Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Terell Ownes Delisted

usalion said:
Salary cap a big consideration- only the ravens and Iggles bit when he came free a couple tears ago- can't see many wanting him after the circus that was the last few months.

Head job, pure and simple

if you say so!! :confused:

Eagles- Great debate of 08

Just heard a good 90 minute exchange on WIP Radio about the future of the Philadelphia Eagles. They had a number of folks from WIP who talk about the eagles, but also had an Eagles admin guy- fun to hear the discussion....

1- Need to play the guys you draft and the need to build from within the draft- the Giants as a prime example, with all 8 draft picks playing this year.

2- Getting help at WR, DE and a kick returner- impact player needed at one of these positions

3- Future of Donovan- consensus that he can bring the team to a higher level next year if he remains healthy.

4- Heavy criticism of management for not taking the steps needed to improve the team

Not sure if the program will be put on the website for future listening, but it was fun, heated 90 minutes.

Re: Eagles- Great debate of 08

Isn't Philly talkback always heated when they're discussing the Eagles? :)

1 - you need improvement especially in your backups and it really doesn't matter if it comes through FA or the draft. Teams that improve usually get the draft and FA signings right (Saints 2006) and usually don't when they get the draft wrong and sign FA busts (Saints 2007)

2 - You can only afford so many impact players with a salary cap and you need them healthy. Teams will place different emphasis on different positions with impact players but they need to get the assessment & balance right. IMO Philly needs workhorse receivers that will work to find openings & will block because of the style of the offense. No point hiring another Owens.

On special teams they need a new coach.

3 - If the Eagles are going to stick with McNabb then they need to work his strengths. No point changing your offensive setup if you're not going to change your QB.

4 - I'd start with the coach if I was fingering the management of the team.

Isn't Philly talkback always heated when they're discussing the Eagles? :)

1 - you need improvement especially in your backups and it really doesn't matter if it comes through FA or the draft. Teams that improve usually get the draft and FA signings right (Saints 2006) and usually don't when they get the draft wrong and sign FA busts (Saints 2007)

2 - You can only afford so many impact players with a salary cap and you need them healthy. Teams will place different emphasis on different positions with impact players but they need to get the assessment & balance right. IMO Philly needs workhorse receivers that will work to find openings & will block because of the style of the offense. No point hiring another Owens.

On special teams they need a new coach.

3 - If the Eagles are going to stick with McNabb then they need to work his strengths. No point changing your offensive setup if you're not going to change your QB.

4 - I'd start with the coach if I was fingering the management of the team.

Absolutely- and WIP is the station through which it gets vented.....

1. You're right about the draft and FA- question is, how many FA are going to be out there. The real point with the draft is to play these guys- we sat out most of the guys we drafted last year, so have no clue right now whether or not they can play in the NFL- the Giants played all 8- admittedly, some out of necessity through injury- and have a sense of what they can do.

Why were guys like Abiamiri, Bradley and Hunt (picks 2-4) essentially red shirted last year with an 8-8 team? Cobb you can sort of understand, but he could have been playing the last 2-3 games when the playoffs were not on the cards.
From 2006, we can look at Bunkley, Gaither and Gocong as solid players, but have we really seen enough from Avant, Justice (thrown into one game against Strahan- how did you think he would go?) and Max Jean-Gilles to get a feel of what they might do?

There are 6 or 7 guys from the roster who MIGHT be helpful- but we really don't know if they will be NFL quality.

2. Again, agreed on impact players- but we need someone there- in the Super Bowl year, we went out and got Owens and Kearse, both of whom contributed hugely to getting us to jacksonville. It IS possible- see randy Moss this year for the Pats.

3. Special teams- well, we lost Harbaugh as our ST coach- he had done a good job prior to that. Put that one on andy, I think- he didn't come through with a good choice.

4. Agree on McNabb

5. Reid is a tough one- he has done so well, and you just don't know about all the personal crap he had to deal with last year- on the other hand, maybe he should have taken a leave of absence when it all started.....best thing might be to have him focus on the coaching aspect, and have someone else as the true GM of the team.

I couldnt disagree more. The Eagles have a few 'solid' WRs in Brown and Curtis, what they really lack is the one impact WR. You say that theres no point hiring another Owens, but i think the opposite. Sure, it ended badly, but its no cooincidence that the one year we had McNabb and Owens fit we made the superbowl. Give McNabb a serious weapon, since we've gone down the 'one last shot' path.

Just heard a good 90 minute exchange on WIP Radio about the future of the Philadelphia Eagles. They had a number of folks from WIP who talk about the eagles, but also had an Eagles admin guy- fun to hear the discussion....

1- Need to play the guys you draft and the need to build from within the draft- the Giants as a prime example, with all 8 draft picks playing this year.

2- Getting help at WR, DE and a kick returner- impact player needed at one of these positions

3- Future of Donovan- consensus that he can bring the team to a higher level next year if he remains healthy.

4- Heavy criticism of management for not taking the steps needed to improve the team

Not sure if the program will be put on the website for future listening, but it was fun, heated 90 minutes.

Thanks for the thread, its of great interest to me.

1. I really hope they're looking at DeShaun Jackson. Hed certainly help the return game, and might just provide another threat at wide out for us.

