Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

I found half a rabbit near our house, inside our fences, the other day. Maybe a fox dropped it there?? Probably too heavy even for a crow to carry.

Had to pick it up and dispose of it (yuk!). Otherwise, Tyson the Lab would have happily eaten most of it.

I'm with you on the snakes, Gabbie. You seem to have more varieties and more non-poisonous ones than we do down south. They're all to be given a wide berth of course.

There are a couple of bad ones on Maggie, Death Adders for one, a bite from one of those suckers would kill a dog and put a human in hospital. On the mainland there are a few more "baddies". I just don't want the dogs to be toooooooo interested in snakes of any kind but being the curious creatures they are, can't see much chance of them ignoring one. Can't wait for snake season to be over as there are a lot more on move it seems.

Half a rabbit, :eek::eek: Yeah I have a dog that would have scoffed it down as well. Someone told me Labs and Dallys are outright greedy guts dogs.

When I lived in the country, I once saw a hawk swoop down and come up and off with a very long snake dangling out of its beak....

...must've spotted it from high above and come in for the kill.....would love to have seen what he did with it, and how he eventually killed it.....or if it fell out of his mouth somewhere on the trip to wherever..

When I lived in the country, I once saw a hawk swoop down and come up and off with a very long snake dangling out of its beak....

...must've spotted it from high above and come in for the kill.....would love to have seen what he did with it, and how he eventually killed it.....or if it fell out of his mouth somewhere on the trip to wherever..

I hear you MM. I've been told kookaburras swoop on a snake, pick it up with their beak and bash it against any hard object handy before feasting on it. Haven't seen it done, yet, but would like to.

Lots of bird life in my neck of the woods and I've spotted sea eagles in particular doing lazy circles in the sky a lot lately. Get a tad nervous when out for a walk when the kookas are sitting on a fence or a tree branch.

There are a couple of bad ones on Maggie, Death Adders for one, a bite from one of those suckers would kill a dog and put a human in hospital. On the mainland there are a few more "baddies". I just don't want the dogs to be toooooooo interested in snakes of any kind but being the curious creatures they are, can't see much chance of them ignoring one. Can't wait for snake season to be over as there are a lot more on move it seems.

Half a rabbit, :eek::eek: Yeah I have a dog that would have scoffed it down as well. Someone told me Labs and Dallys are outright greedy guts dogs.

Don't know about Dally's (You'd be the expert here I reckon Gab), but Labs are very prone to overeating, Archie was 42kg at one stage and after a bit of a dressing down from the vet we managed to get him back down to 36 or so, where he has stayed. We seem to have got the quinella with a Pug as well, although Marvin does not seem to put much weight on, Pugs are up in the world champion greedy guts class as well. Marvin, eating, has to be seen/heard to be believed.

Don't know about Dally's (You'd be the expert here I reckon Gab), but Labs are very prone to overeating, Archie was 42kg at one stage and after a bit of a dressing down from the vet we managed to get him back down to 36 or so, where he has stayed. We seem to have got the quinella with a Pug as well, although Marvin does not seem to put much weight on, Pugs are up in the world champion greedy guts class as well. Marvin, eating, has to be seen/heard to be believed.

I'm hearing you. Yes I've heard Pugs like their tucker as well. Clyde is just an outright guts. The vet explained to me that he's the type of dog who thinks each meal is his last and having an obsessive nature food is up the top of his list. He came across a Tea Bag while out walking yesterday, and ate that. Bloody tourists leaving their crap around this time of the year really shit me. Both of mine need to lose a couple of kgs each and I am monitoring their food intake as being older and not as active it stays on. I'd like to walk them more but being older they are really feeling the humidity and heat, bit of a catch 22there.

Found this little guy on the garage as I was taking the rubbish out.....

20120101000305.jpg

I don't know if you want to encourage the little fella, but if you do, they like bread and jam sandwiches.

No we don't.......we have a lot of em in the area. They poop everywhere, run across the roof, trying to get inside the roof. They look cute but they are a pain in the butt :thumbsdown:

No we don't.......we have a lot of em in the area. They poop everywhere, run across the roof, trying to get inside the roof. They look cute but they are a pain in the butt :thumbsdown:

I'm hearing you Dan. They also walk along the fence, 6ft high, and wind up the dogs who try in vain to get to them but bark their heads off. I wouldn't kill one but I wouldn't leave food out for it.

A friend caught one in his roof in suburban Kew and drove it in his car across to the other side of the Yarra, where he let it go on the river bank.

A lawyer told him that by transporting the little fella between suburbs he had committed an offence under a Victorian wildlife act of some sort.

Don't know if it's true but it sounds stupid enough to be true.

When we had a tiger snake removed from our place a few years back the snake man told us he had to release it within 5kms. Not sighted again (touch wood!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hearing you Dan. They also walk along the fence, 6ft high, and wind up the dogs who try in vain to get to them but bark their heads off. I wouldn't kill one but I wouldn't leave food out for it.

We have them down the backyard....love to watch them early morning scampering along the fence up into "their" tree...its a big thick bushy tree that hangs over the fence.....years ago, we discovered the previous owner over the back, had put a box up high in the tree for the possums....we left it there..

...but if they came into the roof, their little game would be over!!

