List Mgmt. Pick your Round 1 team for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2007
Magpieland!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Orlando Magic & Florida Panthers
Ok, just for shits and giggles, try and pick your team for round 1 next season as well as the moves we will make from today right through to the start of round 1 next season. Will close this thread in 48 hours and will re hash once Round 1 begins next season! If your really smart name our draftees!

Starting 22:
B: O'Brien Brown Williams
HB: Goldsack Keefe Henderson
C: Young Beams Sidebottom
HF: Macaffer Reid Ball
FF: Elliot Cloke White
R: Grundy Swan Pendlebury

IC: Blair Adams Jo Thomas
Sub: Alex Fasolo
Emerg: Dwyer Maxwell Seedsman

Still injured or on the fringe:
Toovs (Still recovering from knee)
Broomhead
Hudson
Witts
Lynch
Sinclair
Kyle Martin
Kennedy
Mooney
Ramsey
Frost
Marty Clarke
Pick 11
Pick 10

My predicted Off Season Trades:
Pies and GWS trade Shaw and a 3rd Rounder for Adams and a 2nd Rounder.
Pies trade 2nd round pick from GWS to Crows for Henderson.
Pies trade 3rd round pick to Swans for Jesse White.

Other losses: Dale Thomas goes to Blues through Free Agency (We get pick 11 as compo)
Jackson Paine to the Bulldogs for a 3rd Rounder.

B: Williams, Brown, Goldsack
HB: Seedsman, Keeffe, Fasolo/Sidebottom
C: Young, Swan, O'Brien
HF: Sidebottom/Fasolo, Reid, Beams
F: Elliott, Cloke, Witts
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Ball
IC: J. Thomas, Macaffer, Kennedy/Blair/Martin (preference in that order)
Sub: Dwyer/Broomhead

Assuming we don't bring anybody in. If we get White, that probably pushes Witts out. If we get Adams, that puts pressure on JT and even Ball.

I'm a fan of moving one of Fasolo, Sidebottom or Dwyer (if he plays) into the backline as a loose sweeper purely out of necessity. I hate the idea of O'Brien working back as a sweeper from the wing. He is a terrible user of the ball, even though he provides dash. Mitchell, Bartel and Hodge and others prove that you don't need a lot of dash if you are good with ball in hand and can cut the opposition up. I know I'm leaving out Maxwell, but I am cold on Maxwell in the starting 22. Should play more VFL and begin to transition into a coaching role IMO.

Forgot about Toovey, but I don't think he will available to play Rd. 1 next year anyways.

B: Williams, Brown, Keefe,
Hb: Seedsman, Reid, Toovey
C: Young, Ball, O'Brien
HF:Sidebottom, Lynch, Beams
F: Elliott, Cloke, Fasolo,
R: Grundy, Swan, Pendlebury
Ic: Kennedy, Thomas, Martin,
Sub: Dwyer.

This is based on who we have at full strength but also who we are likely to lose I.e. Shaw and Thomas.

Reid starts back and is ultimately supposed to become the lose man in defence. However, I want him to play a bit like Harry Taylor does and float forward when he can. If we need someone up permanently forward, we still have Keefe and Brown back to cover talls.

Sidebottom needs to play closer to goal, he is a genuine threat around half forward because he can blow his opponent up with his endurance pushing centre and up the wing, but then he can shrug them off and sneak forward. We need to kick more goals. He can pinch hit in the midfield at times.

Fasolo and Elliot stay as forwards for the whole game. They are natural goal kickers, despite not being tall, they are good grabs and dangerous players if left too much space. So they will offer Cloke support.

Beams starts as the resting mid forward, but will mostly play in the midfield. His spot in the forward line will be rotated through by the resting mids, similar to Sidebottom but Beams should more time in the middle rather than forward.

Lynch will get better if we let him play more like a leading centre half forward. He is very fit for an older bloke and leads well, if we push him up from forward to lead through the middle he will take an opponent with him, en when he gets it he can bomb it in to one of Cloke, Reid, Fasolo or Elliott.

The bench is mostly made of mids as we will need to have a lot of running through the centre and with the interchange cap, this could be a problem.

The rest are pretty self explanatory. This team is based on this season's performances with prior knowledge of players and their abilities. It doesn't take into account form, injuries, trades etc...

There may well be younger players that step up or players we trade in that could step right into a role.

Right now with what we have...
Tall Backs
Brown, Keeffe, Maxwell

Small Backs
Williams, Toovey, Sinclair

Inside Midfielders
Beams, Pendlebury, Ball, Swan, Blair, Thomas

Outside Midfielders
Sidebottom, O'Brien, Seedsman, Young

Tall Forwards
Cloke, Reid, Lynch

Small Forwards
Elliott, Dwyer

Rucks
Grundy

Editable depending on who we pick up/trade. Not what I'd choose, what I'd expect to see.