2. They really need to pursue a high profile WR in the off season, whether its Moss, Chad Johnson, or someone else.

3. Im glad theyve decided to keep donovan... people always think the grass is greener on the other side. Pro Bowl calliber QBs are a rare commodity.

4. They need to get over the owens related timidness in free agency, and go after a name. If this is our big shot at the superbowl with some aging players, then theres no point holding back.

Why would the Eagles franchise LJ Smith?? Sorry but the limited times i've seen him he's hardly stood out. I thought if anything he might get cut.

Didn't see them too much of them this season but I don't think that they're that far away. Certainly playoff chance next season.

Brian Westbrook is an absolute star imo and one of my favourite players but twice this season I saw them 1st and Goal and run 3 crap plays, none involving Westbrook!!! WTF?? The guy just ran for 1300+ yds and had 90+ catches.

Randy Moss would not be a good fit at a lot of clubs but Eagles may be one of the better fits.

Had a look at the stats and the Eagles had an NFL low 19 takeaways this season. Combine that with crap KR/PR , puts more pressure on O.
I agree with Southerntakeover. DeShaun Jackson may be a good pick up.

Re: Kevin Curtis has hernia surgery

Ummm . . . let me think.

Saints have too many WR's capable of starting - Philly struggling for some
Philly has too many CB's that are definate starters - Saints have only 1

Seems a match made in heaven.

Wouldn't suprise me at all if the Saints pull another Henderson trade . . . sorry I mean Stallworth . . . except we'd need to throw in more to get what we want. Already traded most of next year's picks.

What the hell, the time is now for the Saints.

Henderson & our 1st next year for Lito & Philly's 2nd next year.

Sounds a winner for both to me. :thumbsu:

I dont think the Eagles would trade for anything but a genuine #1 WR.

Certainly not going to trade a pro bowl CB for effectively a #3, 2 at best, and a pick upgrade, given that we're already holding two first rounders next year.

Its pretty unlikely that the Eagles even make a change, knowing their stubborn assed football department, unless by some miracle a Boldin trade goes through.

I guess it depends if the Eagles want to win now.

Henderson would be a good fit for McNabb. He is a genuine deep threat the Eagles lack.

Accept what your saying though. He's probably not worth anything more than a 4/5th rounder and the 32nd pick isn't going to be that much better than your 2nd rounder. ;)

I guess it depends if the Eagles want to win now.

Henderson would be a good fit for McNabb. He is a genuine deep threat the Eagles lack.

Accept what your saying though. He's probably not worth anything more than a 4/5th rounder and the 32nd pick isn't going to be that much better than your 2nd rounder. ;)

Another first rounder wouldnt be much good for us full stop, we've already got two....

Good luck drafting three first rounders, and paying them the way they expect nowadays. :eek:

Going into the offseason holding 3 first rounders gives you a lot to work with.

At the very least you can always trade down or for future picks as there's always teams will to trade up.

Personally I don't think the Eagles want to trade Lito . . . well at least not until they've played week 2 against the Cowboys. I don't think the Saints want another one either since we've already spent plenty on the position. A new defensive back coach might be the solution.

Henderson I still think is someone they could use even if they don't want to give up a CB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indefinate injury duration which is a setback for the time being. As for trade swaps between Eagles & Saints, Patten for Dawkins. Savvy vets who have one big last season in both of them is a win/win for both.

Hopefully Curtis returns in time for his yearly day out games, have pencilled in Falcons, Cinci & Ravens as his fantasy points reaper games.

Indefinate injury duration which is a setback for the time being. As for trade swaps between Eagles & Saints, Patten for Dawkins. Savvy vets who have one big last season in both of them is a win/win for both.

You're falling into GG territory with that one.

Chance of Eagles trading Weapon X is somewhere between nil and 0.

Saints wouldn't trade Patten either. Payton loves him.

News around New Orleans is Arrington's toe is worse than first thought. Looks like he'll go on injured resserve so I expect the depth chart to read Colston, Patten, Henderson, Meachem, Copper & Moore. Not much value on the open market there other than Colston and we'd never give him up. Meach would have some value but it wouldn't be worth our while giving him up now.

Really, when you look at our WR's and what they'd be worth on the open market against the groups production you realise why Brees is such an asset. Could you imagine his numbers if he had the weapons Brady, Manning & Romo have had in the past couple of seasons?

Really, when you look at our WR's and what they'd be worth on the open market against the groups production you realise why Brees is such an asset. Could you imagine his numbers if he had the weapons Brady, Manning & Romo have had in the past couple of seasons?

Ill see your brees career production vs quality of recievers, and raise you McNabbs.

Seriously, the guy had one season throwing to TO and made a superbowl. The rest of the time hes been throwing to hack after hack, from Pinkston to Lewis. :(

I rate McNabb but I reckon he's suffered from the same syndrome as some other black qb's - they've relied too much on his ability to run the ball.

If the opposition can get their hands on your QB, especially if your QB is a weapon, they'll do as much damage as possible and try to take him out of the game. That's football. That's also why you use the rules to protect your QB and don't expose him to hit after hit.

Ill see your brees career production vs quality of recievers, and raise you McNabbs.

Seriously, the guy had one season throwing to TO and made a superbowl. The rest of the time hes been throwing to hack after hack, from Pinkston to Lewis. :(

I think there was a video of Lewis that floated around this forum when he pulled out of a catch. It was the most despicable act of weakness I've ever seen from an NFL player...

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back