We have them down the backyard....love to watch them early morning scampering along the fence up into "their" tree...its a big thick bushy tree that hangs over the fence.....years ago, we discovered the previous owner over the back, had put a box up high in the tree for the possums....we left it there..

...but if they came into the roof, their little game would be over!!

I'm told Brushtails are the ones that cause damage and mess inside roofs, Ringtails are supposedly a lot less bad.

We used to get a lot of Ringtails including a large male with one eye, his missus and two kids!! But in the 5 or so years since we've had a dog/dogs we rarely see any.

A friend caught one in his roof in suburban Kew and drove it in his car across to the other side of the Yarra, where he let it go on the river bank.

A lawyer told him that by transporting the little fella between suburbs he had committed an offence under a Victorian wildlife act of some sort.

Don't know if it's true but it sounds stupid enough to be true.

It is true, according to my old man, who's a fellow Kew possum trapping and relocating resident. It's a distance thing. He now traps them and drives them down the hill to the trees by the Yarra, on the advice of his QC neighbour, to avoid "doing time"!

Hows Arch coming along?

I second that request as well. Hope he's improving big time.

Back to possums. No relocating of possums laws on Maggie to my knowledge. My neighbours, who have lived here for nearly 30 years, explained to this city slicker that you need to relocate them far way from where you found/trapped them, in our case the other side of the island. Trouble is the people on the other side are probably doing the same.

Mr R, a friend of mine has a theory that you are only breaking the law when you get caught. ;) :D She applies this theory only to killing of snakes.

Did any of you notice the possums in the trees around the MCG in the good old days when we played a lot of Friday night games? Probably the best fed, junk food, possums in the country.

Did any of you notice the possums in the trees around the MCG in the good old days when we played a lot of Friday night games? Probably the best fed, junk food, possums in the country.

They're still in the Fitzroy Gardens or whatever the gardens are called between Spring St and the MCG.

They're in some of the trees and other trees have big steel bands around the trunks presumably to keep the possums out.

The possums often sit at the base of a tree while the patrons walk past on their way to and from the footy (or night cricket).

I have never seen anyone do the wrong thing, even after a loss.

Just had the Maggie wildlife carer on the phone to fill me in on my call to her early this morning regarding an injured walleroo I spotted on my walk with the dogs. I spotted the animal lying down in the park, it got up gingerly and half hopped to a clump of trees and I knew something wasn't right as they usually bound away like Carl Lewis out of the blocks when they spot a human with dogs. The sad upshot is that the rangers had difficulty catching it, hind leg was broken so the police had to be called and put the poor thing out of it's misery. I thought I'd heard shots at midday but wasn't sure it was a gun or not. So sad but at least the animal didn't have a lingering painful death or worse, be attacked by dogs who are allowed by their bogan owners, usually visitors not residents, to run loose.

Efffffing tourists come over and have no clue about the wild life and treat the roads as their own speedway. Glad I don't have a gun, or they should be glad.:mad:

Remember if you spot an injured/dead wallaby/kangaroo check the pouch for a baby. We aren't called the Kangas for nothing huh.

Yeah I remember the possums in the trees or next to the trees at the 'G'. Some patrons would leave some fruit on ground by a tree.

When I first moved into my house a little rock wallaby would come to visit at night, it managed to dig under the fence. I would leave vegie scraps out for it but I think some of the possums would get there first. Once I brought the dogs home, the poor ole wallaby stopped coming.

Hows Arch coming along?

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

We had Archer's follow up appointment early today (hence my non response last night Dan) where his wound was to be checked to see if it had sufficiently healed for him to proceed to chemotherapy next Monday. The female surgeon was very impressed with the wound's progress!

She was also impressed with his general demeanor, saying it was a great sign of his recovery.

Then she said they'd received a report from pathology on the tumour they'd removed and sent off for full analysis. They were looking for metastasis (signs it had broken up and hence spread) and for confirmation that it was as initially diagnosed by the other pathology place, who examined a portion of the tumour including bone fragments where it was growing.

Firstly, they're 100% sure it was completely removed with zero signs of any metastasis. It was fully intact! Great news.

Secondly, and far more importantly, they held onto the tumour for more than required so they could cut deeper into it to determine it's exact nature as they initially had some doubts to it being the most deadly (and the one he'd been diagnosed with) Osteo Sarcoma.

Anyhow, I have the full pathology report in front of me now and it includes the following conclusion, after a few pages of scientific talk re their findings and examinations:

These findings support the above diagnosis of a FIBROSARCOMA. I would expect this lesion to be cured by a complete excision, which has been fully achieved in this case, and would not expect metastasis.

He's fully cured FFS! The surgeon's eyes lit up as she said "I have some fantastic news from the pathologists...................he's fully cured. The initial diagnosis of this being a death sentence turned out to be incorrect, and is explained in the report how that could've been reached initially. The little guy has a full happy future ahead. There's no need for chemotherapy and the outlook for fibro sarcoma patients is far better than osteo sarcoma, especially when it's been checked and considered to be fully removed early. I'm so happy for you both!"

F****** PHEW!

I could've pashed her right there and then (she is a hottie, just by the by) I was that happy.

We just have to keep the collar on a further week and ensure the wound heals without infection and HE'S BACK BAAAAAAAAAABY!

The best move was going to the best people, I tell ya.

Thanks for your well wishes everyone. Like his namesake, Archer can't be kept down for long. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back