Just for fun then:

B: Fasolo Keeffe Toovey
HB: Oxley Brown O'Brien
C: Sidebottom Ball Adams
HF: Pendlebury Cloke Swan
F: Blair Reid White
R: Grundy Beams Williams

Elliott, McCaffer, Dwyer / Broomhead, Martin / Thomas

Witts, Frost, Maxwell, Kennedy, Clark, Paine, Young, Lynch, Hudson, Sinclair, Ramsey, Seedsman, Mooney
This thread is not for your enjoyment.
This is a serious, no nonsense thread that will forge the way for a premiership tilt next season.
I expect that the entire football department at Collingwood will be sifting through our posts & debating them endlessly into the night.
New culture at Collingwood...no more fun !

Noticed not many posters have have T. Broomhead in contention.

How has he progressed this year and do you think he'll get many games up his sleeve next year?

Noticed not many posters have have T. Broomhead in contention.

How has he progressed this year and do you think he'll get many games up his sleeve next year?
Missed 1st half of season with glandular fever. Lacked fitness, played some good games in the VFL.
Should debut next season with a good pre season & better fitness.
Not included in posters teams, because most haven't seen him play as yet.
If he starts off strongly then a chance to debut early 2014.

I'm assuming Tooves still on his way back and what I think our trades will be:

What I think
B: Maxwell - Brown - Williams
HB: Goldsack - Reid - O'Brien
C: Young - Ball - Sidebottom
HF: Beams - White - Macaffer
F: Elliott - Cloke - Lynch
Foll: Grundy - Pendlebury - Swan
Int: Blair - Thomas - Dwyer - Adams

What I would like
B: Williams - Brown - Reid
HB: Broomhead - Keeffe - Sidebottom
C: O'Brien - Ball - Seedsman
HF: Beams - Cloke - White
F: Elliott - Paine - Fasolo
Foll: Grundy - Pendlebury - Swan
Inter: Thomas - Adams - Macaffer - Young

Changes to the sides:
OUT: Maxwell (unlikely), Goldsack, Blair, Dwyer, Lynch
IN: Broomhead, Paine, Keeffe, Seedsman, Fasolo

Article a few weeks back noted Broomhead would be trialled at half back and I think we should go with it Round 1. Gut feel is we will persist with Maxwell.

We seemed to want to play Cloke at FF this year due to his contested marking but I think it affected our ball movement as we were predictable in going to Cloke, sides would double team Cloke and we would then go slow and then bomb it anyway. I think Trav is better playing at CHF, about 30 out, and running his opponent into the ground. Would free up space inside 50 and Trav loves to play on after a mark and get it in long.

I would love for Paine to come on and be that FF we need. Paine can mark, kicks goals consistently at VFL level and just needs to work on a few things over summer and get an opportunity. White can then play as the third tall and ruck when Grundy needs a spell. Paine coming in also allows Reid to go back to defence and play the Maxwell role. We then have the option to throw him forward at times Harry Taylor style. Lynch drops out with Paine coming in.

Fasolo comes in for Blair with the instructions that not only is he to get dangerous but his pressure needs to up - if not then Blair and Martin are waiting for his spot.

Seedsman preferred to Goldsack as he is more offensive and I think he can cover Goldsack's versatility. Basically I have preferred Keeffe and Seedsman to Goldsack and Dwyer with Reid to play the third backman role that Goldy played late. Seedsman goes more into the middle in Dwyer's spot but has that versatility to go back also which Dwyer doesn't.

Dwyer really unlucky as he had a great year but I see us getting improvement from the likes of Broomhead, Fasolo and Adams and that forces a Dwyer and Blair out. Ben Kennedy also unlucky and realistically the last 2 spots in my team come down to Macaffer, Young, Dwyer, Blair and Kennedy with tem all being interchangeable depending on opponent and conditions.

Dwyer really unlucky as he had a great year but I see us getting improvement from the likes of Broomhead, Fasolo and Adams and that forces a Dwyer and Blair out. Ben Kennedy also unlucky and realistically the last 2 spots in my team come down to Macaffer, Young, Dwyer, Blair and Kennedy with tem all being interchangeable depending on opponent and conditions.

Dwyer - see as a useful player for us again in 2014
Fasolo - not convinced he can take on more responsibility
Young - hope he can show and do more all year
Maxwell and Harry I want out of the team; no upside; dead weights holding back youth; no footy smarts

Maxwell and Harry I want out of the team; no upside; dead weights holding back youth; no footy smarts

I'm hoping with Fasolo that he has spent time with the coaches whilst injured and has a new found appreciation for the 1%ers - if not then he will quickly lose his spot to a Kennedy or Blair that will do the hard work. Elliott has shown that he can combine flair with hard work and if he needs any further motivation than Bucks should point at the now departed Didak and remind Fasolo that it can be over sooner than you think if you don't follow or embrace the game plan.

I'm pretty confident in Fasolo - think he is a smart kid and could be a good recruit for us next year. We could certainly do with his footskills.

The HBF is the spot up for grabs.

I think for now Young or Sidebottom work off the HBF...but the hope is that either Broomhead or Ramsey demand the spot over pre-season.

B: Reid, Brown, Toovey
HB: Williams, Keeffe, Young
C: O'Brien, Swan, Sidebottom
HF: Fasolo, White, Beams
F: Elliott, Cloke, Goldsack
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Ball

I: Adams, Blair, Macaffer, Sinclair

Depth Chart:

B: Yagmoor, Frost, Gault
HB: Ramsey, Maxwell, Oxley
C: Seedsman, Dwyer, Broomhead
HF: Mooney, Paine, Karnezis
F: Witts, Lynch, Marty Clarke
R: Hudson, Martin, J. Thomas

Big call with Sinclair in the starting team...but I reckon as a sub he can offer some run and tackling intensity off the bench. In terms of best 22, Josh Thomas probably comes in. Either he or Seedsman

Really strong looking 2nd's team there! And we still have Pick 10 and 11 to add!

