Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

"made top 4, 4 times in the 6 years I've been here, we've won a lot of football games"

Roger Federer Kiss GIF by Australian Open

I honestly think Ken has made it a thing for the players to ignore "outside noise" not for the criticisms and negative impact it'll have on the players but for the fact that the truth they hear would persuade them into realising Ken's a fraud.

Give him a break - Connor Rozee

Man it’s hard to be so critical of these guys. On one hand you have a 24 year old guy who is captain of a multi million dollar organisation, has a family with a child and who speaks well… on the other hand you have someone who hasn’t stood up this year as captain of a sports team that you support, who lacks intensity and who thinks the guy leading him is his dad.
Connor is a nice guy and a nice player… he isn’t a great player or a great leader(at this point). I feel like if he wasn’t captain he could at least be a great player…. Our team lacks some serious imagination compared to the guys we face this weekend. They are so uptight… just proves we need a whole shift in the way this team feels mentally…

He's 24 years old with a kid and he's getting married next month. And yet here is he talking about Ken being a father figure to the players. Gonna have Ken hold your hand at the wedding too, Connor?

This whole "father figure" stuff is absolute garbage. Ken has turned his young boys into a bunch of Peter Pans who will never grow up under his tutelage.

They need a massive reality check and to ultimately grow the fück up.

- Well said Chewy

Like if I was an actual father to a Port player that went on about this, I'd feel kinda, not upset but unsettled by it.

Fair enough for guys like Boak or Todd who have had to live through the tragedy of losing their fathers at young ages, but most players come from good happy nuclear families, there's no reason they should be craving daddy donuts to fill a void.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ever since that **** up Hammy assessment and making him play in the May showdown, he has been poor by his dual All Oz standards.

He bloody had 20 disposal and kicked 3 goals in the first half of gather round game against Essendon. That is Gray, Ablett, Martin, Dangerfield etc type stats.

I don't remember this board being pissed off at him for as long as it has this year, in his prior 5 years, for not putting in and getting a hard ball. Its hard not to think that injury has had some affect on him this year.
You are spot on.

Even last Thursday, he did some great things and his goal just before half time was a “captain’s goal”.

But some of his missed tackles and lack of defensive run and pressure were not a good example. He must be carrying an injury or the misses has him doing the overnight feeds or something. Either way, he has to lift because teams are able to shut down on JHF and Butters knowing Rozee won’t hurt them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like if I was an actual father to a Port player that went on about this, I'd feel kinda, not upset but unsettled for it.

Fair enough for guys like Boak or Todd who have had to live through the tragedy of losing their fathers at young ages, but most players come from good happy nuclear families, there's no reason they should be craving daddy donuts to fill a void.

Are you even a father? Because that's just ridiculous. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with "your own son" saying what Rozee has. It's perfectly understandable and me, as a father of kids, adults.. It's good by me.

Ken is a hypnotist and a great one at that. Someone gotten all players to forget that he's a terrible coach but remember he's a great father figure

He's 24 years old with a kid and he's getting married next month. And yet here is he talking about Ken being a father figure to the players. Gonna have Ken hold your hand at the wedding too, Connor?

This whole "father figure" stuff is absolute garbage. Ken has turned his young boys into a bunch of Peter Pans who will never grow up under his tutelage.

They need a massive reality check and to ultimately grow the fück up.
To be fair, I have a 24 year old - he's actually pretty mature for his age and he speaks really well. I've met Connor and he's a decent bloke. His job as Captain is to lead his team, set an example by playing good hard football and represent his club in a way that makes its members proud. While I think JHF will be our best captain I think Rozee does a decent job in the interim. When he said that in his 6 years of footy he's been in in the top four in four of the six years it made me realise that while my kids haven't seen us win a grand final they've definitely been to a lot of winning games - the club hasn't had its greatest success as yet but we've been bloody close. Rozee had a quiet game last week I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll come out firing on Friday.

"made top 4, 4 times in the 6 years I've been here, we've won a lot of football games"

Roger Federer Kiss GIF by Australian Open

I honestly think Ken has made it a thing for the players to ignore "outside noise" not for the criticisms and negative impact it'll have on the players but for the fact that the truth they hear would persuade them into realising Ken's a fraud.

Give him a break - Connor Rozee
Every AFL player is encouraged to ignore outside noise if they listened to all the nuffies on the street, the media hype etc they'd go mad.

To be fair, I have a 24 year old - he's actually pretty mature for his age and he speaks really well. I've met Connor and he's a decent bloke. His job as Captain is to lead his team, set an example by playing good hard football and represent his club in a way that makes its members proud. While I think JHF will be our best captain I think Rozee does a decent job in the interim. When he said that in his 6 years of footy he's been in in the top four in four of the six years it made me realise that while my kids haven't seen us win a grand final they've definitely been to a lot of winning games - the club hasn't had its greatest success as yet but we've been bloody close. Rozee had a quiet game last week I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll come out firing on Friday.
We have not been bloody close. Bloody close is making a grand final. Gotta be in it to win it. We haven't been in it.

Connor Rozee is a jet and will end up a pretty solid captain under a better coach. His best is yet to come I reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back