Peter Gordon Hero or Control Freak

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am in two minds here. One is that Peter Gordon has done so much for club. The leader in saving the club in 1989, President when we won the flag, donated $M of dollars and 1,000's of hours.

The latest saga with Susan Alberti a life long supporter who has also donated millions of dollars and served the club is just plain sad to see and not good for the club. Obviously there has been a falling out with Peter and may have been the reason she left her position last year.

There is along list of people that have left because they could not work with Peter.

All consideredI think Peter must be congratulated for what he has done but it maybe time we should be looking for another President.

Any suggestions Luke Darcy?

All I know is that I feel a lot of people get a free pass because we won a flag. Which is great because that's what they all work to achieve, but if we didn't have that remarkable 4 weeks of footy then a fair few key figures at the club would be looked at in a different light.

Both, clearly.
If what you think is true, and it looks to me from the outside that it surely is. Then for all his good points, his bad points are turning people, good people, away from our club. Hopefully some of his good points are self reflection and humility and he realises its time to move on with dignity. Thanks Peter, but your time is up.

If what you think is true, and it looks to me from the outside that it surely is. Then for all his good points, his bad points are turning people, good people, away from our club. Hopefully some of his good points are self reflection and humility and he realises its time to move on with dignity. Thanks Peter, but your time is up.
Nobody is perfect - the qualities that make him a control freak are probably the same qualities that have led him to great personal success.
Lawyers are detail focused people by necessity which is no doubt an intrinsic part of his personality.

First solution would be to give Sue Alberti a special pass to allow her to use the officials gate. Over the past decades she's absolutely earned the right.

Couple of points:
We won a flag.
Griffen walked out and he went and poached GWS's prized #1 draft pick who, 2 years later was BOG in a grand final win.
We have zero debt.

Gordon holds the club above everything else, he doesn't suffer fools. If people aren't on board and pulling in the same direction that he is then they are out. He is by far the most accomplished and intelligent president of any club in the AFL. He could run the whole show as he has a breadth of experience that is unrivaled in Australia. We are very lucky to have him.

Just remember that the Bulldogs don't pander to the media when things blow up. That has been a consistent theme for the past 4 years. Hence why there has been minimal noise coming out of the kennel about this Alberti issue.

I usually couldn't give a rats arse who leaves the Club. Susan Alberti is the exception so I hope to god they work it out because she is gold.

Both.

What's unusual is for control freaks to be in power for an extended period. It can be the cause of both their success and their eventual downfall. Kevin Rudd is a good example.

He's been one of the best presidents we've ever had. Maybe the best. That doesn't make him perfect but I'm very happy with him as President right now, and besides there's nobody waiting in the wings that we can anoint as his successor is there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst people like Peter's legacy at the club shall never be forgotten there always comes a time to graciously move on.

Whilst Peter will always stand for the club it seems that sometimes as President his ego, especially with his history at the club, can clash with many
particularly newcomers.

Everyone has a shelf life in certain roles. It might be better for both he and the club if he moved on or sought out a replacement at some point.

With that said I'm forever grateful for what he's done as I might not have a club to support or a premiership to look back on if it weren't for him.

Lawyers have the worst man mangenet skills of any profession. You don’t progress in a law firm because you are a good people manager, but because you charge a shed load of billable hours. So not surprised there has been fallout.

However I wouldn’t swap him for any other president and we’re lucky we have him. He has a lot of credits in the bank. However as president he needs to be above petty squabbling and allow management to do the day to day management of the club/business. Sue is also a legend and deserves a life pass to the special entrance gate.

Whilst people like Peter's legacy at the club shall never be forgotten there always comes a time to graciously move on.

Whilst Peter will always stand for the club it seems that sometimes as President his ego, especially with his history at the club, can clash with many
particularly newcomers.

Clearly there has been a stench at management level for sometime.
The fact in the last 12 months we have had to find a Ceo, list manager, head recruitment officer, chief marking manager, chief operating officer Speaks volumes to that.

Let’s not forget tho it was Peter who brought back a number of disenfranchised old bulldogs who had hadn’t been at the club for years.
Let’s not forget it was a very inclusive Peter who held a dinner on grand final eve at his own house and invited all the key bulldogs over including sue
Let’s not forget it was Peter who arranged to allow the likes of sue and David smorgon on onto the ground after we won the grand final.
Let’s not forget it was Peter who had to manage and deal with the footy department / players turning on a head coach that Peter himself loved.

Who knows what’s been going on. It’s clear though someone with an axe to grind had been feeding Caro stories for 18 months now. Who the leak may have been has been alluded to recently as being a reason for so division

Last edited:
A Living Legend. The very reason we have a club to support.

Even Brisdog is not faultless (is that even a word?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Gordon Hero or Control Freak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back