Williams Brown Frost

Seedsman Reid Toovey

Obrien Beams Swan

Fasolo Cloke Dwyer

Kennedy White Elliot

Grundy Pendlebury Ball

Witts J. Thomas Goldsack Sidebottom

Possible additional trades in: Adams, Henderson

Emg: McCaffer, Oxley, Martin

Close: Blair, Toovey, Young

It's hard to choose not knowing who we'll be trading in or out, but choosing my team based on all the serious trade winds we've heard (Adams and White in particular, and losing Shaw) I'll pick my best 22.

B: M.Williams, N.Brown, H.O'Brien
HB: P.Seedsman, B.Reid, A.Toovey
C: S.Sidebottom, L.Ball, C.Young
HF: S.Dwyer, T.Cloke, D.Beams
F: A.Fasolo, J.White, J.Elliott
R: B.Grundy, D.Swan, S.Pendlebury
INT: T.Adams, J.Thomas, B.Macaffer
SUB: T.Goldsack

This was actually really tough to pick. I feel that Maxwell is not in our best 22, but I honestly couldn't see him not being picked. I don't follow the VFL that closely but I've heard good things about Paine, Broomhead and Oxley. I just can't find a spot for Lynch, Sinclair, Keeffe, Kennedy and Martin. Amazing depth if you ask me, hopefully we can use our draft picks to add to this and maybe even push for selection! Good signs ahead.

Now armed with pick 6 and 10, this would be ideal.

B: M.Williams - N.Brown - A.Toovey
HB: M.Scharenberg - L.Keefe - P.Seedsman
C: S.Sidebottom - L.Ball - H.O'Brien
HF: D.Beams - B.Reid - J.White
F: A.Fasolo - T.Cloke - J.Elliott
R: B.Grundy - S.Pendlebury - D.Swan

INT: T.Adams - C.Young - J.Thomas - B.Macaffer

DEPTH - M.Bontempelli - J.Blair - T.Broomhead - M.Clarke - S.Dwyer - J.Frost - T.Goldsack - B.Kennedy - Q.Lynch - K.Martin - A.Oxley - N.Maxwell - J.Witts

This team really excites me, its young, quite alot of depth.
Backline is probably our weakest point, but mids and forwards are extremely solid.

Williams and Seedsman will only improve and if Scharenberg slips to 6, he is a must.

2014 Best 22

B: Marley Williams - Nathan Brown - Alan Toovey
HB: Paul Seedsman - Lachlan Keefe - Harry O'Brien
C: Steele Sidebottom - D.Beams - Clinton Young
HF: T.Adams - Travis Cloke - Alex Fasolo
F: Jamie Elliott - Ben Reid - Jesse White
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Dane Swan
INT: Luke Ball - Brent Macaffer - Josh Thomas - Tyson Goldsack

DEPTH: Maxwell- Karnezis - Witts - Sinclair - Broomhead - Martin - Blair - Clarke - Frost - Kennedy - Lynch
Where is Sammy Dwyer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams Brown Keefe
Seedsman Reid Sidebottom
Young Swan OBrien
Fasolo White Beams
Elliot Cloke Lynch

Grundy Ball Pendlebury
Adams Thomas Blair Martin

Toovey will come back in when his ready

Dwyer and Macaffer are unlucky

Can not see a spot for Maxwell

Williams Brown Keefe
Seedsman Frost Sinclair
O'Brien Beams Young
Sidebottom Cloke Fasolo
Elliot Swan Reid
Grundy Ball Pendlebury
Witts Toovey Macaffer Blair

Depth: Maxwell, Goldsack, Dwyer, Martin, Lynch, White, Kennedy, Oxley, Hudson, Clarke, Adams, Paine

Harry is a gun he finished 5th in the BnF

Creates run and carries the pill something we lack

I'm bored at work so I'll give it a crack.

B: Toovey Brown Sinclair
HB: Williams Keeffe Young
C: O'Brien Pendlebury Seedsman
HF: Swan Cloke Sidebottom
F: Elliott Reid White
Foll: Grundy Ball Beams
Int: Fasolo Adams J.Thomas Macaffer

The emergence of Marley and Sinclair means that Toovey can play as the third tall defender where suitable (Darling, Gunston etc). Hopefully our two first rounders along with Kennedy, Broomhead, Ramsay and Oxley can really develop and put pressure on for spots. Blair and Goldsack will be regulars given injuries will happen. Having White as a second dangerous forward means Reid really can go back without leaving our forward line too one dimensional. It's a very young side that I have a lot of faith in going forward. .. next year might be tough though.

This team definitely highlights our need to draft a fast, skillful midfielder and a skilled medium sized defender with our first two picks.

I would expect the bloke we take at pick 6 to be pushing for a senior spot in rd 1. Depends on whether we take a bloke who is ready to go or a bloke who needs a bit more developing. Either way we should see a bit of picks 6 and 10 next season as well as Broomy and Ramsay. Exciting stuff!!

Bit rough i would have thought.
Kicked 28 goals in his second year as a high half forward.
Adds a little x factor and will only improve.
Yea, all that and for a pick 45, not sure if we can over rate him..love his energy

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Pick your Round 1 team for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back