Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Setting up blow up pool in the backyard.....

I'll just sit and watch
20120103200203.jpg

Can I hop in?
20120103200304.jpg

Cheers y'all. Yep, you can imagine my surprise when she uttered those words.

The environment being the waiting room, or foyer area, made for an interesting scene too. It was filled with very nervous people and their own dogs. Most in the position I was in a couple of weeks ago......shitting bricks! They were all so happy for Arch and I upon hearing the surgeon's words. Everyone sort of chats about each others' dogs, gives them a pat, wishes them well, and truly empathizes with each other. As I walked out I turned and said to everyone "I hope like hell you all receive similarly positive news", as it's a very sad scene.

One more appointment remaining next thursday morning, for the ok to remove the collar, and we're home and hosed. Giddy up! :thumbsu:

Has Arch tried to get it off?

This is his second one. His first one was smashed to smithereens by him deliberately charging at corners of walls outside to shatter it. Hence why the first follow up appointment led to the discovery that he'd ripped some of his stitches out and delayed his wound healing. It's a huge wound, from just under his front teeth to halfway down his neck. He's calmed down with the collar now but when I let him out to wee wee he stands outside the door looking at the ground, as if he wonders why he's being punished constantly. We also sprung him rubbing his head and neck on a fern outside, skirting the protection of the collar. He keeps us on our toes as a result, and I love it as that's the personality he always had prior to the tumour appearing, which led to him seeming like an old man all of a sudden.

This is his second one. His first one was smashed to smithereens by him deliberately charging at corners of walls outside to shatter it. Hence why the first follow up appointment led to the discovery that he'd ripped some of his stitches out and delayed his wound healing. It's a huge wound, from just under his front teeth to halfway down his neck. He's calmed down with the collar now but when I let him out to wee wee he stands outside the door looking at the ground, as if he wonders why he's being punished constantly. We also sprung him rubbing his head and neck on a fern outside, skirting the protection of the collar. He keeps us on our toes as a result, and I love it as that's the personality he always had prior to the tumour appearing, which led to him seeming like an old man all of a sudden.

TT my Vet calls them Buster collars, I have two in the shed now from when my woofers had a lump, nothing serious, removed from their trunk area almost 2 years ago. I found tearing up an old sheet into strips and looping it through the collar helped, Clyde wasn't impressed looking like a "girl" as I would tie a dirty big bow at the back. I bought a large plastic bowl for their water but they managed to figure out how to have a drink out of a regular plastic bucket with collar on, same for eating their food from bowls. Scored a few scratch marks on the hallway wall from them going past, but hey, it's only a bit of paint. I was sooooooooooooo relieved, plus them, when the collars were taken off after 2 weeks. I would take the collars off only for walks but would have my eyes peeled for wandering dogs as things could have got very ugly.

By the way, that pic of Arch and other dog, the other dog, forgot it's name, looks sadder, someone missing out a bit of attention maybe??

So glad for you that all is good, pays to have a second opinion.

Our vet calls them "Elizabethan Collars" and we have had Marvin in one on two occassions last year. (2011)

Firstly he had an operation to close his eyelids slightly to provide protection from the sun after the vet diagnosed Pigmentary Keratitis (a common Pug problem because of their "bug" eyes), he had to have collar on for about two weeks.

Secondly he had a Corneal Ulcer caused by something entering his eye, this was very serious and the vet thought it was highly probable that he would lose his eye. Apparently there was only a very thin membrane of cornea left (about the thickness of glad wrap). The only hope was an operation to sew the third eyelid over the eye while it hopefully healed with the help of some ointment, the stitching is sewn through a small button too - so imagine a closed eye with a white button over it. It looked so sad. He had to have the collar on for a couple of weeks this time too.

Both times were a challenge for Marvin, he couldn't understand why he suddenly got stuck going around corners and through doors etc. the first collar was broken in two places, we stapled it back together as best we could, but found it hard to keep clean also.

Marv got used to the collar after a few days and funnily enough he never really had a problem eating with it on....... was quite a sight though, you couldn't see his face or the dog bowl.

Here's a pic of the first collar, note the cracks and split and how dirty it got (we cleaned it every day when putting the drops in his eyes).

6649577231_8174bfea82.jpg

He's recovered from the ulcer quite well (vet surprised), but has a blind spot in the middle of his right eye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the harder plastic look of the collar Marvin has on is similar to the one Arch smashed to pieces. The one he now has on is one we kept from a year or two ago and it's more flexible, with a far better interlocking arrangement. We've always used the torn up cloth weaved through the rings and tied as backup Gabbie. Both dogs have had these collars on at times over the years.

I'm sure he's looking forward to seeing the back of this one, given it will have been on for over a month by then.

Great shot there Dan. I brought Bella home at the same age in the same way, and I remember it like it was yesterday. It was 13 years ago. I wish I'd taken a pic of it at the time.

Did Bella vomit in the car? I ask only because shortly after taking that pic of Jack, he vomited his breakfast :p

Nup, she curled up in a little ball and slept the whole way home with my left hand covering her completely to ensure she didn't fly into the dashboard. She was tiny! No spew. Just the usual first night nerves in a strange place.

Ah, the puppy coming home time, what great memories. The whole family in the back yard with the new little bouncing bundle, running around in that uncertain, bouncy, chase anything, aww how cute, way.:thumbsu:

We didn't get pics af Archie on the way home, this one (already posted earlier in the thread - sorry), was taken when we got home, he'd been running around for nearly an hour and was getting tired, he was a bit of a chubster for 8 weeks old:), and we couldn't get over how big his paws were.

4771014740_dc303622d6_z.jpg

Ah, the puppy coming home time, what great memories. The whole family in the back yard with the new little bouncing bundle, running around in that uncertain, bouncy, chase anything, aww how cute, way.:thumbsu:

We didn't get pics af Archie on the way home, this one (already posted earlier in the thread - sorry), was taken when we got home, he'd been running around for nearly an hour and was getting tired, he was a bit of a chubster for 8 weeks old:), and we couldn't get over how big his paws were.

4771014740_dc303622d6_z.jpg

What a handsome puppy, still is.

Mine weren't puppies when I got them, 8 and 9.They came over in a car on the car barge, about 30 minutes trip. It was a bit choppy that day on the way over. Bonnie, as per usual, found the best spot in the back seat but Clyde was fidgeting all the way over so I had to turn around and just keep reassuring him and giving him pats. I think we bonded straight away. He's not a happy chappy in cars, doesn't like being out of his comfort zone.

The first night I had them they did the fence patrol thing, checked and sniffed everything, had a bite to eat then settled down for some zzzzzz's. Unfortunately, my neighbour's son and his friends were over and having a few quiet ones with not too loud music before they headed off to full moon party on Maggie. It wasn't annoying to me, no complaints as they are top neighbours, but of all nights, Murphy's Law I guess. Dogs heard them coming home at 3 a.m. and let the whole street know. :D

They settled in fairly quickly considering they'd been to two other places after their original parents split up and we won't talk about that baitch who had signed paperwork to send them to doggie heaven. Not just kids who lose out in divorce.

Loving all the stories on everyones four footed pet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back