Player Watch Pick #56 (2021) - Dante Visentini

Remove this Banner Ad

We will not play 2 Rucks whilst we are in contention for the 8.

Think there's a strong possibility we will try 2 Rucks if we are not in contention. Not because we think 2 Rucks is a great idea but if Jordan Sweet is holding his spot why not give Dante a run with him as well and expose him to better Rucks and see where he is at and where he has to improve for his preseason.

That 4 year deal for Soldo is not looking a smart move.

I don't like the idea of playing two rucks - not in today's modern game. But I see your view in wanting to get Dante more game time at AFL level later this year to springboard him into next season.

He's tracking very well. Rucks are traditionally a longer term proposition and he seems to be one worth persisting with. I think having him play full games in the SANFL as the lead ruck right now is perfect for his development - simply given his involvement in a game at that level would dwarf what he'd do as a 2nd ruck at AFL level.

I don't like the idea of playing two rucks - not in today's modern game. But I see your view in wanting to get Dante more game time at AFL level later this year to springboard him into next season.

He's tracking very well. Rucks are traditionally a longer term proposition and he seems to be one worth persisting with. I think having him play full games in the SANFL as the lead ruck right now is perfect for his development - simply given his involvement in a game at that level would dwarf what he'd do as a 2nd ruck at AFL level.

Think these sanfl games are great for him.
Getting him used to the idea of carrying a side.

Time against a serious body like ROB on the other hand is excellent motivation in the weights room off season. It's one thing thinking you know where you are at but it's something else knowing under match conditions.

Come the Crows that is a game we could play 2 Rucks because I suspect the Crows will want Thilthorpe getting Ruck time as well.

Last edited:
Think these sanfl games are great for him.
Getting him used to the idea of carrying a side.

Time against a serious body like ROB on the other hand is excellent motivation in the weights room off season. It's one thing thinking you know where you are at but it's something else knowing under match conditions.

Come the Crows that is a game we could play 2 Rucks because I suspect the Crows will want Thilthorpe getting Ruck time as will.

Thilthorpe is a fair natural KPF as well though. I don't think either Sweet or Dante have the nous to go forward and play that role when not in the ruck.

Thats two players running at a loose ball and then colliding with each other...

I've given up trying to work it out.

It looks like Vigo has his eyes on the ball the whole time then the "Oh shit" moment right at the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, he is a bit stiff there! But, duty of care. What goes against him is that the player in red actually bends down to reach for the ball, so the impact on his head is very dangerous.

In the last instant, one player reaches for the ball ... The other braces! First player gets knocked out, so player No 2 is always going to get sin-binned for that. We just need to get used to this. You have to make a play for the ball!

Gee, he is a bit stiff there! But, duty of care. What goes against him is that the player in red actually bends down to reach for the ball, so the impact on his head is very dangerous.

In the last instant, one player reaches for the ball ... The other braces! First player gets knocked out, so player No 2 is always going to get sin-binned for that. We just need to get used to this. You have to make a play for the ball!

Vigs copped a really bad concussion early last year. Think perhaps he's learned his lesson and possibly thought better of bending over and risking head high contact himself.

He has turned slightly to try and cushion the blow but it's like the other player was completely unaware Vigo was there. He's pretty stiff but it's going to to be if the outcome is poor you are in trouble everytime if the AFL can make it so.

I didn't mind Dante's game last night. Flipped into the side early on the day, having to play as a key forward target. He was beaten a few times but still contested hard, and has the Drew-like knack of sticking a hand out to disrupt an opposition disposal.

He competed hard in ruck and more than held his own, doesn't mind giving it a decent belt forward at centre bounces.

When he packs some more muscle onto those shoulders and thighs, he's going to be a beast.

And kicked his first goal for Port in the AFL - Forza Dante!

He did some good stuff yesterday.

There was that 5 or so minute patch in the 3rd quarter where we went to him as the marking target on the outer wing the boundary side of the centre square line, 4 times, and it resulted in 4 turnovers, twice out marked and twice ball spills off the pack and collected by Freo runners. I think it only resulted in Freo scoring 1 point, but I was worried at that point that he would become a liability the longer the game went.

But I was wrong, and he worked hard and continued to contribute like he did in the 2nd quarter, especially.

He did some good stuff yesterday.

There was that 5 or so minute patch in the 3rd quarter where we went to him as the marking target on the outer wing the boundary side of the centre square line, 4 times, and it resulted in 4 turnovers, twice out marked and twice ball spills off the pack and collected by Freo runners. I think it only resulted in Freo scoring 1 point, but I was worried at that point that he would become a liability the longer the game went.

But I was wrong, and he worked hard and continued to contribute like he did in the 2nd quarter, especially.
Yes, you weren’t alone. A few posters in the game day thread were commenting how slow he was and out of his depth he was. I thought their bounce off Half Back through Draper, his direct opponent was going to cut us up. It didn’t, he will be better for the run and exposure and we managed to snatch a win in the process.

I didn't mind Dante's game last night. Flipped into the side early on the day, having to play as a key forward target. He was beaten a few times but still contested hard, and has the Drew-like knack of sticking a hand out to disrupt an opposition disposal.

He competed hard in ruck and more than held his own, doesn't mind giving it a decent belt forward at centre bounces.

When he packs some more muscle onto those shoulders and thighs, he's going to be a beast.

And kicked his first goal for Port in the AFL - Forza Dante!
Yes he wasn't our worst.
Probably don't need him versus the Pussies and their ruck setup, and with Chuck back on deck.
But good exposure for him yesterday. Won most of the hitouts he contested. Clean hands and a goal asist. Kicked a goal - should have had two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #56 (2021) - Dante Visentini

Remove this Banner Ad

Back