Toast Andrew Gaff (Pick 4, 2010 National Draft) - Thanks for the 1000 Cuts, Enjoy Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the end of the world but found this in an article about David Swallow extending his contract

Brilliant young West Coast Eagles draftee Andrew Gaff from Victoria for instance, is understood to be wavering on whether to agree to a third season with his inaugural AFL outfit.

Not horrible news, but not great.

Hopefully its more about Gaff keeping his earning potential open for review rather than thinking he may head back East after only two years.

We have a fair few young Vic lads in the side and the young guys in the team should really start geling over the next two years and they are looking forward to sustained finals action from 2013 > 2015.

I would be livid if West Coast didn't do their homework and he went back after 2 years. That being said, I feel it's more likely holding out for a bigger contract.

I would be livid if West Coast didn't do their homework and he went back after 2 years. That being said, I feel it's more likely holding out for a bigger contract.
yeah im already livid WC recruiting staff cant predict the future and read peoples minds.

Could be holding out to see if this squads going to challenge in the future?

Gaff would be strongly advised not to sign a 3 year deal with us.

He is the #4 draft pick and has a bright future ahead of him- in 2 years time he might deserve a higher salary. Also, who can say whether or not Gaff will like living in WA and how he will handle being away from his friends and family. He might be fine, or he might have some issues... Tying him down for 3 years won't benefit himself or our club.

Nothing to worry about here! :thumbsu: In two years time we should easily have enough room in the salary cap to keep him happy!

The article was talking about one guy who extended his deal.
They put the 'back to victoria' spin on it themselves.

So out of the 100 guys that got drafted,
Gaff was the only one not to extend his contract? :rolleyes:

Geez, surely it's fair enough for Gaff not to commit to 3, the kid's only been at the club for a month.

Imagine having been in a new job for a month and your boss sidles up, "we'd like to lock you in for the next three years, what do you say...."

Gaff would be strongly advised not to sign a 3 year deal with us.

He is the #4 draft pick and has a bright future ahead of him- in 2 years time he might deserve a higher salary. Also, who can say whether or not Gaff will like living in WA and how he will handle being away from his friends and family. He might be fine, or he might have some issues... Tying him down for 3 years won't benefit himself or our club.

Nothing to worry about here! :thumbsu: In two years time we should easily have enough room in the salary cap to keep him happy!

WCE have a great track record for keeping recruits happy. So many vics have been in and out of the side, all were happy. Judd is the only one that springs to mind of late, that went home. Hell, Brauny stuck around for ages and he was from a small town in north Victoria!!!! Wirra was another.
Hansen is a great example too.
I'm sure Gaff will be very happy at WC:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic Country kids (of whom we have drafted far more of, including Braun, Wirra, Brown, Selwood's, Rosa, Schofield (Geelong, but I'll be cheeky), Stevens, etc) are much more likely to stay than Vic Metro kids (Judd, Shuey, maybe Smith?) - which Gaff is.

IMG_3578.jpeg

Champion West Coast Eagles wingman Andrew Gaff today informed teammates that he will not continue his distinguished career into a 15th season.

Gaff, a veteran of 278 senior matches, has been an outstanding servant of the club since being drafted with selection No.4 in the 2010 draft.
The 2015 Club Champion, 2016 player of the finals and two-time All-Australian (2015, 2018) was a remarkably consistent contributor across his career with a minute variance between his best and anything short of that benchmark.

He is the all-time leading disposal winner for the club (7158) and his work rate and ability to link up the play at both Subiaco and Optus Stadium was a feature of his game

While he’s become a bit of a whipping boy on the board, let’s not forget how much Gaffy has contributed over the years. He’s been a fantastic servant to the club and stuck thick with us when he was being offered astronomical money to return to Victoria.

Gaff re-defined the wing role with his elite work rate and unbelievable gut running. Despite a lean end to his career, Gaff will go out averaging 25 disposals and a Fantasy score of 90 across his 280 game career.

Enjoy retirement Gaffy, thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
Thanks for everything, including your loyalty over 14 years.
Could have chased the big bucks going back home but you stuck firm with the club.
Should have been a premiership player but a split second reaction and glass jaw spoilt that.

The last few years weren't what anyone really expected but you will be remembered for the years of clocking up the KM's and touches on the wing, some games even leather poisoning couldn't stop you.

Deserve a game or 2 to finish the year off.

Deserve a game or 2 to finish the year off.

The club intends for Gaff to play against North Melbourne in Hobart on Saturday and to then play a farewell game in front of the Eagles faithful against Carlton at Optus Stadium in round 23 (Sunday, August 18) to enable him to reach and become eligible for AFL life membership, where the requirement is to play a total of 300 matches. It is a feat Jack Darling achieved earlier this season.

The club has confirmed he will feature in our next 2 games in order to qualify him for AFL life membership (which takes into account pre-season and representative games). He will finish on 280 games for the club and 300 AFL games in total.

The club has confirmed he will feature in our next 2 games in order to qualify him for AFL life membership (which takes into account pre-season and representative games). He will finish on 280 games for the club and 300 AFL games in total.
I have zero problem with that, but didnt sound like Schofield was keen on farewell games.

Thanks for everything you put into a club - wish you got that illusive premiership!

Has copped heaps on here the last few seasons but in his prime, he was the best wingman in the league. The kind of player you can only fully appreciate live, when you see how often he bailed us out with his incredible workrate.

Could never fault his attitude and loyalty. Hopefully the likes of Harvey Johnston have learnt well under his wing

Has become a club legend, while his form has dropped off in the past few years, I'm sure his experience and knowledge around the younger lads has been invaluable. Was a shame he never got a premiership he deserved.

All the best with retirement Gaffy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Andrew Gaff (Pick 4, 2010 National Draft) - Thanks for the 1000 Cuts, Enjoy Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back