List Mgmt. Pick your Round 1 team for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Toovey looks like he will be available for round one. Not sure about Marley but I think he will play.

Backs: N. Maxwell N. Brown A. Toovey
Half-Backs: T. Armstrong L. Keeffe M. Williams

Center: H. Lumumba L. Ball S. Pendlebury

Half-Forwards: A. Fasolo T. Cloke D. Beams
Forwards: J. Elliot B. Reid J. White

Rucks: B. Grundy T. Adams D. Swan

I/C: B. Maccaffer B. Kennedy S. Sidebottom
Sub: C. Young
Are you just stirring the pot picking Williams for round 1 or living under a rock? Makes me even more so with Armstrong too.

Are you just stirring the pot picking Williams for round 1 or living under a rock? Makes me even more so with Armstrong too.

Williams out Sinclair in. Don't know why nobody likes Armstrong.

Round 1

Backs: Toovey (Langdon if no Toovs), Brown, Young (kick ins)
Half backs Maxwell, Keeffe, Sidebottom
Mid 6 : Grundy, Pendlebury, Beams
Adams, Ball, Swan
Half forward: Kennedy, Cloke, White
Forwards: Elliott, Reid, Fasolo

Interchange OBrien, Thomas, MacCaffer sub: Goldsack

I'm assuming Williams is out.
Might have to swap out Thomas for stinkers. Might enable Young to spend a bit more time on the wing and across half forward.

Well I'm changing my team all the time and hopefully no more injury come or off field drama will happen:

Backs: N. Maxwell N. Brown A. Toovey
Half-Backs: T. Armstrong L. Keeffe S. Sidebottom

Center: H. Lumumba L. Ball S. Pendlebury

Half-Forwards: A. Fasolo T. Cloke D. Beams
Forwards: J. Elliot B. Reid J. White

Rucks: B. Grundy T. Adams D. Swan

I/C: B. Maccaffer B. Kennedy C. Young
Sub: M. Clarke

Through some research on the Fremantle boards I have come up with an approximate Round 1 lineup for them, which will hopefully help us when we are doing ours.

B: Spurr - Dawson – C. Pearce
HB: Duffield – Johnson – McPharlin

C: Hill - Barlow - D. Pearce

HF: Walters – Clarke - de Boer
F: Mayne - Pavlich – Ballantyne

R: Sandilands – Mundy – Fyfe

I: Mzungu - Sheridan - Neale – Crowley

They are coming in with quite a strong team. With Gumbleton out for 12 weeks they have to bring in Clarke to take his spot, with his height Keeffe will have to go to him.

B: Fasolo - Brown - Toovey
HB: Maxwell - Keefe – Sinclair

C: Beams – Ball – Adams

HF: White - Reid - Sidebottom
F: Elliot - Cloke - Kennedy

R: Grundy – Swan – Pendlebury

I: Lumumba, Young, Macaffer, (Langdon)

If Freo line up like I have above, I hope we go out with something like this.

Brown will have to go to Pav because Keeffe will have the job on Clarke. With Seedsman and Williams out we should bring in Fas and Sinclair, who will go with Ballantyne and Walters respectively, hopefully Fas continues the form down back that he started in the NAB Challenge. Toovey will have the job on Mayne, which is a tough one but I think if he goes to his early 2013 game he can manage. Maxwell will go on de Boer, hopefully with the load of being captain off his back he will improve. Not likely, but in any case he has to get to 200 games.

Moving on to the mids, Beams will take Hill. He has the pace to keep up with him, but with the amount of leather our boy will get I wonder if it won't be vice-versa.

Barlow and Ball will start centre. Both have similar abilities, so this match up could go either way, but I trust in the experience of Ball to know what to do. Lastly, Adams will have the job on Pearce. Both are small and quite pacey, and it will be a test, but I think Adams will do good.

Going up forward, we have the standard Collingwood formula. Reid will start FF, a role that he has proved to be very adept at. He will have Kennedy and Elliot in either pocket, which will let him go for marks in the confidence that if he drops it one of those two will get the crumbs and kick a goal. Elliot can also push up the flank and provide a marking option to draw the defenders thin, and this ability coupled with his newfound midfield talent will prove quite a handful for most teams.

