2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn’t get involved enough and at times seems hesitant to go in hard and get the hard ball and take the hits that will come. He had 4 possessions. I mentioned three occasions where the umpires didn’t look after him and pay a free kick. Two ended up ball ups the other HTB when he got a clear handball out. The other matter that made things worse for him yesterday was the forwards were starved of opportunities. Wilson 5 possesions, Voss/Tabs 7 possessions. Emmett got up the ground a bit more for 10 possessions.

From what I could tell Cooper played forward line - predominantly HFF. He was deeper in the forward line at times. I think what Cooper needs is space on the outside. He doesn’t have the tank for Wing yet, so they play him High Half forward and he gets caught out of position. I see him playing the sort of role we had earmarked for Liam Henry. Wing / High half forward. He needs to jus play and challenge himself to get more involved. If we were in round 10 there would be the luxury of playing him in the reserves for a few weeks to build confidence. Other than the past 3 weeks he has been solid enough if you look at his stats. Prior to the last round vs East Perth, then finals vs Swans/Claremont he was around 12 possessions and a goal or two plus 5-7 tackles. The lift in intensity (that last round game against East Perth was a tough finals like game), has caught him out a bit. Keep him in the team and challenge him to get more involved. It will do his development the world of good and he can hit pre-season with clear knowledge of where to improve.

Next year I think a stint of half back would be worthwhile before moving him through wing and half forward.

He is young first year player that didn’t play a lot last year. I guess for the same reason I admit I’ve been a bit harsh on Delean. My concern with him is he wants to do the flashy stuff and doesn’t get many tackles.
Well put together.

The other thing (I think ahs been mentioned), is the the WAFL clubs flood the fwd50, and try and expose Peel's young(ish) defence on rebound.

Hard as a young small when there's 30 players in the immediate area.

Really think they need to get him out to half back/wing for some stints. Or floating on the outside of a midfield stoppage?

One thing I hope we get in this years draft is a bit of hard-nosed toughness.
Times during the year I feel the AFL side lacked his a bit too.
There really is no place for hesitant players in the modern game

In his first WAFL game against the mighty Sharks, Simpson was pretty much physically smashed twice early on from memory. I wonder if that has made him a little “gun shy”? Understandable if so but obviously something he will need to get over.

In his first WAFL game against the mighty Sharks, Simpson was pretty much physically smashed twice early on from memory. I wonder if that has made him a little “gun shy”? Understandable if so but obviously something he will need to get over.
His issue is he is grossly unfit for a guy who is trying to play outside mid/half forward. Im assuming something happened over pre season only about this

How was Brodie in the bests
I wondered exactly the same. Not by any fault of him trying but his quad was buggered. When he was on he hobbled around forward 50 like me when I play back to back masters and Supers.

Erasmus, NOD, Reidy, Hughes, Bell, Davies and Selwood were best 6-7 for mine.

You could even chuck in Tabs for his last quarter heroics.

But Brodie aside from his early stuff was basically a non influence after his cork.

How was Brodie in the bests
Very likely meant to be Bell, and just one of the many writing/production errors in the piece: "It was Bell, pictured, ..." (my Blair, you're looking younger, thinner and taller than you have for a long time!); "Zac Mainwairing, who shook off three earlier misses, who kick a major...".

I can only assume that the West has made the entire sub-editor line surplus to operational needs.

It is interesting to note that Ethan got a good wrap in the write up and assessments of the players from Peel. Reading earlier on here, during the game comments, he was copping a pretty fair bagging.
In regards to Cooper Simpson and Ollie Murphy, they are still kids and having a hard time of it. I reckon a good pre pre season, followed up by a full and postive pre season will see then in good stead.Both are still learning. The club appears sold onthem both, so will give them every chance to succeed.

Some games there's nothing for forwards. The draft prospect Hamish Davis who impressed everyone with the 4 goals he kicked the previous week for Claremont only had 5 possessions.

Just looking at which players were reported for striking, maybe Hancock who played in defense yesterday was given a job on Davis.

