Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I think he would be doing himself a favour if he left.

He's behind Dixon, Marshall and Finlayson at Port with Lord showing promise. At West Coast he can just slot in with minimal pressure and just focus on developing his game in a rebuilding team.

He's behind Dixon, Marshall and Finlayson at Port with Lord showing promise. At West Coast he can just slot in with minimal pressure and just focus on developing his game in a rebuilding team.

Dixon has a season left in him, two max.
Georgie is also that size and has the mobility where he can replace a tall or a small.

In theory George gets his spot as a mid sized forward who can compliment the talls of Marshall, Finlayson, and possibly Lord. However George only plays like a tall - leads and flies for marks, but is shit at ground level and hasn't shown much use up the ground. Given the aforementioned 3 have shown more flexibility in how they play, I'm not convinced Georgiades is an instant lock in the side.

That's rubbish. West Coast are in rebuild and some bloke they picked up in the MSD makes no difference in pursuing a better talent in MG.
I don’t see Mitch leaving. I have no concrete information other than I am told that he is very happy at Port. Of course he could up and leave but I suspect he will stay.

I wonder what effect not knowing who the coach is having an effect on the unsigned boys

It’s true of a few clubs

I think it’s more about his mates at the club than the coach

When I played in a shit league I cared about having mates around me couldn’t really care who the coach was.

But then I played in about e grade so who knows at the elite level lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In theory George gets his spot as a mid sized forward who can compliment the talls of Marshall, Finlayson, and possibly Lord. However George only plays like a tall - leads and flies for marks, but is s**t at ground level and hasn't shown much use up the ground. Given the aforementioned 3 have shown more flexibility in how they play, I'm not convinced Georgiades is an instant lock in the side.
Some people seem to forget that Georgiades played all but 2 of his AFL games as a 20 yo. To say that a 32 yo, 24 yo and a 27 yo are ahead of him in the tall forward stakes is like saying Bontempelli is ahead of JHF. Mitch's game, and body is going to develop significantly over the next year or two and he is going to gain experience. To not understand that and let him go with fond wishes is just plain stupid. To think that he will not gain ground, surpass and replace those three mentioned is also ridiculously short sighted.

Apparently he is in a race with another 21 yo who is averaging 3 marks a game, a 38% GA who has shown some instances of being able to crash packs and pick up a ball at ground level. Of course it is likely defenders will pay more attention to him once he has played more than six games. I still don't even see how these two are compared given they would clearly be playing different roles.

How many 20yo have played 49 games as a tall forward and also become dangerous up the ground and at ground level? The other 3 developed flexibility in how they play. I can ****ing assure you none of them had it at the age of 21. Maybe Marshall.

At a shade under 6 feet 4 and already 92 kilo he is going to outbody, outfly or outlead many opponents for years to come whether they are taller than him or not. He has already shown he can do all three at his tender age. Face facts, he would have easily retained his spot in the side this year had he not had the yips shooting for goal.

Just reflecting on the Geelong game, I think Georgiades when he comes back should play full forward and model his game a bit on how Gary Rohan goes about it. Strong leading, fast, big marks, doesn't venture to far out from goal. He would be hard to match up on. With so many creative and sweet boots in the team, we need a finisher in front of goals and Mitch could be it.

I was also thinking Burton in the Bailey Fritsch type of role too.

Just reflecting on the Geelong game, I think Georgiades when he comes back should play full forward and model his game a bit on how Gary Rohan goes about it. Strong leading, fast, big marks, doesn't venture to far out from goal. He would be hard to match up on. With so man creative and sweet boots in the team, we need a finisher in front of goals and Mitch could be it.

I think he can aim a lot higher than than Rohan.

Just reflecting on the Geelong game, I think Georgiades when he comes back should play full forward and model his game a bit on how Gary Rohan goes about it. Strong leading, fast, big marks, doesn't venture to far out from goal. He would be hard to match up on. With so many creative and sweet boots in the team, we need a finisher in front of goals and Mitch could be it.

Do you mean- play 5 minutes of eye catching footy, become completely overrated then put in some of the worst finals performances in the modern era?

Anyone will half a brain as far as coaching goes would be moulding Mitch into the centre half back/full back for the next 5-6 years. His forward craft is very questionable and looks lost a lot of the time with his impact being his ability to crash a pack. Lord looks like a much better proposition from the little we have seen and he can also crash packs. Mitch would be a lot better suited down back with the ball coming to him and using his running capacity to its fullest potential

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back