Might actually make getting a 10700k or 10600k viable from a value POV, although you will need a new mobo because of the new LGA1200 socket.

Yet another pin configuration though. Can only imagine how hot and thirsty it will be trying to cram even more cores onto Skylake. My 8700k is bad enough.
One possible good thing out of the new socket is that Gamers Nexus believes that it might need to exist be because Intel are planning to allow future compatibility on it due to Intel telling them that they needed it now to allow for "future incremental IO features"

But yes, these will not stop the heater jokes from transitioning to be about Intel now

De8auer's video is my favourite on it so far, even if it's just for the intro and his dry Kraut personality. Made a great point about 1200 being redundant. Too bad he is still bound by NDA so he couldn't talk about how it performed. I've got an interest in how the 10900k goes, otherwise I'll stick with my plan to shift to a 4900x when that stuff comes out pending on the incremental clock increase and IPC and CCX improvements.

Humble brag time. At the start of the year I started putting away some pocket money for my new build this year. It's only May and I just realised I'm already there. I guess it's time to increase the budget and see how silly I can make it.

Blew my budget completely with the 3950x,

So now I'm looking to get into even further trouble with the Mrs by getting an LG27850B as a second monitor.

If I die, I'll donate to my PC to whomever posts next.

Last edited:
Blew my budget completely with the 3950x,

So now I'm looking to get into even further trouble with the Mrs by getting an LG27850B as a second monitor.

If I die, I'll donate to my PC to whomever posts next.

Yeah, I think I've decided on getting a Asus XG27UQ as a second monitor for things that don't support 21:9. It's to that point where I'm looking for things to spend money on.

When the only news is coming from places like Tweak Town and WCCFT then that probably means there is no news. News keeps changing from week to week so I think it's safe to say that no one knows but if this is then I think it's pretty much confirmed that Ampere isn't a gaming GPU. At least none of the "leaked" ones are. Firstly the HPC one usually comes first so that's probably what we'll hear about at GTC. Then this is saying that it's got 48gb of HBM2. As if that will go on a consumer/gaming card.

The most important thing I think in this link though is

The NVIDIA GeForce RTX lineup was also unveiled in late 2018. We have internally confirmed with several sources that NVIDIA's AIB partners are aggressively clearing up their GeForce RTX (Turing GPU) inventories ahead of a big launch of a consumer-based GeForce lineup in Q3 2020. Q3 2020 also makes sense because that is where Computex 2020 has been shifted to but NVIDIA might select another venue to host its GPU (GeForce) announcement.

If that's Ampere then the specs are rubbish. Otherwise RTX 3000 is going to be Hopper or it will be like Pascal with HPC first and gaming later, and we might not know more until after GTC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't make much from this. Usually GTC is for HPC/enterprise/worky stuff, but then "Get Amped" sounds gamer'ish. Work coming first? Same or different chips like Volta and Turing? Or worky and gamey/consumer on same architecture like Pascal? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

All I know is 3080ti better be a launch item like it was for 2000. The wait would be unbearable. I think I'd actually set fire to my wallet by getting a 3080, flipping it and getting a 3080ti later.

Edit: this just popped up on my YouTube. Not big on rumour stuff from random tubers but it addressed quite a bit I was wondering.

Anyone use Amd Ryzen 5 2600 16gb ram RTX 2060 ventus as I am about to trade my 1060 6gb for a RTX 2060 and was wondering thoughts

I couldn't make much from this. Usually GTC is for HPC/enterprise/worky stuff, but then "Get Amped" sounds gamer'ish. Work coming first? Same or different chips like Volta and Turing? Or worky and gamey/consumer on same architecture like Pascal? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

All I know is 3080ti better be a launch item like it was for 2000. The wait would be unbearable. I think I'd actually set fire to my wallet by getting a 3080, flipping it and getting a 3080ti later.

Edit: this just popped up on my YouTube. Not big on rumour stuff from random tubers but it addressed quite a bit I was wondering.

3080Ti sounds like another reason for me to get in trouble :D

3080Ti sounds like another reason for me to get in trouble :D

I got permission tonight and it was quite liberating.

Saw an AIO/air build on Twitter tonight inside a Meshify S2. It's definitely way too big. What a shame. That confirms it then that I'm going to get a NZXT h710. Going to start my checklist this week and keep my eye out for sales. Was going to recycle a few things but decided to say stuff it and go full new. I think the only things I won't be able to get early are the AIO in case there is some sort of mounting change to Zen 3 and needs a different bracket, and CableMod extensions if there are any changes to the ATX pin configuration. I'll assume 3200 cl14 and 3600 cl16 will be the sweet spot too for memory as that's something I'll definitely and try and get early before the mad rush.

The excitement begins.

I don't mind this. There isn't much reason to upgrade every CPU like you could argue for a GPU, so either you're in the camp of always wanting the latest and greatest where getting a new mobo isn't a big deal, or you're getting your CPU for the next 3-5 years where it doesn't matter as you'll likely be required to get a new mobo regardless. I guess it just sucks if your mobo dies a couple years later and you can't find a compatible socket to replace it with. Some of the defence of it is pretty funny though after they just slammed z490.

At least knowing that I shouldn't have any issues getting my AIO and sleeved cables in advance.

I don't mind this. There isn't much reason to upgrade every CPU like you could argue for a GPU, so either you're in the camp of always wanting the latest and greatest where getting a new mobo isn't a big deal, or you're getting your CPU for the next 3-5 years where it doesn't matter as you'll likely be required to get a new mobo regardless. I guess it just sucks if your mobo dies a couple years later and you can't find a compatible socket to replace it with. Some of the defence of it is pretty funny though after they just slammed z490.

At least knowing that I shouldn't have any issues getting my AIO and sleeved cables in advance.

I figure I should be able to update my 3950X in a couple of years with the 4950x on the same mobo.

I figure I should be able to update my 3950X in a couple of years with the 4950x on the same mobo.

Do you recall if x570 were similarly priced to x470 boards at launch? Just trying to lock in some loose costs. I think I've got everything sorted in my head what I want already.

Also lol @ Corsair Dominator prices. 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 cl16 kit is nearly a grand cheaper and is also b-die from every reference I can find. A shame because I wanted as much of my bling to be Corsair as possible to it can run through just iCUE. G.Skill is Asus Aura at least and I'll most likely grab an Asus GPU and Crosshair Hero. Been happy enough with my current G.Skill RGB memory already anyway.

Do you recall if x570 were similarly priced to x470 boards at launch? Just trying to lock in some loose costs. I think I've got everything sorted in my head what I want already.

Sorry, no idea, found this though https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tec...md-x470-motherboards-announced-so-far/asus-24

You can just convert the SGD to AUD.

In terms of even more money spent, I've bought a proper res/pump and am going to be binning the distro plate. ****ing useless. Just waiting for pieces to arrive, and then I can do a complete teardown/rebuild :D

going to try bending the PETG myself this time, because I'm a masochist.

Sorry, no idea, found this though https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tec...md-x470-motherboards-announced-so-far/asus-24

You can just convert the SGD to AUD.

In terms of even more money spent, I've bought a proper res/pump and am going to be binning the distro plate. ******* useless. Just waiting for pieces to arrive, and then I can do a complete teardown/rebuild :D

going to try bending the PETG myself this time, because I'm a masochist.

THIS is why I'm not doing a custom loop. I can't help myself and would be forever draining and pulling it apart.

Cheers for the link, I'll give it a looky soon. From memory the CPUs were roughly the same price too so if I just allow $800 +/-10% for the 4900x I should be right.

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back