Perceived spuds at your club who get a game

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield
3231222-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

We have at least 5-6 spuds that get a game weekly. When more than a quarter of your team are spuds and you're playing off against Hawthorn for a GF, you know you're in trouble.

I'll spare the delistings who didn't play much. Garland, McDonald and Howe all come close to qualifying but all bring enough good with the bad. So for this year at Melbourne the main culprits were:

Lumumba - 19 games
Dawes - 14 games
Grimes - 12 games
Matt Jones - 9 games
Spencer - 7 games

On track for spud dom but could turn it around:
Newton - 11 games
Michie - 11 games
Toumpas - 9 games

That's not a bad list for us. We've really scaled back. Getting Lumumba over from the Pies when we probably could've had Varcoe or a draft pick wasn't a wise decision. Matt Jones is an epic spud who managed to play super important roles shutting down Bob Murphy and Corey Enright in big wins and do SFA in 7 other games. Grimes is just horrible to watch. He's cooked as an AFL player but still tries hard and gives his all.

Everyone knows about Toumpas, he played some decent footy this year but still hasn't found any consistency. Michie and Newton are two imports who bring decent skills (Newton is even above average) and can find the ball. Unfortunately neither of them seem to be AFL level runners and both spend time frustratingly running in circles unable to impact play.

For some reason Grigg is seen as a spud by many opposition supporters. I don't know why, his output for an early second round draftee is exceptional, let alone for what we paid for him. Has transformed his game from outside receiver to inside grunt/run with player without anyone outside of Richmond noticing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wellingham has begun to perform this year, but prior to that he's been quite underwhelming for the expectation he brought with him.

North fans or footy fans in general? Either way I agree. What happened to this bloke? Went from being in the top handful of FB's a few years ago to now being (at best) merely a 'competent' player.

Don't even know. I think he's lost a little bit of pace, because he always seems to be trailing his opponent in marking contests (happened quite a few times on the weekend against Tippett).

At 193cm, he does get found out by the taller forwards, luckily we've had Tarrant come on in leaps and bounds this year. I still think Thompson's best position as an oversized medium defender with the freedom of providing rebound from the backline.

MacKay, van Berlo and Wright are basically the 'gold pass' triad of Adelaide. Wright has thankfully finally been banished and not looked like returning and MacKay is teetering on the edge too.

"Tory Dickson is a VFL level spud." - opposition supporters every week
Would be happy as Larry if Dickson took over Travis Cloke Being John Malkovich style for a while.
bEINGtRAVISc.jpg.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back