Peter Gordon Hero or Control Freak

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter has been amazing for our club, but I do frown with some of the things I’m hearing last few years. I wouldn’t mind a new president, but really worry that we wouldn’t get a replacement that has the passion and drive that Peter has given us. I think we would be very lucky to get someone to take us forward when Peter goes. He stays for mine right now, but we are heading south in many respects lately.

Still don’t get the whole Alberti and Wood not being allowed in to WO..? Premiership Club captain and Vice President. Not big news but beyond stupid.

However I wouldn’t swap him for any other president and we’re lucky we have him. He has a lot of credits in the bank. However as president he needs to be above petty squabbling and allow management to do the day to day management of the club/business. Sue is also a legend and deserves a life pass to the special entrance gate.

I get the impression that's exactly what happened. He only got involved when the media approached him about it.

He's a Chero (controlling hero).
He is most definitely a hero to all of us, but everyone has his use by date and I believe he deserves this year to still revel in 2016 before passing the baton over.

We've needed a strong legal and business mind over the years due to our parlous state, especially with the cluster of the Dockland Deals. We sill need another 5-10k of serious members to attend most weeks however the future is bright(er).

As president, you are only a custodian of the club and I believe it is time to bring the new successor in as well as show Susan the respect she deserves Doing this seamlessly should be one of our key criteria for the year

Sue put in $4 mil over the last 4 years. Peter put in $1 mil plus 192015. Club turnover was an average of, say $400,000.00, 10 %. That's worth an open door, isn't it ?

Sue put in $4 mil over the last 4 years. Peter put in $1 mil plus 192015. Club turnover was an average of, say $400,000.00, 10 %. That's worth an open door, isn't it ?

No I put in what I can afford every year and have done for the past 30+ as I expect Susan has. I don’t expect to be treated any differently than any other supporter and neither should she.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have spoken to a couple of people who have helped out the club for years, and after the Premiership felt treated badly. To quote one "Bevo is the only genuine one there, if he goes we are stuffed". A lot of criticism was directed at King, who comes across as arrogant.

It’s a shame that when Gordon gets credited for ‘saving the club’, few others ever get mentioned by name.

Dennis Galimberti, who was CEO and blew the whistle on the VFL and club directors’ secret merger plan, and the lawyers that took the VFL to court in 1989, deserve a lot credit. Without them, there would have been no fightback campaign at all.

For anyone interested in how the merger was stopped so that we could raise funds, here’s an article:

A9B12C3C-7D37-4BD8-B6FA-ED0CC2B79AF4.jpeg 3FA1B921-F860-40D1-B2E8-3B243CC36B09.jpeg 38246577-0D58-47CE-9249-EE6557D02D34.jpeg

TiAn_ n, what a wonderful read, thanks for sharing.

It’s from an edition of the Victorian Bar News last year. A friend gave me a copy. I’m tipping not many would have had the chance to read it, as you can’t access it online. I love the cover:

A9EA5D22-A994-4459-BD2B-834670A22CBC.jpeg

The story of 1989 is a great one, with a number of heroes.

Lawyers have the worst man mangenet skills of any profession. You don’t progress in a law firm because you are a good people manager, but because you charge a shed load of billable hours. So not surprised there has been fallout.
Law firms are, ironically, a place where workplace laws do not apply, although the Slaters and Maurice Blackburns tend to be a bit better given they act for unions.

Have encountered some excellent managers of people and some diabolical tyrants who get away with stuff that would not be tolerated anywhere else. Gordon certainly made some enemies on his time in firm land.

Gordon is ruthless and I think some of that has worked for us, particularly on making the hard call on McCartney. Frankly I think it may have been part of what ultimately took us further than we had gone in the past. I can see it destabilising the club if it keeps going his way though.

I have spoken to a couple of people who have helped out the club for years, and after the Premiership felt treated badly. To quote one "Bevo is the only genuine one there, if he goes we are stuffed". A lot of criticism was directed at King, who comes across as arrogant.
Interesting. Could this be part of what's behind the significant number of departures and arrivals among senior staff at the club?

Everyone's favourite journo, Barrett, was on radio last night (the 3AW sports program, the segment after 7 pm that surprisingly is not on 3AW) and revisited the Gordon-Alberti tiff. His view is that the situation was handled "childishly" by both parties, egos got in the way, PG did not cope well with the clubs performance in 2017, Gordon's ego is out of control and, cryptically, the confrontation "was desired by one of the parties". Not really adding anything new but he has wrung another few media minutes out of the story.

It’s a shame that when Gordon gets credited for ‘saving the club’, few others ever get mentioned by name.

Dennis Galimberti, who was CEO and blew the whistle on the VFL and club directors’ secret merger plan, and the lawyers that took the VFL to court in 1989, deserve a lot credit. Without them, there would have been no fightback campaign at all.

Was Dennis one of the people to carry the premiership flag at it's unfurling last year.

Many who, in varying degrees, contributed, probably including a number of those mentioned in Heath's Article, in Gordon & Dalton's Too Tough to Die and Flanagan's Southern Skies Western Oval would be happy not to get mentioned, it was that sort of movement. I don't mind it when Gordon is described as having "saved" the club. It's a throw away phrase used in the Media so it's pretty meaningless. What he had was vision. At the time, I couldn't see how the court process bought anything more than a temporary delay of the inevitable. Gordon could see that and how it could be done, I recall Lynn Kosky talking about his vision on the Sunday. Perhaps Galimberti and the lawyers in the Article could too but I couldn't. I don't think he was a very good President in the 90s, too young and inexperienced, not his fault, young lawyers aren't wise administrators and people managers. If you have to have a President who "saved" the Club, it's Smorgo for mine, much and all as I condemn him and his administration for the humiliation of having to be only Club that was so ashamed of itself that it changed its name.

I'm pretty sure that the author, Robert Heath, is the one who is or was on the Ammo's Tribunal and has made a film about Harry Beitzel's Galahs. His knowledge of the 4 - 5 characters is pretty detailed, I wonder whether he had anything to do with it.

Last edited:
Many who, in varying degrees, contributed, probably including a number of those mentioned in Heath's Article, in Gordon & Dalton's Too Tough to Die and Flanagan's Southern Skies Western Oval would be happy not to get mentioned, it was that sort of movement. I don't mind it when Gordon is described as having "saved" the club. It's a throw away phrase used in the Media so it's pretty meaningless. What he had was vision. At the time, I couldn't see how the court process bought anything more than a temporary delay of the inevitable. Gordon could see that and how it could be done, I recall Lynn Kosky talking about his vision on the Sunday. Perhaps Galimberti and the lawyers in the Article could too but I couldn't. I don't think he was a very good President in the 90s, too young and inexperienced, not his fault, young lawyers aren't wise administrators and people managers. If you have to have a President who "saved" the Club, it's Smorgo for mine, much and all as I condemn him and his administration for the humiliation of having to be only Club that was so ashamed of itself that it changed its name.

I'm pretty sure that the author, Robert Heath, is the one who is or was on the Ammo's Tribunal and has made a film about Harry Beitzel's Galahs. His knowledge of the 4 - 5 characters is pretty detailed, I wonder whether he had anything to do with it.

Yeah that’s him. No, he just interviewed the people involved. I think he would have been only a teenager in 89.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Gordon Hero or Control Freak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back