Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that the onus is on Connor to be the best he can be.

However, those of us that have witnessed the difference great coaching can make on a group can see that Connor would be an absolute weapon in, for example, a John Cahill coached team.

Of course if he didn't meet expected team game plan standards he wouldn't get a game. No such thing as a gold pass under Jack's system.

Cahill was the ultimate maximiser of player confidence and skillset - his ability to instill self belief in players, of all ranges of the talent spectrum, was second to none - the complete antithesis of Kenny.

Connor, like all our squad, needs guidance and a vision of what a finals-successful game style looks like and works in practice. They need a new voice that can communicate an efficient, contested ball game plan, instill non-negotiable standards of discipline, demand a team first approach that however empowers player self expression.
Our current coach can't set a good finals football example, not just because he isn't tactically astute, or a great communicator or a motivator that demands excellence. He can't set a good example because he just doesn't know what winning looks like.
Connor can't excel as a player, yet alone as a captain, under this regime.

On Pixel 8a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I understand that the onus is on Connor to be the best he can be.

However, those of us that have witnessed the difference great coaching can make on a group can see that Connor would be an absolute weapon in, for example, a John Cahill coached team.

Of course if he didn't meet expected team game plan standards he wouldn't get a game. No such thing as a gold pass under Jack's system.

Cahill was the ultimate maximiser of player confidence and skillset - his ability to instill self belief in players, of all ranges of the talent spectrum, was second to none - the complete antithesis of Kenny.

Connor, like all our squad, need guidance and a vision of what a finals-successful game style looks like and works in practice. They need a new voice that can communicate an efficient, contested ball game plan, instill non-negotiable standards of discipline, demand a team first approach that however empowers player self expression.
Our current coach can't set a good finals football example, not just because he isn't tactically astute, or a great communicator or a motivator that demands excellence. He can't set a good example because he just doesn't know what winning looks like.
Connor can't excel as a player, yet alone as a captain, under this regime.

On Pixel 8a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do we need Williams back?

Talented players who suck at something under Hinkley deserve a second chance under someone else. Ken can't mentor him in leadership because Ken couldn't lead his way out of a paper bag.

I bet if Michael Voss was still here, we'd be seeing a completely different Connor Rozee.

Talented players who suck at something under Hinkley deserve a second chance under someone else. Ken can't mentor him in leadership because Ken couldn't lead his way out of a paper bag.

I bet if Michael Voss was still here, we'd be seeing a completely different Connor Rozee.
Agreed, Rozee wouldn't have been my choice but I'm prepared to cut him some slack until I see how he goes under a genuine coach, as currently he is playing like someone who could have been told captaincy is scary!

Not just Rozee but playing squad tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without doubt, yes.
Without doubt! He is borderline.

Players who have unquestionably had a better year than him:

Houston
JHF
Butters
Bergman
Georgiades

So the strongest argument you can make for him is 6th. If he is in front of any of those players then the system is broken.

Players who you could mount a strong argument have had a better year than him:

Rioli
Aliir
DBJ
Farrell
Wines
Drew
Burgoyne
BZT

Houston
JHF
Butters
Bergman
Georgiades

So the strongest argument you can make for him is 6th. If he is in front of any of those players then the system is broken.

Rioli
Aliir
DBJ
Farrell
Wines
Drew
Burgoyne
BZT

He's going to rate higher than anyone on this forum expects.

He’d be a mile in front after round 6, his start to the year was that good.

He’s had plenty of good games in the back half of the season. He’ll finish around 4-6th imo

Houston
JHF
Butters
Bergman
Georgiades

Rioli
Aliir
DBJ
Farrell
Wines
Drew
Burgoyne
BZT

Mitch has missed too many games to feature in the top 5 in a bnf voting system imo

I've been a staunch defender of Rozee this year but i was really frustrated with some of his efforts on Thursday night.

Is it just me or does he look injured too? Rozee has never been a physical contested player but he's never been notably weak in contests before either.

The last 2 years he's been an excellent inclusion at centre bounces but now for some reason he's inefficient in there? it does not make total sense to me where it's gone wrong for him

It's clear that between the Captaincy, Injuries and his family commitments he's had a pretty rough first year as captain. That's a lot of burden for a young player

However I'm backing him in to learn from this year and come back better from it. It's not always going to be linear progression for players, i think years like this can be character building.

Trent Cotchin and Darcy Moore are also about treating football as a job.

Family commitments is not a blocker to being a good captain.

Here's a question to ponder.

Will Rozee finish top 10 in the B&F this year?
If it was me voting, I would have my top 10 as:

1. JHF
2. Butters
3. Houston
4. Wines
5. Bergman
6. Georgiades
7. Allir
8. Drew
9. BZT
10. One of either Burgoyne or Rozee

Rozee has been better on peak performance but Burgoyne has taken big steps of improvement from last year. If Rozee played the full season he'd be locked in the 10 without a doubt and probably in the 5, but as it is I'd say it's borderline.

Is it just me or does he look injured too? Rozee has never been a physical contested player but he's never been notably weak in contests before either.

I thought there was talk of having back issues through the year but may be wrong.
I only started thinking about it as Rucci was on radio during the week doing his usual ‘pretending to have inside knowledge’ thing and suggested JHF may have had an epidural a couple weeks ago for his leg issues from last year. It had me thinking maybe he had the wrong player and it was Connor with the back issue getting the jab.

But I’m probably completely wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back