Cloke will start CHF like he did in 2011, where I feel he played his best football. He seems to have worked on his goalkicking over the pre-season, so if he can play like he did in 2011 with that addition it will take a top job from a defender to shut him down. White will start next to Cloke, he can provide another marking option while on the break, and he is unnaturally quick for a 196cm guy. We saw in the NAB Challenge vs Geelong what he is capaable of when fit and firing, all we can do is hope that he a can carry that over to the H&A season. Sidebottom will take the other flank. He has proven to be one of our most consistent players over his short career, and at the age of 23 he seems ripe to turn into a gun of the competition.

Although Elliot was somewhat inconsistent last year, he is entering his 3rd playing year and with another preseason under his belt he should have ironed out that problem. With the new interpretation on the contested marking rule, Cloke should be a lot more confident when using his body in marking contests, and hopefully we won't see another Adelaide match this year. Sidebottom's questionable goalkicking isn't a massive turn off, but in the NAB Challenge he looked like he was struggling to pick the ball up of the ground. I'm not sure if that is a massive issue either, but it did seem to cost us some valuable clearances throughout the games.

I don't really know how that Fremantle will line up on our forwards, but I had a reasonably educated guess. You'd have more luck asking one of their guys, but I'm sure however they do it we will still score well.

Moving into the Ruck division, we have the man the myth the legend Brodie Grundy. I have no doubt that Grundy will play well, but he is coming up against Sandilands and Clarke, two absolute giants. I'm also not sure about how Grundy will fare going deeper into the season. He will unavoidably get tired as a 20 year old first choice ruckman, so at some point we will have to upgrade Hudson or play Witts, who I'm not sure is ready to continually play AFL. At Rover and Ruck-Rover we have Swan and Pendlebury. Not much has to be said about these two as we all know their abilities very well. Fyfe and Pendlebury will be a good matchup to see, and Swan should get plenty of the ball.

Lastly, we have the interchange bench. Lumumba will start here, and them be brought on in either the midfield or backline depending on how they are playing. Next is Young. He will play like Lumumba, filling the holes in any of the lines. He can also push up onto half forward to provide some long-range firepower. I'm not too sure who Macaffer will take, as Fremantle have quite a few players capable of ripping the game apart, my guess is either Fyfe or Barlow. If he goes on Fyfe it will be to let Pendles roam the ground doing what Pendles does best, and if he goes on Barlow Ball will likely be found at the bottom of every pack and contest that happens during the game. Next is the sub Tommy Langdon. I really liked how he played in the NAB Challenge and he has great skills and footy smarts for a 19 year old. He can play midfield and backline, but I feel that he plays best down back.

The game should be quite a contest, and I eagerly await the first siren of 2014 :D

Oh, and sorry for the obnoxiously long post, but I had a lot to say :p

Last edited:
Toovey. Brown. Sinclair
Maxwell Reid keeffe
H pendlebury young
Beams Cloke Steele
Kennedy White Elliott

Grundy swan ball

Adams caff Witts/Langdon
Sub: Fasolo

Ready To go
Macaffer
Grundy
Maxwell
Kennedy
Lumumba
Clarke
Pendlebury
Ball
Adams
Young
Brown
Beams
White
Elliott
Reid
Lynch
Sidebottom
Keeffe
Armstrong
Ramsay
Cloke
Swan
Langdon
Marsh

Under Prepared/Unavailable
Fasolo*
Dwyer
Goldsack*
Blair
Witts*
Thomas
Williams
Sinclair*
Broomhead
Karnezis
Toovey*
Scharenberg
Freeman
Seedsman
Oxley

Rookies
Hudson
Martin
Yagmoor
Gault
Frost
Mooney

The way I see it is we have 24 definites available for selection (obviously pending any mishaps between now and Round 1) and five more that could elevate themselves in the coming fortnight. Preferably those five play in the VFL practice match. I could also see two rookie list players (Frost + Hudson/Mooney IMO) being elevated in the coming days due to long term injuries, taking the available squad to 30. This leaves me thinking that Round 1 would see us looking a bit like this.....

B: Toovey - Brown - Keeffe
HB: Young - Reid - Maxwell
C: Lumumba - Beams - Swan
HF: Macaffer - White - Sidebottom
F: Elliott - Cloke - Kennedy
RUCKS: Grundy - Pendlebury - Ball
INT: Adams - Langdon - Armstrong
SUB: Fasolo
EMER: Lynch - Clarke - Goldsack

Why is Reid getting named in the Backline. Buckley has already said he wanted to use him in the forward line.

