Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances someone makes an immediate bid for Reid at the top of the draft....

OR

No offer is made AND

West Coast and North both pass up on Reid and drops to Hawthorn. Surely someone puts in offers by this point.

Bids? Offers?

How do you think the draft works?

Does this give North a better chance of band 1 compo or the NGA concession?

I think it does.

In exchange for pick 1 WCE could take pick 2 from North plus another first rounder and get Curtin plus an extra.

North get Reid.

I reckon this is a more likely scenario than say the Dees coughing up picks 4 & 5 (if they can get it) for pick 1.
If we get 3 for mckay (looking likely) trade 2 and the ports first pick to the Eagles for Reid, tho we won't have curtin who is a huge need for us Reid not so much more of a nice to have but not a necessity esp if Sanders is a "priority pick"

Does this give North a better chance of band 1 compo or the NGA concession?

I think it does.

Today's result will have no bearing on any draft assistance given to NMFC.

McKay compensation is wholly unrelated to draft assistance.

In exchange for pick 1 WCE could take pick 2 from North plus another first rounder and get Curtin plus an extra.

North get Reid.

I reckon this is a more likely scenario than say the Dees coughing up picks 4 & 5 (if they can get it) for pick 1.

North don't 'need' Reid and won't trade up for pick 1. Bookmark this post.

Uh, pardon campaigner?

Pray-tell what "top 5 picks" we got as "freebies"?!
Every draft pick generated through tanking is a freebie. In theory it shouldn't be given (just like Carlton didn't get (some) of their tank picks).

Obviously it didn't work that well (they actually did keep most of their ill gotten picks).

My club isn't mid table mediocrity and isn't just giving up a whole season. (Today notwithstanding)

LOL.

You're 3rd last and the current ceiling of your list is maybeeee a 12-14th finish.

Your inflated opinion of Hawthorn is adorable.

Every draft pick generated through tanking is a freebie. In theory it shouldn't be given (just like Carlton didn't get (some) of their tank picks).

Obviously it didn't work that well (they actually did keep most of their ill gotten picks).

You're still going on about 'tanking'? Even after today?

Man, you ARE delusional.

Today's result will have no bearing on any draft assistance given to NMFC.

McKay compensation is wholly unrelated to draft assistance.

North don't 'need' Reid and won't trade up for pick 1. Bookmark this post.
It will have no effect on the Mckay compo. certainly agree. But it will have a impact on draft assistance.

I don’t think it’s so silly.

You guys will have another crack at a high pick next year (and possibly the next year too) and when you’re rebuilding you want as many top end picks as possible in a band of about 4 years apart.

Removes a small go-home risk as well.
It's pretty bad.
It means we go from Harley Reid to perhaps Nate Caddy + Murphy/Wilson.
If you added another late first round pick this might translate to Hardeman/DeMattia/Tholstrup.
Of course hindsight is 20/20 but at the moment the selection of one/two additional players doesn't leave us better.
Particularly when we go from a player we absolutely need (i.e. a goal kicking mid) to players who are handy but we have moderate depth in atm (third tall forward/key backs/outside mids etc...).

LOL.

You're 3rd last and the current ceiling of your list is maybeeee a 12-14th finish.

Your inflated opinion of Hawthorn is adorable.
That is a big call on the ceiling of this club. The entire history any human alive who has watched football would like a word though.

Thankfully you're not West Coast.
Although I wouldn't put it past us doing something as idiotic as you suggested.

What is the point though of having 1 A+ grade player and 10 players in the team who are not up to standard?

Better to have 3 B grade players and only have 8 players who are not up to standard.

Only when you have removed a good portion of the not up to standard players do you go for the real A graders.

West Coast will be a bottom team for a number of years. If they are smart they could easily turn 3 really good draft picks into 9 first rounder players.

That is a big call on the ceiling of this club. The entire history any human alive who has watched football would like a word though.

I really really hope you don't delete your account next year when Hawthorn are bottom 4.

You are in desperate need of some comeuppance.

'North are tanking (except when they win a dead rubber) and don't deserve any draft assistance and they'll be 18th again next year and they've had a secret plan to tank for the last 4 years during which they've had 7 different head coaches, but oh by the way Hawthorn for premiers 2024'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the point though of having 1 A+ grade player and 10 players in the team who are not up to standard?

