Confirmed Pick swap: Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to West Coast, #14 to Richmond, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember those heady days where West Coast fans were insisting Baker was worth Hawthorn's future second that they'd definitely be getting in a Barass deal. Oh well.

Baker is a very handy player. Real heart and soul type and will very quickly win over the fan base.

Matt Clarke would want to be drafting well with his leftover first......
To be fair that take is way more rational than what just happened

14 for Baker in isolation is fine, as Freo were sitting back with pick 10 ready to pounce.

12 and Baker for 3 though? That's quite smelly given the Eagles are meant to be in full rebuild mode and they could've got a lot more than that for pick 3 had they not already committed to Baker. Eagles should've walked and force Baker to wear purple.

Last edited:
No, the Eagles aren't risking that. They already have the superstar talent in Harley Reid, who is likely a top 5 player in the league at his peak. That's something teams that get stuck in rebuilds can't find, the guy who can be built around. It's now about building a supporting cast for him, as you only need one superstar midfielder to push the needle. Equally, it's not like they're in great need of a key forward in the near future with Oscar Allen already putting up one 50-goal season (and was on a similar pace in 2024).

The risk for West Coast is they end up like Carlton in the back end of the 2010s, where they had Cripps and not much else, but really, they've already crossed the biggest hurdle a rebuilding team faces and have the face of the club for the next decade. However, this trade doesn't help their chances as it lowers the percentage of finding that supporting midfielder for Reid and Gimbley, all for two ok small forwards.

Carlton are the big winners seeing they're one piece away from pushing a premiership and pick 3 is able to get them a top tier small forward in this draft (and small forwards are the thing that supercharge good lists, and by god do they need a good small forward due to trading out their only competent one).
Yet, watch them draft another midfielder lol. The best small fwd in this draft is Kako who'll be in red & black. Maybe Murphy Ried or Joe Berry but that may be a waste at 3.
They're probably targeting Lalor. Play him as a fwd until Cripps is done in there.

My take on this:

Carlton - Has essentially given up a F1 to move into the top 3 of a strong draft. I think it's a good move but it's a decent price and clearly the Blues need to nail this pick. Not at all worried about losing Owies.

Richmond - It'll hurt them to see a great servant of the footy club playing elsewhere, but they gain a good pick to help kick start the rebuild.

West Coast - Baker and Owies will both be good for them over the next few years. It's not a great return for a top 3 pick, but it's not a complete disaster.

Carlton and everyone else apart from Port Adelaide don't think giving up 2 x 1st rounders plus a fair chunk of salary cap is worth it for Houston.

Which is why we are a day out from trade week closing and no deal has been done for him.

Carlton have their eye on highly rated top player and did something about it instead of sitting back twiddling our thumbs.
Okay, well now whoever you draft at pick 3 is going to be compared to Houston.

He's going to be compared to the players selected with the 12 and 14 picks.

He's going to be compared to the players selected with Carlton's future 1st and 2nd rounders.

A lotta pressure for that kid, because Carlton have given up a lot to get him. At least Houston is a known commodity.

So, still doesn't make sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on this:

Carlton - Has essentially given up a F1 to move into the top 3 of a strong draft. I think it's a good move but it's a decent price and clearly the Blues need to nail this pick. Not at all worried about losing Owies.

Richmond - It'll hurt them to see a great servant of the footy club playing elsewhere, but they gain a good pick to help kick start the rebuild.

West Coast - Baker and Owies will both be good for them over the next few years. It's not a great return for a top 3 pick, but it's not a complete disaster.
If they can land Bo Allen at 12 (14), I think they won't mind. His the best WA prospect and a safe one. Will play along side Ried in midfield for years to come.

Okay, well now whoever you draft at pick 3 is going to be compared to Houston.

He's going to be compared to the players selected with the 12 and 14 picks.

He's going to be compared to the players selected with Carlton's future 1st and 2nd rounders.

A lotta pressure for that kid, because Carlton have given up a lot to get him. At least Houston is a known commodity.

So, still doesn't make sense to me.
So the 15 picks you gave away are going to be compared to JHF?

Carlton would like Houston but the ridiculous price Port have put on his head which is their right made it not viable. We have a number of players that can play across half back and believe getting as high in the draft as possible is the best thing for us.

So the 15 picks you gave away are going to be compared to JHF?

Carlton would like Houston but the ridiculous price Port have put on his head which is their right made it not viable. We have a number of players that can play across half back and believe getting as high in the draft as possible is the best thing for us.
JHF? What? When we traded for JHF we knew who we were trading for? I'm confused at that.

It's not a ridiculous price put on his head if you look at what others are fetching. You guys gave up a ridiculous amount for a single draft prospect, of course he's going to be compared to what you missed out on.

Edit: Look at Liam Stocker, you guys gave up a future first just to get him. Was he ever NOT known as the guy Carlton traded a lot for?

14 for Baker in isolation is fine, as Freo were sitting back with pick 10 ready to pounce.

12 and Baker for 3 though? That's quite smelly given the Eagles are meant to be in full rebuild mode and they could've got a lot more than that for pick 3 had they not already committed to Baker. Eagles should've walked and force Baker to wear purple.
I think it's the other way. 3 for 12, 14 and Owies is maybe a slight loss. It's 14 for Baker that makes this deal bad for West Coast.

West Coast lose, Carlton have done well, Richmond are the big winners out of this trade.

My take on this:

Don't forget the future 2nd.

Still looks a good deal as long as you nail the pick. If the pick ends up average, or the wheels fall off next year it suddenly looks pretty average.

I think it's the other way. 3 for 12, 14 and Owies is maybe a slight loss. It's 14 for Baker that makes this deal bad for West Coast.

West Coast lose, Carlton have done well, Richmond are the big winners out of this trade.
Yeah that's pretty much what I said isn't it?

If Eagles had have got 14 + something else decent for Barrass, given that 14 to us and kept 3 then the Eagles fans would be nowhere near as outraged. Even though the price for Baker remained the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Pick swap: Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to West Coast, #14 to Richmond, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back