Pickett gets two

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeller belly is it? Weren't you all having a go at Brendan Lade for suggesting pickett should've taken the one week penalty? Not much between the ears, you Power fans! :)

I am devastated. This is dead set victimisation based upon a "reputation" of "playing outside the rules" that simply isn't accurate. If he does decide to bow out, which will no doubt BREAK me, just tell em to shove it Choppy....................................

0,1658,382745,00.jpg

Sheeds said:
Yeah but Chocco does not make much sense when he is talking and will most likely get things mixed up. Nothing against him but I do not think he knows what he is saying half the time.

Perhaps someone from the managment can voice our concerns.

That's alright, i don't want a voice of balanced and careful reason, i want a verbal machine gun. It won't change anything anyway. In fact, it'd probably make it worse for us, but it'd be worth it.

Scrimes1234 said:
Bigot? LOL, better read my two posts again before you start trying to predictably play the race card! No bigotry whatsoever. I know plenty about football, for one, my team has more premierships than yours! ;)
What is it about you Victorians? As well as being the most backward, feral bunch of inbreds on the whole planet, your lack of mathematical skills is really appalling.
Get it through your thick heads, once and for all.
34 State league premierships > 9
1 National League premiership > 0
And 4 consecutive finals appearances > 1 in the last 23 years.

We know you lot are 100 years behind the rest of the country, but this is ridiculous.

Thats Power said:
If anyone tells me that burton deserved to get off with that bump on chris hyde where he completely forgot the ball and went for his head (he went for his head before that incident but missed him narrowly), and picketts bump derserved 2 weeks, then ********in go watch ballet. No ******** our sport is becoming a ********ing joke. :mad: :mad: :mad: Racist pigs, how many times will pickett be a victim??????

I totally agree with you, the tribunal is an absolute joke. Words can't express how ********ed off I am right now! Although I should of known, how could I have ever believed he might of got off. No not Pickett, NEVER!!
I remember that incident with Burton. To me that was worse then what Pickett did and he got off? It just proves how inconsistant the tribunal is ,they have ruined the game completely. They have got no clue!!!!

http://www.sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=69499

Port Adelaide believes Byron Pickett's latest suspension for rough conduct has 'serious implications for our game' after the Power's gamble to challenge a one-match ban from the match review panel backfired at the tribunal on Tuesday night.

Pickett could have accepted one week for his late bump on Carlton's Simon Wiggins at the MCG last Sunday by taking the early plea but by challenging the ban he risked a two-match penalty.

And that is exactly what he copped after the jury of Michael Sexton, Wayne Schimmelbusch and Stewart Loewe agreed with the match review panel's assessment of the incident being negligent, low impact, in play and with contact being made to the body.

That only equated to a 125-point or one-match offence but because of Pickett's prior record - which included a six-match suspension for another rough conduct charge on Adelaide's James Begley during the Wizard Cup - Pickett received 235 points or a two-match ban.

His latest suspension rules the reigning Norm Smith Medalist out of not only Saturday night's showdown with Adelaide but the following week's trip to Brisbane in what is a savage blow to Port's already slim finals hopes. However Port Adelaide has not ruled out an appeal after football operations manager Peter Rohde described the tribunal's decision as 'bitterly disappointing' after the hearing. "We really didn't think the hearing could have gone any better,' Rohde said. "Our defence did a fantastic job and the umpire agreed contact there was inevitable contact." "Byron slowed down and reduced the impact of it (the collision with Wiggins), we don't know what more he could have done." "I think it (the verdict) has got serious implications for our game." Rohde did not specify what those implications were but clearly was talking about the future of the bump, particularly in marking contests. Video evidence of the incident showed Wiggins with his eyes on the ball and running the same way as the ball before being met with a hip and shoulder by Pickett after marking. Pickett's advocate Paul Ehrlich described the case as 'important because of the reputation attached to Byron'. "Byron has learned from his earlier transgressions," Ehrlich told the hearing. Ehrlich said contact between Pickett and Wiggins was inevitable and Pickett had done his best to minimise the contact, pointing to the fact he had been given the lowest classification in each category by the match review panel. "It was a glancing blow, not a forceful blow," he said, saying video evidence of the incident showed Pickett slowing down just prior to the collision."If he really wanted to lay him (Wiggins) out, he would have been accelerating (before the clash) not decelerating."

Pickett himself admitted 'the impact was a lot less than what could have occurred'. Tribunal chairman David Jones advised the jury prior to their deliberations 'not to decide this case based on any reputation the player might have'.

However after a 15-minute deliberation the jury agreed with the match review panel's assessment of the incident and imposed a two-match ban with another 35 points to be carried onto his future record meaning that Pickett is now facing a 60 percent increase in his total number of points if he commits another offence given he has already served a one-match and six-match ban in the past three years.