Next cabs off the rank include...Frost, Goldsack, Kennedy, Fasolo, Martin, Macaffer.

Hm.....

Backs: Williams Brown Sinclair
Half Backs: Henderson Keefe Toovey
Centre: O'Brien Pendles Young
Half Fwds: Dwyer Cloke Fasolo
Forwards: White Reid Elliott
Rucks: Beams Grundy Swan

Bench: Macaffer, Ball, Sidebottom
Sub: J Thomas

Backs: Williams Brown Toovey
Half Backs: Henderson* Keefe Sidebottom
Centre: O'Brien Pendles Young
Half Fwds: Adams* Cloke Fasolo
Forwards: White Reid Elliott
Rucks: Grundy Beams Swan

Bench: J. Thomas, Ball, Seedsman, Blair

*Goldsack and Dwyer

Depth: Kennedy, Macaffer, Oxley, Ramsay, Lynch, Maxwell, Sinclair, Hudson, Martin, first round draft picks.

Team as it stands today
FB: Williams, Brown, Toovey
HB: Young, Reid, Sidebottom
C: Thomas, Ball, Obrien
HF: Beams, Lynch, Seedsman
FF: Elliot, Cloke, Martin
Foll: Grundy, Swan, Pendlebury
Bench: Blair, Mcaffer, Goldsack
Sub: Kennedy

First to come in in case of poor form or injury (in preference order):
Backs; Maxwell
Mids; Sinclair, Dwyer, Fasolo (wing)
Forwards; Fasolo, Dwyer
Ruck; Witts, Hudson

If predicted trades come in:
Jesse White: goes to CHF, takes out Lynch. Lynch now becomes number 1 ruck/power forward backup
Ricky Henderson: Back Pocket if Toovey is not 100% RD1, if he is, Thomas to the bench, Young to wing, Toovey to half back flank, Henderson to Back Pocket and Blair moved to number 1 mid/small forward backup

Hopefully never have to see pull on the Black and White again:
Marty Clarke

Williams Brown Toovey
Obrien Reid Goldsack

Pendleberry Beams Ball
Grundy Swan Adams

Young White Sidebottom
Elliot Cloke Fasolo

Seedsman Karnesis* Blair Macaffer

Believe Reid is better down back however this depends on whether White/Lynch can perform up forward. I am keen on getting Karnesis, believe he is underrated and showed potential in reserves, I suspect he wasn’t given a game due to his desire to leave. He can offer forward pressure and if we use in conjunction with Goldsack can stretch a defence for height whilst maintaining forward pressure. Imagining trying to man up Goldsack Karnesis Cloke and white/lynch. I’m not saying it’s our number one plan of attack but it gives us flexibility. Seedsman offers to much upside to be kept out of the side, in addition more games should be given to Kennedy Broomhead and Ramsay.

B: Toovey, Keefe, Williams
Hb: Maxwell, Brown, Young
C: Beams, Thomas, O'Brien
Hf: Sidebottom, White, Blair
F: Elliot, Cloke, Reid
R: Grundy, Swan, Pendles
Bench: Ball, Macaffer, Seedsman
Sub: Fasolo

Maxwell getting a game is highly dependant on him being captain next year, if not push Sidey back to HB and Adams on the flank.

Kennedy, Broomhead, Ramsay, Witts, will all play roles through the year.

I wish I could find room for gold sack as well

2014 Best 22

B: Marley Williams - Nathan Brown - Alan Toovey
HB: Paul Seedsman - Lachlan Keefe - Harry O'Brien
C: Steele Sidebottom - D.Beams - Clinton Young
HF: T.Adams - Travis Cloke - Alex Fasolo
F: Jamie Elliott - Ben Reid - Jesse White
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Dane Swan
INT: Luke Ball - Brent Macaffer - Josh Thomas - Tyson Goldsack

DEPTH: Maxwell- Karnezis - Witts - Sinclair - Broomhead - Martin - Blair - Clarke - Frost - Kennedy - Lynch

White, Adams and Karnezis all look like joining us and Clinton Young is practically a new recruit.
Alex Fasolo and Alan Toovey barely played.

It's looking like Jesse White will play the second ruck, but we also have the option of pushing Reid back and playing Lynch as a permanent forward.

Really like the balance of this team and if we can attack the season like 2010/11, with manic tackling and team footy i think we will be there abouts in 2014.

