2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy moves like one of those baby giraffes in a discovery channel documentary. Shame, because there's plenty of things to like there otherwise
I feel like a couple of preseasons could fix it, possibly still getting used to his body? Bit yeah, you can see why we wanted him.

I thought Reidy had some telling clearances late. Probably had more kicks in a game than he's had in a while, but just in some crucial moments where Peel needed to build up some pressure in forward half, he used his strength out of the stoppage to force it forward with a kick.
I’m also a bigger fan of Knobel but thought Reidy was pretty good today. Eastland is the state ruckman and generally had the better of the previous ruck duels. Was an even contest but I reckon on this occasion Reidy was marginally better.

Cooper only with the 4 disposals. Didn’t watch the game, but that’s underwhelming.

Needs to take the next step in his 2nd year.
Actually I also remember he got pinged for HTB on one occasion when he clearly got a handball out. Each of the commentators saw he got a clear handball out. Got no love whatsoever from the umpires.

He has a big pre-season coming up Cooper. Needs to add size and improve his endurance. He is a bit banged up I reckon. In the backend of the season he has struggled.

I thought Reidy had some telling clearances late. Probably had more kicks in a game than he's had in a while, but just in some crucial moments where Peel needed to build up some pressure in forward half, he used his strength out of the stoppage to force it forward with a kick.
Yeah he was good in those instances, he just offers absolutely nothing outside of the ruck battle. His disposal is about average for ruck but he almost can't compete in marking contests.

Yeah he was good in those instances, he just offers absolutely nothing outside of the ruck battle. His disposal is about average for ruck but he almost can't compete in marking contests.

Anyone that's rucking at Fremantle needs to be able to play forward when they rotate with Jackson. That was part of the issue with Darcy this year where his fitness/injuries must have been significant enough that he hardly ever went forward.

Reidy seems to get himself out of position when competing in marking contests or is easily bodied out and doesn't seem to have strong marking hands at this stage. He doesn't seem uncoordinated, whereas with Knobel you think his body will get stronger and he's got a leap.

JDG is the same height and weight, can kick goals from anywhere and bursts from stoppage. Players like that can turn a game on its heels!
Yep definitely don’t want to lose Noddy!!
Simpson and Stanley both pretty disappointing
I thought Erasmis was pretty good and generally used the ball quite well-hopefully gets more chances in the big boys next year.
I noticed Hughes copped a fair bit of shit on here during the game but I actually thought he played a good game-however I still don’t want him playing for Freo next year

Anyone that's rucking at Fremantle needs to be able to play forward when they rotate with Jackson. That was part of the issue with Darcy this year where his fitness/injuries must have been significant enough that he hardly ever went forward.

Reidy seems to get himself out of position when competing in marking contests or is easily bodied out and doesn't seem to have strong marking hands at this stage. He doesn't seem uncoordinated, whereas with Knobel you think his body will get stronger and he's got a leap.
That’s why next year, if we keep both Reidy and Knobel, we need to play them both in the league team, once Tabs And possibly Kuek are gone, there’ll be room up forward for Voss and a resting ruck. Just alternate them with 50% main ruck time each.

There have already been some good reports so for some I'll just do the negatives.

Erasmus. Poor bloke was scragged at every stoppage. Should have had about 16 frees not 4 (some of which weren't stoppage holds). He played well, with the odd moment thrown in that make the doubts return.

Brodie. Injured

Dris. His best stuff his eye catching. His front half burts and run straight at the goals are elite. I am concerned however he has a lot of other deficiencies in his game that may prevent him really kicking on and they got showcased today for mine. His tackle was slipped several times by WALF players, he loses loose ball contests to WAFL players, his field kicking is average at best and his tank is not great. His 1st and 4th quarters were instrumental in us winning the game I should emphasize, its just to me his form is not screaming sign me for 4 years right now.

Murphy. Does some great defensive stuff in their air and has great closing speed. His lack of athleticism in ground ball contests and lack of footy iq concerns me. I swear he has gotten pushed off the footy multiple times every single game I have seen. He's perfect trade make weight for mine: Not going to make it.

Davies: Excellent as other have said. Even that debacle where they gave one up in the square was mostly on Sears for being shit, despite what the commentators said. (As an aside: Geez I hate Glenn Mitchell).

Reidy: Beaten by Eastland for the first 2.5 quarters but came into it increasing over the remainder and I thought got on top in the last when it counted. Still doesn't scream AFL ruck for me (just not a good enough tap ruck to justify his lack of impact around the ground) but I've been wrong about this sort of thing before.

Simpson: Leave him there and let him learn the hard way. Or drop him for Delean. Please not any of the other Peel small non key forwards in ressies they are shit.

