Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone will half a brain as far as coaching goes would be moulding Mitch into the centre half back/full back for the next 5-6 years. His forward craft is very questionable and looks lost a lot of the time with his impact being his ability to crash a pack. Lord looks like a much better proposition from the little we have seen and he can also crash packs. Mitch would be a lot better suited down back with the ball coming to him and using his running capacity to its fullest potential

Lord might end up at Geelong.

Anyone will half a brain as far as coaching goes would be moulding Mitch into the centre half back/full back for the next 5-6 years. His forward craft is very questionable and looks lost a lot of the time with his impact being his ability to crash a pack. Lord looks like a much better proposition from the little we have seen and he can also crash packs. Mitch would be a lot better suited down back with the ball coming to him and using his running capacity to its fullest potential
Jeremy Howe style? Probably not a bad comparison as Howe was a high flying forward before being moved back.

The way Mitch plays based on his speed and ability to mark both on the lead and the high ball would look so much better with our current game plan of quick efficient ball movement. If he can sort his kick at goal out, which he should be able to based on his early career kicking form, he would currently be dominating.

He’s got the yips and he will get over it.
Charlie is a week by week proposition next year and Mitch will move in as Charlie fades out.

Personally I'd have him pick up the most likely intercept defender and play off him.

Settle down, guys. Yeah, I got a laugh.

He just hasn't quite fit into the team yet.

I haven't seen him use this God given gifts to the max yet.

With Dixon looking like James Caan at the end of Rollerball, I thought he would be a good FF.
I think he would complement the rest of the forwards well in that role.

At the moment, I don't like him as a backman as I don't feel he has the required nous at the moment.
I've seen games where he looks lost up the field with decision-making.

And yet, Mitch (so badly out of form he was dropped) Georgiades is:
  • 4th for average marks i50
  • 1st for average marks on lead
  • 11th for average shots on goal

All of those stats are league wide.

I'd love to see him when he has had a chance to build his forward craft.

And yet, Mitch (so badly out of form he was dropped) Georgiades is:
  • 4th for average marks i50
  • 1st for average marks on lead
  • 11th for average shots on goal

All of those stats are league wide.

I'd love to see him when he has had a chance to build his forward craft.
i think he can be a forward but i think he would be a better defender, add to that i would rather see the next 3 years forward line of Marshall, Lord, Finlayson. You arent playing 4 tall forwards and its defence where he could be given the opportunity to show his best considering we dont know how long Jonas or Mckenzie have left in them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch should aim to be a Bailey Fritsch type forward - or better.
throw up team america GIF

He's an absolute gun and will play elite football for us.

He's currently considered "out of form" because he hasn't been given the opportunity to play in the Josh Carr era and is still being judged on 2022 while everyone else in the team is benefiting greatly from our leveled-up style and attacking philosophy. He would have worked his way into the side and made himself undroppable if he hadn't been injured this season.

At what point can he start practicing after a knee reconstruction?
I'm not 100% sure but it usually takes a year or so but maybe with recent innovations 9 months or so.
But he won't be confident on the knee for some time after that.
I think the whole timeline is 1.5 to 2 years back to full confidence.

I'm sure there are people who know more about it than I do.

I bet he is absolutely wishing he was out there.

Ironic. Late last season Lord was being played as a defender in the SANFL because his forward craft was being questioned.

Lets alternate Mitch and Ollie at CHB next season until its clear what suits the team best. Game by game or even quarter by quarter. Classic Blight or Sheedy move.

IMHO I'd like the look of a forward line with Mitch in it and Ollie as a KPD brute than the other way round if both were in the team.

Ironic. Late last season Lord was being played as a defender in the SANFL because his forward craft was being questioned.

Lets alternate Mitch and Ollie at CHB next season until its clear what suits the team best. Game by game or even quarter by quarter. Classic Blight or Sheedy move.

IMHO I'd like the look of a forward line with Mitch in it and Ollie as a KPD brute than the other way round if both were in the team.
i think Lord is better at reading the play and getting himself into position to mark and score goals. I just think MG has all the attributes of a really good defender in that he is not slow, can run all day, has a leap and take a genuine contested mark ae well. AS a general rule its much easier to play as a defender rather than a forward in regard to having an impact on the game. Many half-baked forwards have turned themselves into gun defenders but not many defenders have turned themselves into good forwards simply because its easier to defend the ball than to get it yourself in attack.

i think Lord is better at reading the play and getting himself into position to mark and score goals.

Ooh I couldn't disagree more really. Georgiades has always been really good at generating shots on goal.

Georgiades has been top 2 for the club in averages for marks inside 50, marks on the lead, and shots at goal in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 (apart from 2021 where he was 3rd in shots at goal but still top 2 in the other 2 categories).

Lord also had the enormous benefit of getting an extended run at it in the Carr era where we're moving the ball more quickly and directly and generating more space for our KPFs. If he'd played all the games Lord played he'd probably be leading our goalkicking.

Lord did really well in the games he played but he's a clear step below Georgiades on any measure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back