Peter Bell : "Jobe should be stood down" - ADEL ADDY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can't just stand down Jobe.

ASADA can't get a tape of OTC and work from there. As Jobe said all the players have spoken to ASADA. And they most likely have admitted what Jobe admitted. If Jobe gets suspended, everyone in the team get suspended. The club can't field a team next week.

And the AFL sat in on the interviews, they know which players. The AFL will do nothing what will impact on the money they bring in.

At present pretty much what they are doing. We will see once the ASADA report comes down if they are capable of doing their job correctly.
What if It turns out Jobe was among the players not to have been administered the drug i.e. in the 'control' group as part of Dank's maverick science operation? The players all signed up to recieving whatever was on offer and were given a range of 'drugs' OR not- so from Jobe's point of view he thinks he could well have been taking AOD but this whole 'experiment' leaves open the door to say, or indeed prove via documentation of the said 'trials', that some players were not administered specific banned substances. Maybe this is why Dank can 'gaurantee' Jobe has done nothing wrong?
Or not...

What if It turns out Jobe was among the players not to have been administered the drug i.e. in the 'control' group as part of Dank's maverick science operation? The players all signed up to recieving whatever was on offer and were given a range of 'drugs' OR not- so from Jobe's point of view he thinks he could well have been taking AOD but this whole 'experiment' leaves open the door to say, or indeed prove via documentation of the said 'trials', that some players were not administered specific banned substances. Maybe this is why Dank can 'gaurantee' Jobe has done nothing wrong?
Or not...

If that is the case then so be it. I am not the one saying he should be stood down now. By the way I doubt that there is a control group.

Me
If that is the case then so be it. I am not the one saying he should be stood down now. By the way I doubt that there is a control group.
Me too Baldur- but this is the kinda stuff they may be clinging to though? Wasn't really in response to your post sorry- just thinking aloud

Has Capper and Jacko been quoted yet?
Why post this, because neither have a well regarded reputation? Compare Bell and they may all be tarnished by the same brush?

Bell is very well respected and considered of the utmost integrity. A fantastic football career, Bell's legal background, work as a media commentator and history as a player advocate/representative with the AFLPA, should mean that his opinions are at least given a mediocum of respect and consideration.

Instead you are trying to shoot the messenger by lumping him together with Capper FFS.

EDIT: further to this, I am not necessarily for standing Watson down, because that is not the kind of person I am. Nor do I assume guilt. My rather emotional stance, like that for Cousins, is usually one that sues for patience, mercy and understanding (not saying I am a good bloke).

However, that was a pretty underhanded attack on Bell's credibility and therefore position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough and maybe there is a very minute chance they will not lose points, but if they do, what happens to the teams they have beaten and % etc.

This. I'm not sure how they will manage it. Teams that played the cheats twice and lost both games would be disadvantaged against teams that only played them and lost once.

Why post this, because neither have a well regarded reputation? Compare Bell and they may all be tarnished by the same brush?

Bell is very well respected and considered of the utmost integrity. A fantastic football career, Bell's legal background, work as a media commentator and history as a player advocate/representative with the AFLPA, should mean that his opinions are at least given a mediocum of respect and consideration.

Instead you are trying to shoot the messenger by lumping him together with Capper FFS.

Peter Bell might walk on water - but it's just another opinion.

This. I'm not sure how they will manage it. Teams that played the cheats twice and lost both games would be disadvantaged against teams that only played them and lost once.

The teams that lost to the dons should have done better, rather than relying on some misguided notion that they suffered some sort of disadvantage.

Win the footy - kick goals - win games of footy.

Or not...

This busines of experimentation by Dank, if it turns out to be true, is a further complication for ASADA - I'm not sure why people are pouncing on it as if it's something which proves the guilt of the player or something.

Once again, I point people to the Same Riley case - several degrees more serious than anything we are talking about here - and she got off.

EDIT: further to this, I am not necessarily for standing Watson down, because that is not the kind of person I am. Nor do I assume guilt. My rather emotional stance, like that for Cousins, is usually one that sues for patience, mercy and understanding (not saying I am a good bloke).

However, that was a pretty underhanded attack on Bell's credibility and therefore position.

It's not that their views are similarly informed. It's that their views are similarly irrelevant.

We've only heard from Bell because he said something to the media that they thought they could get some mileage out of. As usual, they were right.

It's not that their views are similarly informed. It's that their views are similarly irrelevant.

We've only heard from Bell because he said something to the media that they thought they could get some mileage out of. As usual, they were right.
Irrelevant how?

Certainly not to the public discourse and how events are viewed. The intention was to undermine the credibility of Bell's opinion, that was clear.

However, whilst it is correct that he is not directly involved in the investigation, these events have a wider football impact and they do not exist in vacuum. Any findings, repercussions, how they are interpreted and the public reaction, will have an impact on future events, not just to the players, club and officials involved.

Irrelevant how?

Certainly not to the public discourse and how events are viewed. The intention was to undermine the credibility of Bell's opinion, that was clear.

However, whilst it is correct that he is not directly involved in the investigation, these events have a wider football impact and they do not exist in vacuum.

Irrelevant in the those digging for the truth will take as much notice of Bell as they will of Capper.

The only wider impact his comments have are as media fodder. If people choose to base their thoughts on that, it's their business.

Irrelevant in the those digging for the truth will take as much notice of Bell as they will of Capper.

The only wider impact his comments have are as media fodder. If people choose to base their thoughts on that, it's their business.
Sanctions may be handed down by both ASADA and the AFL. The AFL are very malleable to perceived negative publicity and their actions can be both negatively and positively influenced by this fact.

Bell's opinions however are certainly not irrelevant to the wider debate going on amongst the fans, who are the true stake holders of the game, nor to the potential historical context that will be given to these events.

Informed opinions matter and media onions, negative or positive have influence. Public opinion also often determines future policy.

Your position is only this dismissive because you are so strongly opposed to his POV.

Sam Riley's case was never about systematic team doping, and in the time since it occurred the anti doping rules including the strict liability provisions have been tightened up so in fact there are very few similarities at all.

Nevertheless, Sam Riley gave a positive test for a substance which was specifically listed as banned.

What do we have here so far?

Whichever way you look at it - the Sam Riley case was far, far more serious.

Got off, no case to answer.

Nevertheless, Sam Riley gave a positive test for a substance which was specifically listed as banned.

What do we have here so far?

Whichever way you look at it - the Sam Riley case was far, far more serious.

Got off, no case to answer.

I reckon Sam would go now if that happened, but as others have said the WADA code is continually changed and generally strengthened, only because athletes are always looking and finding new ways to cheat.

Sam got done for a positive test for dextropropoxyphene, which she claimed was in a headache tablet given to her by her coach. Now I tend to believe her because I can't think of how that drug would help her perform. It's not a masking drug that I know of and really it's only effect would be as a mild pain reliever. I guess you could make a claim it would dull the pain at the end of a swimming event, but it's in the opioid category and could well make you a bit sluggish and dopey too, not really the aim of PEDs in that situation.

In terms of far more serious, she had a positive drug test, so yes that is serious. But more serious than 40 injections, c'mon now, you have to be kidding.

The teams that lost to the dons should have done better, rather than relying on some misguided notion that they suffered some sort of disadvantage.

Win the footy - kick goals - win games of footy.

misguided notion? LOL.

Which part of the notion is misguided? The one where Essendon are running around with a team that were juiced up for all of last year and most of the pre-season this year?

Or are we misguided about the part where Jobe Watson admits he took an illegal drug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back