Tabs: Won the game for them in the last quarter coming back on after a dislocated thumb. He'll remember this game for the rest of his life because that thumb will never be 100% again.

Stanley: Sorry Judd II you are done. I have a script running even now changing all my posts boasting Ethan to Snuffs profile. I mean it'll be believable right?

Emmet: Another game where he was 80% AFL and 20% WAFL reserves.

Voss: Good in the second half. Top quality gobbing.

Hughes: He was really good, just repeatedly beat his opponents with superior athleticism and judgment. A few brain fades but hey it's par for the course.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they dont, necessarily. You can play a primary ruck off the bench.

When Jackson comes out of the forward line to relace the primary ruck, you run with just Amiss, Treacy, Sturt, Freddy and two smalls.

In fact thats my preferred structure (2 smalls) with Jacko replacing one of the smalls in the forward line off and on to create mismatched chaos, say 30% game time.

30% midfield, 30% secondary ruck and 30% resting forward.

Is Knobel as good as people are making him out to be? I haven't seen much of him but people seem to be rating him very highly.

No they dont, necessarily. You can play a primary ruck off the bench.

When Jackson comes out of the forward line to relace the primary ruck, you run with just Amiss, Treacy, Sturt, Freddy and two smalls.

In fact thats my preferred structure (2 smalls) with Jacko replacing one of the smalls in the forward line off and on to create mismatched chaos, say 30% game time.

30% midfield, 30% secondary ruck and 30% resting forward.

Sure, the No 1 ruck needs time on the bench but the preferred structure is the 3 talls, so whether it's Darcy or Reidy they have to be able to be able to go into the forward line and take a mark and to keep an opposition tall defender busy.

I agree with the not necessarily part, and it would depend on how the opposition set up their defence but we haven't signed up Darcy to 2030 just to play 66% game time in the ruck and no forward work.

I like Treacy when he's in the ruck because he works around the ground and takes marks and he's a good kick, but we can't risk the injuries now, other than to have him do it occasionally as the 3rd ruck option tactic.

Is Knobel as good as people are making him out to be? I haven't seen much of him but people seem to be rating him very highly.

I don't know whether much has been said, other than he has potential in so far that he has troubled the best rucks in the WAFL in Jones and Eastland with his leap. He's only played 7 WAFL league games. Neither Reidy or Knobel have shown that they can mark around the ground but Knobel has a different technique in the ruck.

Last edited:
How is Cooper Simpson only getting four and six touches. I was getting more touches for peel playing the same role and I'm shit haha

There have already been some good reports so for some I'll just do the negatives.

Erasmus. Poor bloke was scragged at every stoppage. Should have had about 16 frees not 4 (some of which weren't stoppage holds). He played well, with the odd moment thrown in that make the doubts return.

Brodie. Injured

Dris. His best stuff his eye catching. His front half burts and run straight at the goals are elite. I am concerned however he has a lot of other deficiencies in his game that may prevent him really kicking on and they got showcased today for mine. His tackle was slipped several times by WALF players, he loses loose ball contests to WAFL players, his field kicking is average at best and his tank is not great. His 1st and 4th quarters were instrumental in in us winning the game I should emphasize, its just to me his from is not screaming sign me for 4 years right now.

Murphy. Does some great defensive stuff in their air and has great closing speed. His lack of athleticism in ground ball contests and lack of footy iq concerns me. I swear he has gotten pushed off the footy multiple times every single game I have seen. He's perfect trade make weight for mine: Not going to make it.

Davies: Excellent as other have said. Even that debacle where they gave one up in the square was mostly on Sears for being shit, despite what the commentators said. (As an aside: Geez I hate Glenn Mitchell).

Reidy: Beaten by Eastland for the first 2.5 quarters but came into it increasing over the remainder and I thought got on top in the last when it counted. Still doesn't scream AFL ruck for me (just not a good enough tap ruck to justify his lack of impact around the ground) but I've been wrong about this sort of thing before.

Simpson: Leave him there and let him learn the hard way. Or drop him for Delean. Please not any of the other Peel small non key forwards in ressies they are shit.

Tabs: Won the game for them in the last quarter coming back on after a dislocated thumb. He'll remember this game for the rest of his life because that thumb will never be 100% again.

Stanley: Sorry Judd II you are done. I have a script running even now changing all my posts boasting Ethan to Snuffs profile. I mean it'll be believable right?

Emmet: Another game where he was 80% AFL and 20% WAFL reserves.

Voss: Good in the second half. Top quality gobbing.

