Peter Gordon Hero or Control Freak

Remove this Banner Ad

Many who, in varying degrees, contributed, probably including a number of those mentioned in Heath's Article, in Gordon & Dalton's Too Tough to Die and Flanagan's Southern Skies Western Oval would be happy not to get mentioned, it was that sort of movement. I don't mind it when Gordon is described as having "saved" the club. It's a throw away phrase used in the Media so it's pretty meaningless. What he had was vision. At the time, I couldn't see how the court process bought anything more than a temporary delay of the inevitable. Gordon could see that and how it could be done, I recall Lynn Kosky talking about his vision on the Sunday. Perhaps Galimberti and the lawyers in the Article could too but I couldn't. I don't think he was a very good President in the 90s, too young and inexperienced, not his fault, young lawyers aren't wise administrators and people managers. If you have to have a President who "saved" the Club, it's Smorgo for mine, much and all as I condemn him and his administration for the humiliation of having to be only Club that was so ashamed of itself that it changed its name.

I'm pretty sure that the author, Robert Heath, is the one who is or was on the Ammo's Tribunal and has made a film about Harry Beitzel's Galahs. His knowledge of the 4 - 5 characters is pretty detailed, I wonder whether he had anything to do with it.
I still totally resent the new name and will never stop banging on about it until it is corrected.

It’s from an edition of the Victorian Bar News last year. A friend gave me a copy. I’m tipping not many would have had the chance to read it, as you can’t access it online. I love the cover:

View attachment 465555

The story of 1989 is a great one, with a number of heroes.
That looks like a 'Guy Sheild' illustration. He used to work at the AFL Record and then Slattery Publishing.

The posters in this thread are so bloody ungrateful. As Peter said on Tuesday night, we don't need our own supporters bagging the club and creating a culture of hate, we have the media doing that all the time.

Grow up people and support your club and don't discuss things you know nothing about. Peter sets high standards and if you don't meet those standards then you are replaced, simple as that. Then we have dickheads saying they can't work with him. Well that is because they are incompetent.

The club has never been in a better position with some great people working there, no debt, record profits, and a recent premiership. LIfe couldn't be better.

You don't know much do you?
I love gordon and xi Jinping. both heroes of our times. any body who gets 700 million people out of poverty has to be a legend. anybody who saves our club and wins us a premiership is also a hero. are both leaders control freaks. well yes, they have to be. they cannot take bullshit, so yeah. control freaks but heroes. by the way, do you know more?

The posters in this thread are so bloody ungrateful. As Peter said on Tuesday night, we don't need our own supporters bagging the club and creating a culture of hate, we have the media doing that all the time.

Grow up people and support your club and don't discuss things you know nothing about. Peter sets high standards and if you don't meet those standards then you are replaced, simple as that. Then we have dickheads saying they can't work with him. Well that is because they are incompetent.

The club has never been in a better position with some great people working there, no debt, record profits, and a recent premiership. LIfe couldn't be better.

Welcome to the board, Peter.

Law firms are, ironically, a place where workplace laws do not apply, although the Slaters and Maurice Blackburns tend to be a bit better given they act for unions.

I must disclose that I am an experienced workplace lawyer who has worked at law firms opposed to slaters, MB and unions.

This is the funniest thing I’ve read in a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few people have posted how the club has no debt. Not sure that is correct. I think there is confusion between no debt and the fact our net debt position is zero.

Net debt and no debt are different. Stand to be corrected but I believe we have debt but our net debt position is nil.

A few people have posted how the club has no debt. Not sure that is correct. I think there is confusion between no debt and the fact our net debt position is zero.

Net debt and no debt are different. Stand to be corrected but I believe we have debt but our net debt position is nil.
I recall reading that it was net debt.

We have paid off our loans, so no debts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Gordon Hero or Control Freak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back