Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the Eagles taking Maric mean they arent chasing Georgiades? Or that Mitch is less likely to want to go there and fight for a spot?

They now have Darling, Allen, Waterman, Maric.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think at this stage anyone trying to pries out Mitch will be taking a big risk of paying overs (or will have to totally screw Port over).

Poor form and injury will scare off those previously happy to pay a late first and Port will be very reluctant to take any less.

I think at this stage anyone trying to pries out Mitch will be taking a big risk of paying overs (or will have to totally screw Port over).

Poor form and injury will scare off those previously happy to pay a late first and Port will be very reluctant to take any less.
Reluctant to take less might not be that relevant if you have pick 1 in the PSD

Reluctant to take less might not be that relevant if you have pick 1 in the PSD

This is why he's a priority signature. If we lose him we'll get absolutely screwed at the trade table. He's out of contract, he's out of form, he's injured, and his likely trade destination has pick 1 in the PSD and no desire to do us any favours after the Rioli trade. All the elements are there for us to get offered next to nothing.

There is an article on the AFL website about pre-agents, that is, players who are going out of contract not this but the year after, I think usually for the first time. The idea is that you trade a player a year before his contract runs out so you have more leverage. They cited Taranto last year.

Brennan Cox is a pre-agent. I would do a straight swap for Georgiades if he wanted to leave and also throw in a bit of change as well.

There is an article on the AFL website about pre-agents, that is, players who are going out of contract not this but the year after, I think usually for the first time. The idea is that you trade a player a year before his contract runs out so you have more leverage. They cited Taranto last year.

Brennan Cox is a pre-agent. I would do a straight swap for Georgiades if he wanted to leave and also throw in a bit of change as well.

change? would be more like notes!

Does the Eagles taking Maric mean they arent chasing Georgiades? Or that Mitch is less likely to want to go there and fight for a spot?

Darling is on his last few legs, Georgiadies and Allen with Maric/Waterman would be a great forward line moving forward for the next 5-7 years. Arguably as good as Georgiadies, Marshall and Lord.

It’s the midfield that will make/break Georgiadies staying or going I feel, who is going to make you the best footballer you can be? Rozee, Butters and JHF or Ginby, West, Chesser, Petruccelle, Hewett?

Explain Facebook Live GIF

I don't know other than perhaps the new cba coming out but there's a lot out of contract which they are just 2 of, admittedly probably the best 2.

Last edited:

A poster who seems to have reasonable connections with the club has said that taking Maric means Georgiades isn’t on the radar for us, FWIW.

This is why he's a priority signature. If we lose him we'll get absolutely screwed at the trade table. He's out of contract, he's out of form, he's injured, and his likely trade destination has pick 1 in the PSD and no desire to do us any favours after the Rioli trade. All the elements are there for us to get offered next to nothing.
Your forgetting the Mitch element. He is unlikely to let a club which has made him feel welcome and accommodated him get screwed over at the trade table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won’t he be restricted?

We can match?

But yes that falls under the screw Port over side of things.
If we match whatever contract West Coast offer him that doesn't stop him walking to the PSD. Us matching a contract doesn't mean that he's obligated to sign that contract.

Is it still considered a campaigner act for a club like west coast to not deal fair and pick up Mitch in the PSD?

Crows get away with it.
Then, they are a s**t soulless enterprise.

They haven't had to rely on repeat business yet. GWS were pissed over Jackson Hately: Outgoing Giant Jackson Hately reveals Crows contract details after ‘frustrating’ trade stalemate

Not sure how hard they pushed the PSD line with Dawson, but clearly GWS aren't going to be doing them any Favours soon. Given they are a very easy club to deal with, it was a poor bit of a business.

They might be going through a lean patch right now but MG is only 21 and history would suggest that long term you are a better chance of playing finals, grand finals and ultimately winning premierships as a West Coast player than as a Port Adelaide player.

If he stays it will be because of loyalty to his mates and to a lesser extent the club, not because of money or perceived likelihood of success.

Historically West Coast have never finished in the bottom two back to back which is almost certain to happen. In fact they have only finished bottom two on two other occasions since being accepted into the AFL. 2010 and 2008. Do you really think history is going to help them get out of the shitstorm they are already in in the next 3 years or so? They are in a worse position now than they were in last year Why sign a contract with them before they bounce back when he can stay with a team which is far more likely to play finals football over the next 3 years? He could still leave after that and still only be 24.

Loyalty to his mates and the club might certainly be important. However as a competitive professional athlete, there is no way that playing in the most potentially successful team over the next couple of years won't be a factor.