Last edited:
Was at like a luncheon thing yesterday and a WAFL coach was around. He said Claremont to win by over 15.5 points was a certainity.

Scary how much these WAFL coaches despise the AFL ran clubs.
I have to say that it may not be, or should I say is not just the coaches. There is a group out there absolutley despises the Peel/Fremantle alignment.
Yet they keep saying that the Yellas are ok. I keep reminding them that the Yellas have screwed over the WAFL since they came into being. But they are oblivious to that. I guess it is because the YELLLAS are no threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is interesting to note that Ethan got a good wrap in the write up and assessments of the players from Peel. Reading earlier on here, during the game comments, he was copping a pretty fair bagging.
In regards to Cooper Simpson and Ollie Murphy, they are still kids and having a hard time of it. I reckon a good pre pre season, followed up by a full and postive pre season will see then in good stead.Both are still learning. The club appears sold onthem both, so will give them every chance to succeed.
Just his usual stuff ups with a lot of good stuff thrown in

We are quick to write off the youth down the road but apply rose coloured glasses to our own.

I'm not 100 percent convinced Erasmus will make it. Noddy will be 23 next year (so not that young). Reidy will be 25 next year (so also not that young). Davies might make 50 - 100 Afl games but he's no Alex Pearce. Johnson had a fairly underwhelming year. If you go and read the hype on here about Simpson pre season you'd have to consider that Simpson has been largely underwhelming too (at AFL and Peel level). Deelan, while also young, does not appear to be a Sonny Walters replacement.

The only young guy to really show potential this year was Draper - and he still has a fair way to go.

Luckily the guys aged 22-26 Sharp, Jackson, Brayshaw, Serong, Treacy, Amiss Clarke ect, all look the goods.

I have to say that it may not be, or should I say is not just the coaches. There is a group out there absolutley despises the Peel/Fremantle alignment.
Yet they keep saying that the Yellas are ok. I keep reminding them that the Yellas have screwed over the WAFL since they came into being. But they are oblivious to that. I guess it is because the YELLLAS are no threat.
the eagles WAFL side is similar to the crows in the SANFL.

Crows in the SANFL are competitive If they have a fully fit crows squad. So Crows choose 21 SANFL players each week. 14 or 15 AFL listed crows players. The rest are top up Amateurs.

Same with West coast in the WAFL. If the AFL eagles have a fully fit squad available, Then 14 or 15 AFL listed eagles players are chosen in the Eagles wafl 22. So that means 7 or 8 Eagles WAFL players are top up amateurs. But if the AFL eagles side is crippled with injury like they were in 2022 and 2023, we see how good the Eagles WAFL side is. Dead Last and belted by 10-15 goals, some times 20 goals a week fielding a squad full of Amateurs vs a Semi professional WAFL club.

I look at Dockers deal with the Peel side... Its done in Moderation.

Yeah If the dockers have 14 Dockers listed players each week when fit and 8 WAFL peel players.

But I liked Peels season last season. Made the grand final. Yes dockers had injuries. But when it came to choosing 22 peel players, it was 10-12 Dockers fringe players and 10-12 Peel players. Yeah Peel got belted in last years grand final. Yet there was a balance between playing a certain amount of Dockers listed players and Peel guys.

the eagles WAFL side is similar to the crows in the SANFL.

Crows in the SANFL are competitive If they have a fully fit crows squad. So Crows choose 21 SANFL players each week. 14 or 15 AFL listed crows players. The rest are top up Amateurs.

Same with West coast in the WAFL. If the AFL eagles have a fully fit squad available, Then 14 or 15 AFL listed eagles players are chosen in the Eagles wafl 22. So that means 7 or 8 Eagles WAFL players are top up amateurs. But if the AFL eagles side is crippled with injury like they were in 2022 and 2023, we see how good the Eagles WAFL side is. Dead Last and belted by 10-15 goals, some times 20 goals a week fielding a squad full of Amateurs vs a Semi professional WAFL club.

I look at Dockers deal with the Peel side... Its done in Moderation.