Hughes: He was really good, just repeatedly beat his opponents with superior athleticism and judgment. A few brain fades but hey it's par for the course.
Nice summary and totally concur on Glenn Mitchell -smartarse boring as batshit campaigner!!

How is Cooper Simpson only getting four and six touches. I was getting more touches for peel playing the same role and I'm shit haha
Only time I have seen him get more involved is when he has gone into the midfield for little patches. Hasn't seemed to work out how to get time and space at the level especially in the forward line.

I didn't pay too much attention to Cooper Simpson today, except for when he got the ball, which wasn't too often. Am I right in thinking that he mainly played off the half forward flank? Are we are all thinking the issue is that of endurance? I mean, his agility seems very good at both WAFL / AFL level, as does his speed when he gets out in the open. Maybe his positioning is the other issue?

Random thoughts: I know there were calls somewhere earlier in the thread for him to play half back (Chris25 being credited with the first call of that) or midfield. I am actually wondering if we need to go the other way with him, and play him as a deep forward, tell him to lay tackles and kick goals? His tackle numbers are generally pretty good so that wouldn't go astray deep. At junior level he always played predominantly as a midfielder, but then so did Kysiah Pickett that everyone wants to come and join the club. He has many athletic similarities with Pickett, maybe the two differences are that he has a longer, possibly better kick and that he is almost 10cm taller.

It just feels that his endurance is not good enough at half forward / midfield, but his endurance is seen as "wasted" in the deep forward line.

Yes, for his age he’s putting up extraordinary numbers. He’s a good contested, has a big leap, is bloody tall, and can roost it 55m. He has dominated WAFL league ruckman when he’s had a chance. I suspect he’ll be steak knives in a deal, and I don’t like it, because you can see in 2-3 years he’ll be an afl level ruckman.

Yes, for his age he’s putting up extraordinary numbers. He’s a good contested, has a big leap, is bloody tall, and can roost it 55m. He has dominated WAFL league ruckman when he’s had a chance. I suspect he’ll be steak knives in a deal, and I don’t like it, because you can see in 2-3 years he’ll be an afl level ruckman.

they'll start calling us the ruckman factory at this point. Every ruck we pick up looks like a star.

I didn't pay too much attention to Cooper Simpson today, except for when he got the ball, which wasn't too often. Am I right in thinking that he mainly played off the half forward flank? Are we are all thinking the issue is that of endurance? I mean, his agility seems very good at both WAFL / AFL level, as does his speed when he gets out in the open. Maybe his positioning is the other issue?

Random thoughts: I know there were calls somewhere earlier in the thread for him to play half back (Chris25 being credited with the first call of that) or midfield. I am actually wondering if we need to go the other way with him, and play him as a deep forward, tell him to lay tackles and kick goals? His tackle numbers are generally pretty good so that wouldn't go astray deep. At junior level he always played predominantly as a midfielder, but then so did Kysiah Pickett that everyone wants to come and join the club. He has many athletic similarities with Pickett, maybe the two differences are that he has a longer, possibly better kick and that he is almost 10cm taller.

It just feels that his endurance is not good enough at half forward / midfield, but his endurance is seen as "wasted" in the deep forward line.
He doesn’t get involved enough and at times seems hesitant to go in hard and get the hard ball and take the hits that will come. He had 4 possessions. I mentioned three occasions where the umpires didn’t look after him and pay a free kick. Two ended up ball ups the other HTB when he got a clear handball out. The other matter that made things worse for him yesterday was the forwards were starved of opportunities. Wilson 5 possesions, Voss/Tabs 7 possessions. Emmett got up the ground a bit more for 10 possessions.

From what I could tell Cooper played forward line - predominantly HFF. He was deeper in the forward line at times. I think what Cooper needs is space on the outside. He doesn’t have the tank for Wing yet, so they play him High Half forward and he gets caught out of position. I see him playing the sort of role we had earmarked for Liam Henry. Wing / High half forward. He needs to jus play and challenge himself to get more involved. If we were in round 10 there would be the luxury of playing him in the reserves for a few weeks to build confidence. Other than the past 3 weeks he has been solid enough if you look at his stats. Prior to the last round vs East Perth, then finals vs Swans/Claremont he was around 12 possessions and a goal or two plus 5-7 tackles. The lift in intensity (that last round game against East Perth was a tough finals like game), has caught him out a bit. Keep him in the team and challenge him to get more involved. It will do his development the world of good and he can hit pre-season with clear knowledge of where to improve.

Next year I think a stint of half back would be worthwhile before moving him through wing and half forward.

He is young first year player that didn’t play a lot last year. I guess for the same reason I admit I’ve been a bit harsh on Delean. My concern with him is he wants to do the flashy stuff and doesn’t get many tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back