Historically West Coast have never finished in the bottom two back to back which is almost certain to happen. In fact they have only finished bottom two on two other occasions since being accepted into the AFL. 2010 and 2008. Do you really think history is going to help them get out of the shitstorm they are already in in the next 3 years or so? They are in a worse position now than they were in last year Why sign a contract with them before they bounce back when he can stay with a team which is far more likely to play finals football over the next 3 years? He could still leave after that and still only be 24.

Loyalty to his mates and the club might certainly be important. However as a competitive professional athlete, there is no way that playing in the most potentially successful team over the next couple of years won't be a factor.

If I'm Eagles I'm putting up a 2nd round pick.

They are certainly not putting up their 1st. I'm actually splitting their 1st round pick I'm not thinking Reid is that much of a superior being.( yet)

If West Coast think they can get back up the ladder next year we might be able to do something creative with next year's 1st round pick?

If I'm Eagles I'm putting up a 2nd round pick.

They are certainly not putting up their 1st.

If West Coast think they can get back up the ladder next year we might be able to do something creative with next year's 1st round pick?
I would be doing everything in our power to convince Mitch to stay.

Pick 20/21 would do nicely. It's a good draft and we have **** all draft leverage this year. Maybe we can get a player. I suspect they would offer pick 26/27 or let him walk BS and we would end up taking it. I wouldn't be gambling on their future first.

I think splitting their first is the smart play.

Is it still considered a campaigner act for a club like west coast to not deal fair and pick up Mitch in the PSD?

Do clubs care about clubs not acting in good faith?

I am not sure that i get your point but here goes anyway...

Why would the threat of going to the PSD be seen as unfair? That has always been an AFL approved option, clubs know this and usually take the best deal they can get rather than loose a player in the Drafts for next to nothing. Port are the exception of course as we let Nick Stevens and then Ben Jacobs slip to the Draft rather than trade. It did not cost us much in either case and there were extenuating circumstances. Stevens, and his agent Max Stevens were not entirely up front in their dealings with Port and In Jacobs' case Peter Rhode stuffed up as he thought he could talk Jacobs out leaving- he was wrong.

If Port were trading for a player and that player slipped to the Draft and we picked him up for nothing I would not give a toss how we got him, I would be rapt.

Mitch wont be going to WCE. They just drafted an 18 year old undersized forward in Ryan Maric (193cm, 84kg) in context Georgiadis 21 years (192cm, 92kg).
This will mostly likely rule out WCE from pursing him.
His ACL injury will be another factor in preventing the club from wanting to pursue Georgiadis as he'll miss the start of next season and they are looking for forwards who can make an impact straight away.
Its either going to be he'll sign with us in the 2nd half of the season Or wanting a request to be traded to the Vic clubs (Hawks, Collingwood) in which case we can get an ideal draft pick or picks back our way.
Minimum it has to be a lower 1st round pick or 2 second round picks.
He's almost a 50 game player (49), proven goal kicker minus the last year and half, he's 21 and is a 10 year plus player.

I am not sure that i get your point but here goes anyway...

Why would the threat of going to the PSD be seen as unfair? That has always been an AFL approved option, clubs know this and usually take the best deal they can get rather than loose a player in the Drafts for next to nothing. Port are the exception of course as we let Nick Stevens and then Ben Jacobs slip to the Draft rather than trade. It did not cost us much in either case and there were extenuating circumstances. Stevens, and his agent Max Stevens were not entirely up front in their dealings with Port and In Jacobs' case Peter Rhode stuffed up as he thought he could talk Jacobs out leaving- he was wrong.

If Port were trading for a player and that player slipped to the Draft and we picked him up for nothing I would not give a toss how we got him, I would be rapt.
Because it was an option pre free agency and should have been removed once that was implemented.

It really negates the protections of free agency:

Mitch wont be going to WCE. They just drafted an 18 year old undersized forward in Ryan Maric (193cm, 84kg) in context Georgiadis 21 years (192cm, 92kg).
This will mostly likely rule out WCE from pursing him.
His ACL injury will be another factor in preventing the club from wanting to pursue Georgiadis as he'll miss the start of next season and they are looking for forwards who can make an impact straight away.
Its either going to be he'll sign with us in the 2nd half of the season Or wanting a request to be traded to the Vic clubs (Hawks, Collingwood) in which case we can get an ideal draft pick or picks back our way.
Minimum it has to be a lower 1st round pick or 2 second round picks.
He's almost a 50 game player (49), proven goal kicker minus the last year and half, he's 21 and is a 10 year plus player.
That's rubbish. West Coast are in rebuild and some bloke they picked up in the MSD makes no difference in pursuing a better talent in MG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back