The bold text is what really annoys me.

As I said in the other thread, now is the time for Port to draw the line in the sand and take this to the absolute nth degree. Legal action if necessary.
If we let the A(read: V )FL get away with this blatant act of victimisation, we are setting a very dangerous precedent.
Time for a radical act of defiance IMO. Byron should line up in the side anyway on Saturday, and we should wear our Prison Bars. And we should immediately take whatever action is necessary to bring an immediate end to our revenue and profits going into the AFL Consolidated Balance Fund and thus supporting parasite Victorian clubs like North Melbourne and Footscray. We should immediately withdraw all support for AFL schemes and boycott all official functions.
I would even go as far as to immediately withdraw from the competition altogether.

TheRiseOf Perry Barr said:
As I said in the other thread, now is the time for Port to draw the line in the sand and take this to the absolute nth degree. Legal action if necessary.
If we let the A(read: V )FL get away with this blatant act of victimisation, we are setting a very dangerous precedent.
Time for a radical act of defiance IMO. Byron should line up in the side anyway on Saturday, and we should wear our Prison Bars. And we should immediately take whatever action is necessary to bring an immediate end to our revenue and profits going into the AFL Consolidated Balance Fund and thus supporting parasite Victorian clubs like North Melbourne and Footscray. We should immediately withdraw all support for AFL schemes and boycott all official functions.
I would even go as far as to immediately withdraw from the competition altogether.

Why withdraw? If we did all that, we'd be kicked out anyway, and it'd be a lot funner.

Any person with any understanding of football should be amazed at the tribunal's decision. Pickett has done some stupid things in his career but this wasn't one of them. I saw a Melbourne bloke poke out his elbow at Skipworth, who was trying to shepherd, last weekend, and nothing happened to him. And then Pickett virtually pulls out of a contest - he could have killed Wiggins - and still gets banned. Joke.

I cant f###ing believe this, this whole f###ing thing smacks of racism Choppy has been victomised once again, time for some retribution, starting Saturday night. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dont make it a race issue. Thats a copout in my opinion. Race doesnt come into it. Byrons reputation does however. Had it been another player then a report may not have even been laid.

Its dissapointing the inconsistency tho. All bloody year. Byron gets 6, 4-5 other incidents either get 2 matches or nothing. Brogan gets 3 matches with no video....Tarrant gets one. And now this.

I cant believe they can come to the conclusion that this was worth two weeks whereas guys like Burton and Miller have gotten off for what in reality was much worse incidents. Even Chris Grant earlier in the year...launched himself at someones back, put him in hospital...no report. Wiggins gets immediately back up and its two weeks.

Very dissapointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exhaust the AFL appeals process. Then take it to court and plead denial of natural justice, where all the similar incidents which have been overlooked can be presented legally as evidence. Meanwhile get an injunction to allow him to play.

But I bet if the AFL knew we were prepared to go that far they would back down at the appeal stage because their biased, inconsistent system would be exposed.

Fair enough Macca, I must admit I'm not thinking very rationally right now, but put it this way, if it was anybody other than Byron, would he even have been sited?

It's handy, this new point system. The officials can make unfair and perculiar rulings then point to the points tally and say 'hey, there's no subjective thought here, look at them there numbers!'

Blind Fred said:
Any person with any understanding of football should be amazed at the tribunal's decision. Pickett has done some stupid things in his career but this wasn't one of them. I saw a Melbourne bloke poke out his elbow at Skipworth, who was trying to shepherd, last weekend, and nothing happened to him. And then Pickett virtually pulls out of a contest - he could have killed Wiggins - and still gets banned. Joke.

Yeah, funny, they're actually very similar. They both question the 'negligence' of a reflex action. Whereas Byron had about a quarter of a second to react, how long did Furguson have? And which contact was more dangerous?

Fleh

TheRiseOf Perry Barr said:
What is it about you Victorians? As well as being the most backward, feral bunch of inbreds on the whole planet, your lack of mathematical skills is really appalling.
Get it through your thick heads, once and for all.
34 State league premierships > 9
1 National League premiership > 0
And 4 consecutive finals appearances > 1 in the last 23 years.

We know you lot are 100 years behind the rest of the country, but this is ridiculous.

This will start a onslaught of arguing BUT

34 SANFL premierships is not the equal nor is it better than 9 premierships won in the league that Port have now joined. Port Adelaide about 15-20 years ago began to plan about moving on to bigger and better things (the VFL/AFL) what does that tell you about the actual value of the SANFL and the premierships won in it if Port had been waiting for 15-20 years the first train out of the competiton. When Port joined the AFL they knew that it was going to a be a re-birth of the Port Adelaide football club and that they had to close the page on their SANFL history and turn a new page. The only premierships and stats that honestly have any credence at all against VFL/AFL teams is post 1997 when Port joined. What is next?? will the Port fans claim that the record books should be rewritten and have Scott Hodges replace Peter Hudson and Bob Pratt as the highest goal kicker in a season ????