Why is Reid getting named in the Backline. Buckley has already said he wanted to use him in the forward line.
Its a pick YOUR round 1 team, not pick NATHANS round 1 team. Everyones entitled to which players they think will be good for round 1. Im wondering why you have Clarke as the Sub because 1. he isnt a good AFL footballer and he wouldnt make an impact on the field, and 2. There are better backman to choose from in Sinclair and Langdon(i rate him highly after 3 impressive games), id also probably have Ramsay over Clarke and Armstrong. Everyones entitled to have Reid in the backline as much as you to say Clarke would be the sub, 99% chance Reid plays a huge chunks at each end of the ground in 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO no way Keeffe, Reid, Maxwell and Brown will all play in the back line at one time. Fremantle will struggle to get many talls on the park. Pavlich a rotating Sanderlands/Clarke (underdone) will be the extent of their tall forwards. Mayne at 188 cm will be taken by a Toovey or Langdon type. That will mean either Reid or Keeffe will have to go forward or be dropped.

Since when does it matter where players are named?

Since when does it matter where players are named?

When people name Reid in the backline they usually imply he will play in defence. Its different on official line ups.

When people name Reid in the backline they usually imply he will play in defence. Its different on official line ups.

When a player goes both ways he can be positioned at either end.

Through some research on the Fremantle boards I have come up with an approximate Round 1 lineup for them, which will hopefully help us when we are doing ours.

B: Spurr - Dawson – C. Pearce
HB: Duffield – Johnson – McPharlin

I: Mzungu - Sheridan - Neale – Crowley

They are coming in with quite a strong team. With Gumbleton out for 12 weeks they have to bring in Clarke to take his spot, with his height Keeffe will have to go to him.

B: Fasolo - Brown - Toovey
HB: Maxwell - Keefe – Sinclair

C: Beams – Ball – Adams

HF: White - Reid - Sidebottom
F: Elliot - Cloke - Kennedy

R: Grundy – Swan – Pendlebury

I: Lumumba, Young, Macaffer, (Langdon)

If Freo line up like I have above, I hope we go out with something like this.

Brown will have to go to Pav because Keeffe will have the job on Clarke. With Seedsman and Williams out we should bring in Fas and Sinclair, who will go with Ballantyne and Walters respectively, hopefully Fas continues the form down back that he started in the NAB Challenge. Toovey will have the job on Mayne, which is a tough one but I think if he goes to his early 2013 game he can manage. Maxwell will go on de Boer, hopefully with the load of being captain off his back he will improve. Not likely, but in any case he has to get to 200 games.

Moving on to the mids, Beams will take Hill. He has the pace to keep up with him, but with the amount of leather our boy will get I wonder if it won't be vice-versa.

Barlow and Ball will start centre. Both have similar abilities, so this match up could go either way, but I trust in the experience of Ball to know what to do. Lastly, Adams will have the job on Pearce. Both are small and quite pacey, and it will be a test, but I think Adams will do good.

Going up forward, we have the standard Collingwood formula. Reid will start FF, a role that he has proved to be very adept at. He will have Kennedy and Elliot in either pocket, which will let him go for marks in the confidence that if he drops it one of those two will get the crumbs and kick a goal. Elliot can also push up the flank and provide a marking option to draw the defenders thin, and this ability coupled with his newfound midfield talent will prove quite a handful for most teams.

Cloke will start CHF like he did in 2011, where I feel he played his best football. He seems to have worked on his goalkicking over the pre-season, so if he can play like he did in 2011 with that addition it will take a top job from a defender to shut him down. White will start next to Cloke, he can provide another marking option while on the break, and he is unnaturally quick for a 196cm guy. We saw in the NAB Challenge vs Geelong what he is capaable of when fit and firing, all we can do is hope that he a can carry that over to the H&A season. Sidebottom will take the other flank. He has proven to be one of our most consistent players over his short career, and at the age of 23 he seems ripe to turn into a gun of the competition.

