2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some people forget how much better Jones was at EP. Meeks too was much better in the VFL than he is in the WAFL. Saying that they’re limited players so it is what it is, is a cop out. Have a look what they were before entering a supposed elite professional regime.

Banfield too was very good for Claremont. He was a shadow of that player yesterday.

I hope you guys are right and we’re doing a great job by industry standards. We’ve certainly invested heavily in this area so it should be working. I don’t see it. I see plenty of room for improvement.

It just goes to show, our trainers, development staff and coaches take great young talent and stifle their development. Other teams achieve far more with lower ranked players and long term injury prospects than we do with top draft picks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was pretty disappointed that they couldn't get up yesterday. Valente and North were good. Not a good day in the WAFL for me, Peel didn't do that well, and Swannies choked in the last few minutes again.

Tucker looked really good in the center first two games. Then he’s been shifted and he’s disappeared. Seems more of a coaching thing than development.

And I was thinking today it can’t be a coincidence that good ball users come to the club and get worse: Bewley, Crowden

Is there something in the way our conditioning people train them that causes a change?
Schultz and Crowden have lost pace and Colyer has lost his zip. He had express pace at Essendon and he’s not of the age where you lose it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes i am sure you have the data for their speed. yes they are being intentionally slowed down. great work on your conspiracy and the fact that you have been on here for 13-14 years to come up with that speaks volume. who is slowing you down?

Agree with the Wests write-up almost exactly.

Tom North will demand selection if he keeps playing the way he is. North, Valente, Cox and Darcy (even though I've seen him play better) were a cut above the rest where you could see they are too good to play WAFL too long, especially at their age. Sturt and Carter have a lot to like about them. Sturts frame will likely hurt him the most in backing up week in, week out so I expect his performances to go up and down through the year. Clearly has something about him though.

Speaking of, we could have something with Carter. Very good over head for his size and frame, terrific speed and a thirst for the contest. Think he'll get a game some time this year. If Wilson keeps up his attitude it might be sooner than later...

Speaking of, we could have something with Carter. Very good over head for his size and frame, terrific speed and a thirst for the contest. Think he'll get a game some time this year. If Wilson keeps up his attitude it might be sooner than later...
He's Cat B so needs to be upgraded - not sure we'll do that this year. There's no rush. I'm just glad he's building his confidence - looked really good the year before his draft year but that injury seemed to affect him mentally as well as physically - possibly a blessing because we managed to grab him without spending a pick. He looks back on track now. We could have some great speedy half back options via the NGA (Carter, Walker bros etc) coming through soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't keep delisting players and Draft the same type or worse player every year and then said they are spud and lack game experience , they are either not develop properly or the recruiters did a bad job in identify talent . Liam Ryan could easily be drafted using Strnadica rookie pick .

You could always draft someone better after the event. Late ND and Rookie picks are an even higher lottery. It’s the top 30 picks we needed to make sure we nail.

Pitt (2010 - unlucky with injury), Sheridan/Forster (2011), Simpson (2012), Apeness (2013). I haven’t incl. Weller, Crozier or Tucker as they are solid pick ups.

I think all of us were a little bemused by the drafting of so many rucks in two drafts across 2016/17 drafts. Darcy/ Strnadica (2016) & Meeks/ Jones(2017). From memory the earliest pick out of Strnadica, Meeks, Jones was pick 69 in ND. Brad Lloyd is gone now so we just have to make the best of it. See if the assistant coaches can make one of Meeks/Jones worth keeping for 2020 because at this stage I’d delist both.

I actually think Strnadica was drafted as a fwd who could pinch hit ruck, but he showed more promise as a ruck. Either way he isn’t setting the world on fire and your original point was why we delisted Strnadica. As someone else pointed out he was OOC and the other two were in contract. At the end of the day by the close of 2019 they would have each had two years to show their worth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You could always draft someone better after the event. Late ND and Rookie picks are an even higher lottery. It’s the top 30 picks we needed to make sure we nail.

Pitt (2010 - unlucky with injury), Sheridan/Forster (2011), Simpson (2012), Apeness (2013). I haven’t incl. Weller, Crozier or Tucker as they are solid pick ups.

I think all of us were a little bemused by the drafting of so many rucks in two drafts across 2016/17 drafts. Darcy/ Strnadica (2016) & Meeks/ Jones(2017). From memory the earliest pick out of Strnadica, Meeks, Jones was pick 69 in ND. Brad Lloyd is gone now so we just have to make the best of it. See if the assistant coaches can make one of Meeks/Jones worth keeping for 2020 because at this stage I’d delist both.

I actually think Strnadica was drafted as a fwd who could pinch hit ruck, but he showed more promise as a ruck. Either way he isn’t setting the world on fire and your original point was why we delisted Strnadica. As someone else pointed out he was OOC and the other two were in contract. At the end of the day by the close of 2019 they would have each had two years to show their worth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What is the purpose of Eagles having their own team and less skillfully top up players in WAFL , playing the same structure as their senior team regardless of injuries . Same as Richmond VFL and Boxhill team , with Cox, Tab , Lobb all capable of playing Forward /ruck I don't really see the point of having so many ruck/forward on your list.
* Playing for last year bottom team east Fremantle , 1 goal, 11 disposal and 5 mark vs Subiaco as forward /ruck is actually not that bad for Strnadica.

Last edited:
Marc Webb has unfortunately yet to utilise my provided thesaurus but managed to cut down his use of 'strong' to just 5 players this week. The lucky winners are Darcy, Banfield, North, Sturt and Bewley.

The favourite word for this week was 'good', appearing 11 times across 7 players. Doubly 'good' were Crowden, Cox, Meek and Darcy - congratulations boys.

Darcy the obvious teacher's pet with 2 x 'good's and a 'strong'. He was the only player to be both 'good' and 'strong'. At the other end of the scale sits Jones, who was the only player not to be described as either.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-04-17/wafl-watch-coachs-comments-rd-2

Amazing that Grundy's total dominance against the Bulldogs didn't translate into dominance of the game itself. We need to get better at the kind of things the Bulldogs were doing rather than chase the dream of ruck dominance Collingwood had.

But in the end it did, when you have that many HOs. Collingwood midfield finally got on top with his dominance.

One thing that annoyed me was Hickey’s clearances- 7. Sure Lobb won the tap, but his follow up work was poor. Hickey just roved his taps and broke though and got centre clearances at will. Lobb needs to learn that, once he ball hits the deck it’s still game on.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back