Better to have 3 B grade players and only have 8 players who are not up to standard.

Only when you have removed a good portion of the not up to standard players do you go for the real A graders.

West Coast will be a bottom team for a number of years. If they are smart they could easily turn 3 really good draft picks into 9 first rounder players.
Probably because there's plenty of opportunities to add B grade players and not many to add A+?

I really really hope you don't delete your account next year when Hawthorn are bottom 4.

You are in desperate need of some comeuppance.

'North are tanking (except when they win a dead rubber) and don't deserve any draft assistance and they'll be 18th again next year and they've had a secret plan to tank for the last 4 years during which they've had 7 different head coaches, but oh by the way Hawthorn for premiers 2024'
A straw man is always good evidence when a debater is losing.

I fully expect hawthorn to not be bottom four next year. Because I expect us to be about 14th...

A straw man is always good evidence when a debater is losing.

I fully expect hawthorn to not be bottom four next year. Because I expect us to be about 14th...
Curious wihch 4 teams next year you're confident that Hawthorn will be better than, and where the improvement from 16th to 14th will come from?

because a slow rebuild just turns you into North Melbourne, your team getting smacked every single week and the A grade draftees not developing properly because of it.
I'd say North's problems are due to the wrong people making the wrong decisions at the club. Something I hope they've now addressed.

I suggested this ages ago and got laughed at!!

Honestly think it's a very AFL thing to do....

Only give NM Sanders and band 1 for McKay IF they trade 2 and 3 for 1.

Means the AFL can give the two bottom teams 2 each top 5 talent (open draft available) without giving any priority picks.
You are not getting 2 and 3 for 1.

If North were considering that type of trade, then today was some kind of sick joke to win.

If we really wanted 1 and I’m not sure we do want it that badly. The best would be 2 and the Port first rounder.

Curious wihch 4 teams next year you're confident that Hawthorn will be better than, and where the improvement from 16th to 14th will come from?
Hawthorn's only good key forward was injured for a massive chunk of this season. Had he played every game I think we would have been at least 14th this year.

I don't know which teams will collapse next year, it is never easy to guess. But I do know a handful of teams will massively underperform, and a few of them will have shocking seasons (like WC did this year).

The same is true every year.

My only real fear is that we are so reliant on one man (Lewis). If he has another injury plagued year we could be the one who collapses in a heap.

If I were West Coast I am definitely trading pick 1. Not only is Reid too much of a risk but West Coast are in a position right now where they need numbers. If they can turn pick 1 into 2 top 10 picks or 3 first rounders it would be ideal.

West Coast would be much better suited getting 3 B grade players than 1 A+ player.

Two things:

1) Whoever joins us will get to play regularly in front of 60k crowds (when we're good again) and won't have to live in the Melbourne fishbowl. Reid is from a town of 2,000 people, McKercher is from Launceston and Curtin is from WA. Whoever lands with us will be just fine.

2) No team should ever give up an A+ player for three B grade players. If we were to land the #1 pick and trade it, it'll be to Hawthorn or Melbourne. ie. picks 4 or 5. You'd still expect an A-grader from that pick.

My club isn't mid table mediocrity and isn't just giving up a whole season. (Today notwithstanding)
If North are tanking then you need to admit Hawthorn are also tanking.

Both clubs cleared out players that would impact their results in the short term.

You can’t say one team is tanking and not the other when you cleared out Mitchell and O’Meara which are better players than the young guys that have been rotating through your midfield.

Two things:

1) Whoever joins us will get to play regularly in front of 60k crowds (when we're good again) and won't have to live in the Melbourne fishbowl. Reid is from a town of 2,000 people, McKercher is from Launceston and Curtin is from WA. Whoever lands with us will be just fine.

2) No team should ever give up an A+ player for three B grade players. If we were to land the #1 pick and trade it, it'll be to Hawthorn or Melbourne. ie. picks 4 or 5. You'd still expect an A-grader from that pick.

Going for pick 4 and 5 would be acceptable.

I just think West Coast need to focus on bringing as much young talent into the side as possible as I look at your list demographics and it is very very poor for players under 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back