Although Elliot was somewhat inconsistent last year, he is entering his 3rd playing year and with another preseason under his belt he should have ironed out that problem. With the new interpretation on the contested marking rule, Cloke should be a lot more confident when using his body in marking contests, and hopefully we won't see another Adelaide match this year. Sidebottom's questionable goalkicking isn't a massive turn off, but in the NAB Challenge he looked like he was struggling to pick the ball up of the ground. I'm not sure if that is a massive issue either, but it did seem to cost us some valuable clearances throughout the games.

I don't really know how that Fremantle will line up on our forwards, but I had a reasonably educated guess. You'd have more luck asking one of their guys, but I'm sure however they do it we will still score well.

Moving into the Ruck division, we have the man the myth the legend Brodie Grundy. I have no doubt that Grundy will play well, but he is coming up against Sandilands and Clarke, two absolute giants. I'm also not sure about how Grundy will fare going deeper into the season. He will unavoidably get tired as a 20 year old first choice ruckman, so at some point we will have to upgrade Hudson or play Witts, who I'm not sure is ready to continually play AFL. At Rover and Ruck-Rover we have Swan and Pendlebury. Not much has to be said about these two as we all know their abilities very well. Fyfe and Pendlebury will be a good matchup to see, and Swan should get plenty of the ball.

Lastly, we have the interchange bench. Lumumba will start here, and them be brought on in either the midfield or backline depending on how they are playing. Next is Young. He will play like Lumumba, filling the holes in any of the lines. He can also push up onto half forward to provide some long-range firepower. I'm not too sure who Macaffer will take, as Fremantle have quite a few players capable of ripping the game apart, my guess is either Fyfe or Barlow. If he goes on Fyfe it will be to let Pendles roam the ground doing what Pendles does best, and if he goes on Barlow Ball will likely be found at the bottom of every pack and contest that happens during the game. Next is the sub Tommy Langdon. I really liked how he played in the NAB Challenge and he has great skills and footy smarts for a 19 year old. He can play midfield and backline, but I feel that he plays best down back.

The game should be quite a contest, and I eagerly await the first siren of 2014 :D

Oh, and sorry for the obnoxiously long post, but I had a lot to say :p

I've read shorter uni essays.

B: Spurr - Dawson – Johnson
F: Elliot - Reid- White

HB: Duffield – Mcpharlin – C. Pearce
HF: Adams - Cloke - Sidebottom

C: Lumumba - Beams - Young

HB: Sinclair - Keeffe - Maxwell

B: Toovey- Brown - Langdon

R: Grundy - Pendlebury - Swan

I: Mzungu - Sheridan - Crowley
I: Luke Ball - Macaffer - Kennedy
Sub: Neale
Sub: Fasolo

Big games from
Reid
Cloke
Beams
Pendlebury
Swan
Grundy

And goods games from
White
Sinclair (on Walters)
Keeffe (on clarke)
Brown (on pav)
Toovey (on Mayne)
Langdon (if he plays well, he will play the next 2 games guaranteed)
Macaffer (on Mundy/Fyfe)

If the rest of the team play average we should win.

FB: Toovey, Brown, Maxwell
CHB: Sinclair, Keeffe, Young
C: Lumumba, Beams, Sidebottom
CHF: Dwyer, White, Fasolo
FF: Reid, Cloke, Elliott
Foll: Grundy, Pendlebury, Swan
Bench: Ball, Thomas, Blair, Adams

I have heard that Thomas, Blair and Dwyer have all been training very strongly and will play thins week in the VFL. It they play well I think they will be back in the side for round one. Think Kennedy and Langdon would be very stiff to miss but that is what happens I guess

an updated round 1- Young hasn't justified a starting 22 for round 1 in my opinion.

Backs - Tooves, Keeffe, Maxwell
H/Backs - Williams, Brown, Sinclair
Centres - Sidebottom, Beams, Lumumba
H/Forwards - Goldsack, White, Adams
Forwards - Elliott, Cloke, Reid
Rucks - Grundy, Pendlebury, Swan
Int - Ball, Josh Thomas, Macaffer, Sub - One of (Blair,Dwyer,Young,Fas)

Looking at this 22 along with others

We seem to run deep in players around 15 to 22 bracket in terms of quality. Aslong as we dont get injuries to the likes of Pendles, Swan, Cloke, Reid & Grundy.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Pick your Round 1 team for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back