Yeah If the dockers have 14 Dockers listed players each week when fit and 8 WAFL peel players.

But I liked Peels season last season. Made the grand final. Yes dockers had injuries. But when it came to choosing 22 peel players, it was 10-12 Dockers fringe players and 10-12 Peel players. Yeah Peel got belted in last years grand final. Yet there was a balance between playing a certain amount of Dockers listed players and Peel guys.
Freo/ Peel is done under the rules set out by the WAFLand WAFC and the two clubs.
The Yellas had plenty of chances to abide by the same conditions. They wanted to take over East Perth. almost killed the club.They wanted to go alone, were granted permission, couldn't field a team, pulled out of the WAFL. Wanted to take over Perth, but Perth rejected that.
Peel and Freo is far different to what the Yellas want it to be.
They want to join the VFL ressies, and will do in the near future, if the WAFC allows it. Fremeantle are happy with the alignment with Peel anf are prepared to stay, unless advised by the WAFC.

Freo/ Peel is done under the rules set out by the WAFLand WAFC and the two clubs.
The Yellas had plenty of chances to abide by the same conditions. They wanted to take over East Perth. almost killed the club.They wanted to go alone, were granted permission, couldn't field a team, pulled out of the WAFL. Wanted to take over Perth, but Perth rejected that.
Peel and Freo is far different to what the Yellas want it to be.
They want to join the VFL ressies, and will do in the near future, if the WAFC allows it. Fremeantle are happy with the alignment with Peel anf are prepared to stay, unless advised by the WAFC.
There's actually people that think any Freo players playing WAFL finals undermines the integrity of the competition.

Okay - a team that has 13-14 AFL-listed players playing each week in the regular season needs to remove those players and get smashed by 100+ points in finals for the competition to have integrity? Riiiight...

These people just have a genuine agenda. It's almost perfect as it is.

There's actually people that think any Freo players playing WAFL finals undermines the integrity of the competition.

Okay - a team that has 13-14 AFL-listed players playing each week in the regular season needs to remove those players and get smashed by 100+ points in finals for the competition to have integrity? Riiiight...

It is theiir agenda for sure. They are rabid about it. They want all former players fromtheir clubs to return to their club. Just like it was in the beginning. You can never ever tell them that they are not their players any more. They reject that thought.
Talk about welded and rusted on.

Erasmus a good chance to poll well in the Sandover tonight. 15 games. 14 really as one was a concussion in the first couple of minutes.

The lowest possession numbers was 22. 7 times over 30 possessions and 6 times between 25-30 possessions in the other games.

Brodie 18 games. 8 x over 30 possessions including 1 over 40 possessions. 5 times between 25-30 possessions and a few games in the low 20's.

Last edited:
MMM Maybe I read the paper report wrong.
"A pivotal role in defence where he was dynamic from half back, and solid in the contest".
Each to his own I guess.
Same guy who put Brodie in the bests i think. Barely played. Couldn't walk. Did very little forward. But true. Each to their own. Wasn't trying to convince you. Just point out he made a couple big errors (as is quite usual) but mostly did some very good things. Hence the aggro on the peel thunder thread, i imagine.

Same guy who put Brodie in the bests i think. Barely played. Couldn't walk. Did very little forward. But true. Each to their own. Wasn't trying to convince you. Just point out he made a couple big errors (as is quite usual) but mostly did some very good things. Hence the aggro on the peel thunder thread, i imagine.
Yeah I understand what you are saying. But sadly Hughsie seems to cop so much bagging that is not warranted.If every player got bagged as much as him for their mistakes then I could understand it. Many make the same mistakes yet get away with it.

The best one was when we stitched up Subiaco years ago. I think we had 17 players in the grand final. And pretty good ones like Langdon, Mzungu, Suban, etc.

The Lions were crying about it being a gross injustice. Nevermind their own integrity with having more money than half the AFL clubs, let alone WAFL clubs, and winning flag after flag. I used to be a member due to paying an annual fee to use the squash courts inside the ground, and their annual report was eye opening ... they made millions from pourage rights at AFL games at Subiaco Oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back