The SANFL means nothing outside of SA, face it and it was never the equivallent of the VFL/AFL except maybe arguably in the 60s and before, but even then that point would be very debatable, but unquestionably the VFL has been a far superior league over the past 35 years or so. The SANFL bragging rights are a non issue outside of SA and I really dont understand why Port supporters would de-value its finest hour and greatest ever achievement by lumping in with their hokey SANFL premierships.

Secondly the AFL and VFL are the same thing !!!!!!! Just because it is now referred to as the AFL doesnt mean it is a different league !!!!!!! Does that mean if another team joined the SANFL and they changed the name of the league that it would mean that all the past premierships won wouldnt mean anything or that it wouldnt be the same league ????? Brisbane and West Coast joined when it was the VFL and it was only changed to the AFL in an effort to get the SANFL to join the competition. So your argument about National premierships doesnt mean jack, it was more or less a national competition before they changed the name South Australia is the only new state that has joined since the name change.

The rest of the points are valid and yes all Richmond fans have is the past to dwell on at this current point. Whether plough eventually changes this is another story.

relapse said:
their hokey SANFL premierships.

Congratulations, you've just stereotyped the Crows supporter base in one.
No idea of history, the state did'nt start playing the game until 1991 according to a large percentage of your lot.

There was'nt anything ''hokey'' about any SANFL premiership won between the late 1800's and 1991,they were all won at the EQUAL HIGHEST LEVEL of the competition at the time. The SANFL may not have been the STRONGEST league the majority of those years but it was still an equal in class & stature.

How do you think the Adelaide FC were competitive in their formation years when the guts of their players came straight from the SANFL comp ?

Apologies to the forum taking the bait & steering away from the origins of the topic.

missionpossible said:
well I now know that we wont be going to the game on Saturday, this is perthetic.

And I will not be giving my tickets to anyone.

You have to go Mission........we have to be there more than ever now. God if I had a spare $500 I would be on the plane out of here on Friday!!!

I want to hear so much Booing and abuse to the umpires and the crows - I want to see us get the boys over the line!!

Black and white everywhere and Choppy banners and AFL ********ing sucks banners though out the crowd!!

I said in Round 1 to John James, that the tribunal will end someone's career - I think I was right - I dont think we will ever see Choppy - "be choppy again" and what a ********ed up state of affairs our game has become!!!

Hollypig said:
Congratulations, you've just stereotyped the Crows supporter base in one.
No idea of history, the state did'nt start playing the game until 1991 according to a large percentage of your lot.

There was'nt anything ''hokey'' about any SANFL premiership won between the late 1800's and 1991,they were all won at the EQUAL HIGHEST LEVEL of the competition at the time. The SANFL may not have been the STRONGEST league the majority of those years but it was still an equal in class & stature.

How do you think the Adelaide FC were competitive in their formation years when the guts of their players came straight from the SANFL comp ?

Apologies to the forum taking the bait & steering away from the origins of the topic.

Well said Hollypig. It's no wonder the crows chose a yellow state guernsey seeing as some of their supporters are all too willing to ******** all over the SANFL as a competition. Proud of your club's heritage, hey relapse?

Oh and the VFL is no more the AFL as dinosaurs are birds or monkeys are men. It's called evolution - I guess they didn't teach that at the catholic private school you went to. Richmond have not won an AFL premiership, so their state league flags are no more important than ours.

PortProudWA said:
You have to go Mission........we have to be there more than ever now. God if I had a spare $500 I would be on the plane out of here on Friday!!!

I want to hear so much Booing and abuse to the umpires and the crows - I want to see us get the boys over the line!!

Black and white everywhere and Choppy banners and AFL ********ing sucks banners though out the crowd!!

I said in Round 1 to John James, that the tribunal will end someone's career - I think I was right - I dont think we will ever see Choppy - "be choppy again" and what a ********ed up state of affairs our game has become!!!

Spot on - it's time for all good supporters to come to the aid of the Club.

As for the Choppy decision - It is incorrect on the evidence IMO - the Club should appeal given the umpires evidence was so clear - and you're right re: impact on his career, I hope he gets through this.

And while there isn't enough evidence yet this does smell of racial villification to me - it's not 'cos he's black, it's because he is a black & dares beat white players in the tough stuff that the whites think is their domain, a black person who puts white people on their arse. The treatment of Choppy this season leaves the AFL Trib open to the accusation as Choppy has not been dealt with on an equal footing with other players who happen to be white. We can argue our opinions but that is my perception & at this stage I beleive it is valid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett gets two

Remove this Banner Ad

Back