Pelchen Can't Help Himself .... Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-nick-dal-santo/story-fnia6oss-1226680433649

ST KILDA will put a high price on Nick Dal Santo that will effectively rule the veteran midfielder off-limits in this year's trade period.

The Herald Sun understands a draft pick outside the top-20 will fail to engage the Saints. The silky midfielder, who has played all 15 games this year, has won the third most disposals and racked up the fourth most clearances at the club this season.

Head of football Chris Pelchen flagged the club's desire to stagger the retirements of its stalwarts to help nurture their youngsters over the next few years.

"We've been very mindful of the fact we've had a very talented list, which has been very successful for a decade," Pelchen said.

The Saints need to be working smarter here, not putting demands into the marketplace to get the other clubs off-side.

No-one is going to pay overs for Dal Santo even if he is a decent player, however, Pelchen is going to play all hardball like we all too well know he tries to and will not get anything.

Why would we want to trade a high quality player like Dal Santo for a pick worse than pick 20?

Can't see anything wrong with what Pelchen has said, unless we get offered a great trade for Dal Santo then I'd prefer he stayed at St Kilda.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-nick-dal-santo/story-fnia6oss-1226680433649

The Saints need to be working smarter here, not putting demands into the marketplace to get the other clubs off-side.

No-one is going to pay overs for Dal Santo even if he is a decent player, however, Pelchen is going to play all hardball like we all too well know he tries to and will not get anything.

What should the Saints be saying? maybe saying a 3rd rounder will be sufficient?

Vastly overrated player anyway, one the most overrated players of the decade IMO.

Why would we want to trade a high quality player like Dal Santo for a pick worse than pick 20?

Can't see anything wrong with what Pelchen has said, unless we get offered a great trade for Dal Santo then I'd prefer he stayed at St Kilda.

He comes with baggage dude, have you seen his personal free kick differential?? ;)

How about we don't want to do a Melbourne and trade Dal. If he wants to go to a contender who's willing to give up a top 20 pick then fine, but we're not going to just take pick 50 and get rid of him just for the sake of it.

/thread.

That too. The only real benefit to trading out older guys with currency during a rebuild is if they actually have currency. Picks > 20 are that hit and miss that its probably not worth disturbing the fabric of the club and losing another quality oldrr head the kids can learn from

That too. The only real benefit to trading out older guys with currency during a rebuild is if they actually have currency. Picks > 20 are that hit and miss that its probably not worth disturbing the fabric of the club and losing another quality oldrr head the kids can learn from

Yeah you still need to keep some quality senior players around, just because you're rebuilding doesn't mean you should try to trade every quality senior player for whatever draft picks you can get.

He comes with baggage dude, have you seen his personal free kick differential?? ;)

I've seen one part of him I wish I hadn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Saints will still have plenty of older heads to learn from if they trade Dal Santo. They currently have Jones, Dempster, Montagna, Reiwoldt, Kozi, Fisher, Blake, Milne and Hayes that will be over 30 next year. A few of them might go at the end of the year but that should still be plenty of experience for the rookies to learn from.

I'd say a pick in the 20's is more likely to be better for the Saints than having Nick for an extra 2-4 years.

Now that I think about it, I can't see too many 30 year old players being worth a top 20 pick.

The only sides that will be after Dal are sides who believe they can challenge for a flag and think Dal might provide whatever was missing in their quest for the cup. So shouldn't we receive something in return that at least represents that value?

If Dawes and Wellingham can get picks inside the top 20 then personally I think a mid second round pick should suffice. But as always, it's a negotiation process, so we'd be stupid to say that we'd accept anything below his market value at such an early stage.

If I've learned anything the last few years about rebuilds - having young talent is all well and good but you need to have senior players at the club who set the standard around the club, at training and on the field. Dal Santo might be getting on a bit but to the Saints, he is probably just as valuable as a Riewoldt, Hayes or Fisher as an onfield leader. Yes some clubs might balk at paying anything more than pick 20 but that's because his value to the saints would be greater than that pick. A club close to a flag would probably be the only realistic option given they would be looking for instant quality in the short term and can afford to forego a high draft pick.

I'm happy for him to stay & happy for him to go if someone is willing to pay a top 20 draft pick... Why wouldn't we ask for such a high amount?

If he stays, he possibly continues to be tagged, which frees up our youngsters (namely Jack Steven) to develop their game without the hassle of a tagger in their pocket. If he goes, we get another top 20 draft pick & potentially gain another 10 year player

Dawes and Wellingham went for quite high picks considering their level of ability/form at the time. Dal hasn't had his greatest year but change is as good as a holiday. Surely a team like Richmond, North or the Hawks could do worse than offer one of their better, if not best, picks?

You are clearly new here and do not understand the subtle inference\jibe at Plugger due to his often stated "the umpires are out to get us\moral Premiership victories".

The addition opf the " ;) " shoudl also have been noted that it was a stir\throw away line.

Best to simply move along if you do not get the inference when two other posters are engaged in banter then.

Dawes and Wellingham went for quite high picks considering their level of ability/form at the time. Dal hasn't had his greatest year but change is as good as a holiday. Surely a team like Richmond, North or the Hawks could do worse than offer one of their better, if not best, picks?

Completely agree, it depends what the club believes the team needs... Is Chris Dawes & pick 58 worth pick 20 & 45? Probably not, but that's what Melbourne decided to pay for him. Same with Wellingham going for pick #17 :eek:

Someone will want Dal Santo, he's a classy player & probably wouldn't get the dreaded tag in a team that has a lot more depth. Some teams may be willing to pay the overs in this case

Remove this Banner Ad

Pelchen Can't Help Himself .... Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back