Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been a bit supporter of Connor but his inability to get the job done in big games is absolutely damning.

Needs a massive re-set and re-focus.
For starters, he needs to stop bombing the ball inside 50. He has a tendency to do that and he often kicks to Dixon all the time instead of lowering his eyes and going for another target.

There is a reason why JHF and Butters are rated higher according to champion data and those folks in the media. For all the skills he has, his ball use compared to JHF and Butters is average.

Last edited:
Trent Cotchin and Darcy Moore are also about treating football as a job.

Family commitments is not a blocker to being a good captain.
Trent 'ill retire early while I'm still young if we win a flag' triple premiership 300+ gamer Cotchin?

You cannot tell me something didn't change in that guys mindset.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

For starters, he needs to stop bombing the ball inside 50. He has a tendency to do that and he often kicks to Dixon all the time instead of lowering his eyes and going for another target.

Coaching, game plan. This will (fingers-crossed) start changing in another week.

I'm more worried about his lack of consistent effort. A captain needs to lead by example, and that starts by consistently putting in 4 quarter efforts. If he's not doing that, in poor form, and not being vocal out there and in the rooms ... what exactly is the point of him?

Play him on the wing and get Wines, Drew, Butters etc to feed him in space and let him use his jets.

I'm sure many others have seen it, but the AFL website's Access All Areas video today highlighted how poor Rozee's efforts were on the weekend and how uncompetitive he was at several contests and stoppage set-ups. I thought he was even worse against Freo where it had looked like he pulled out of multiple contests or went in with half a body turned away from the oncoming traffic. At the time, I assumed it was that he was saving himself after the virus he had carried that particular week. But when you look at how passive he was against Geelong, it really is damning and there can't be excuses.

Don't know what we do about it. It's undeniable really. He chooses when to compete and when not to, and there is an ever-increasing number of important matches in which he fails to bring his best effort, let-alone performance. I can't understand how he (and Wines and Butters, and to a lesser extent JHF) has become such a serial under-performer in big games. No pride?

I'm sure many others have seen it, but the AFL website's Access All Areas video today highlighted how poor Rozee's efforts were on the weekend and how uncompetitive he was at several contests and stoppage set-ups. I thought he was even worse against Freo where it had looked like he pulled out of multiple contests or went in with half a body turned away from the oncoming traffic. At the time, I assumed it was that he was saving himself after the virus he had carried that particular week. But when you look at how passive he was against Geelong, it really is damning and there can't be excuses.

Don't know what we do about it. It's undeniable really. He chooses when to compete and when not to, and there is an ever-increasing number of important matches in which he fails to bring his best effort, let-alone performance. I can't understand how he (and Wines and Butters, and to a lesser extent JHF) has become such a serial under-performer in big games. No pride?

He just doesn't have 'it'. Call it the eye of the tiger or whatever. He's just not a competitor who is going to fight and give everything to the cause.

Now this is not unique in the AFL. The talent pool is shallow and for many they don't require anything more than talent to actually get to the AFL and even to thrive to a certain extent (see Rozee's two AA guernseys). But when the whips are cracking and everyone is putting it all out there, you see who has that extra level and who just doesn't.

Choosing a guy like this as captain is a significant error.

Ever since that **** up Hammy assessment and making him play in the May showdown, he has been poor by his dual All Oz standards.

He bloody had 20 disposal and kicked 3 goals in the first half of gather round game against Essendon. That is Gray, Ablett, Martin, Dangerfield etc type stats.

I don't remember this board being pissed off at him for as long as it has this year, in his prior 5 years, for not putting in and getting a hard ball. Its hard not to think that injury has had some affect on him this year.

Don't stop believing REH. hard as nails and a great ball user to boot.
Where did I say he was hard as nails? Why do you reckon I posted a post or two earlier play him on a wing - out wide?

Obviously not the thread, but butter's finals underperformance is just as damning as Rozee, because he goes at 110% in the regular season. Can't tell me he doesn't have the eye of the tiger.

Maybe more like eye of the shark. The golfing shark.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's gotten hard to defend him. 2 elite seasons in the middle evaporate pretty quick in everyone's minds when you don't perform as captain in finals. Needs to play in the middle and make a stand.

He knows now that Butters might not be 100% so he needs to step up this game.

It's not like he isn't capable, it's clearly a between the ears thing with this guy.

This is a massive game for his career and reputation.

Don't ask me why, but i just got this feeling he is going to answer the critics. I've been absolutely filthy at him this year, and the QF felt like the last straw but he can still make amends.

Just listen to this conversation. We need to find a way to play Rozee in a position where he has space so others can win the ball and he can get on the end of it. This is our captain lol.
The suggestion to get Rozee into space is to utilise his speed, nothing else. He's won his own ball for 2.5 years.

He chooses when to compete and when not to, and there is an ever-increasing number of important matches in which he fails to bring his best effort, let-alone performance.

Sounds eerily similar to the clubs performances under the majority of Ken’s reign. Not sure what Connor is like around the club, but from an outwards perspective he looks a poor choice of Captain.

The suggestion to get Rozee into space is to utilise his speed, nothing else. He's won his own ball for 2.5 years.
Don't think he has ever won his own ball. Averaged around 8 contested possessions the past 3 years which is below average for a midfielder

Booooooo. Kenny father figure lol

He's 24 years old with a kid and he's getting married next month. And yet here is he talking about Ken being a father figure to the players. Gonna have Ken hold your hand at the wedding too, Connor?

This whole "father figure" stuff is absolute garbage. Ken has turned his young boys into a bunch of Peter Pans who will never grow up under his tutelage.

They need a massive reality check and to ultimately grow the fück up.

He's 24 years old with a kid and he's getting married next month. And yet here is he talking about Ken being a father figure to the players. Gonna have Ken hold your hand at the wedding too, Connor?

This whole "father figure" stuff is absolute garbage. Ken has turned his young boys into a bunch of Peter Pans who will never grow up under his tutelage.

Yeah the father figure stuff is just down right weird. Basically the guy is your boss, if you don’t do what’s asked he sacks you.

It’s obvious that it’s deliberate though Chewy

A) Ken likes being that person to these blokes and
B) I’m convinced he thinks it secures his job if he can threaten a walkout if we sack him

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back