Carn' guys let's see some more ROUND 1 teams for next season. No best 22's just your Round 1 predictions and throw in your projected traded in players.

Don't be shy :)

B: A.Toovey, N.Brown, M.Williams
HB: R.Henderson, L.Keefe, S.Sidebottom
C: H.O'brien, S.Pendlebury, C.Young
HF: D.Swan, T.Cloke, A.Fasolo
F: J.White, B.Reid, J.Elliott
R: B.Grundy, D.Beams, T.Adams
I: L.Ball, B.Macaffer, J.Thomas
Sub: B.Kennedy

Depth: S.Dwyer, N.Maxwell, P.Seedsman, J.Blair, T.Goldsack, B.Hudson, Q.Lynch, Pick 10, Pick 11

This may some optimistic, but our squad is still very capable of going all the way next season. Essentially we will have essentially 6 new best 22 player next season(if trades go through) that will all improve the side. And really we only lose Heath Shaw as the only best 22 player that played consistently for all of last season.

Again, our season will be defined by our injuries... i have opted to select some younger faces such as kennedy and joshy thomas over experienced campaigners such as Maxwell and Blair because i feel that is the path the club will be going down next season.

In saying that, having the likes of; Blair, Goldsack, Maxwell etc as cover and depth will allow us to cover the likelihood of injuries.

I am so excited about this club moving forward because i think we are;
1) Still capable of winning a flag next season
2) Have some of the most talented youngsters coming through
3) Have the cap space to add to this promising side next year, where we can target players like Andrew Walker through free agency

Collingwood has been in the finals now for 8 straight years, and that is going to continue moving forward.

Floreat Pica.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Toovey Brown Williams
HB: O'brien Keefe Henderson
C: Young Beams Sidebottom
HF: Adams Reid Swan
FF: Walker Cloke White
R: Grundy Ball Pendlebury

Inter: Garlett Fasolo Elliot Goldsack/Seedsman

B: Williams, Brown, Young,
Hb: Sinclair, Keefe, Toovey
C: Sidebottom, Ball, O'Brien
HF:White, Cloke, Beams
F: Elliott, Reid, Fasolo,
R: Grundy, Swan, Pendlebury
Ic: Blair, Thomas, Martin,
Sub: Adams.

B: Keefe Brown Williams
HB: Seedsman Reid O'Brien
C: Beams Ball Adams
HF: Elliot Cloke Sidebottom
FF: Fasolo White Goldsack
R: Grundy Swan Pendlebury

IC: Dwyer Young J.Thomas Macaffer

My round 1 team assumes we get Adams and White.
It also assumes Tooves is still not fully recovered and available for selection.

What's the point until we know who has been recruited for the 2014 season?

what's the point of saying anything on BF?

for fun.

my team would be

B- Williams Keeffe sinclair
HB- O'Brien Brown Reid(swingman/lose man)
C- Young Ball Swan
HF- Beams White Fasolo
F- Elliot Cloke Dywer
R- Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Int: J.Thomas Sidebottom Blair Sub:Goldsack

Fringe:
Forwards: Lynch Mooney Paine
Midfield: Martin Kennedy Broomhead Macaffer Hudson Witts
Defense: Oxley Frost Maxwell Seedsmen

I think kennedy will become best 22 by round 7-8, broomhead witts mooney seedsmen to play plenty of games

Just for fun then:

B: Fasolo Keeffe Toovey
HB: Oxley Brown O'Brien
C: Sidebottom Ball Adams
HF: Pendlebury Cloke Swan
F: Blair Reid White
R: Grundy Beams Williams

Elliott, McCaffer, Dwyer / Broomhead, Martin / Thomas

Witts, Frost, Maxwell, Kennedy, Clark, Paine, Young, Lynch, Hudson, Sinclair, Ramsey, Seedsman, Mooney

B: Sylvia Maxwell Bugg
HB: R. Henderson T. Boyd Varcoe
C: Armstrong Shuey Sidebottom
HF: Dal Santo Riewoldt Walker
FF: Chapman Cloke White
R: Jamar Kerr Sewell

INT: Karnezis, Adams, Kreuzer, Martin

B: Sylvia Maxwell Bugg
HB: R. Henderson T. Boyd Varcoe
C: Armstrong Shuey Sidebottom
HF: Dal Santo Riewoldt Walker
FF: Chapman Cloke White
R: Jamar Kerr Sewell

INT: Karnezis, Adams, Kreuzer, Martin
Look a bit weak in the ruck. Someone start a rumour about Nic Nat or Goldstein coming to the Pies, please.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Pick your Round 1 team for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back