Pickett to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Roombas

Draftee
Sep 29, 2005
Other Teams
Collingwood
Just heard on SEN that Pickett is going to Collingwood.
I would be going after Richards from Essendon for Cole
Hay from Hawthorn for Lonie and pick 21

I just heard the same thing from a friend. Apparently they were talking about it on SEN. How true it is i dont know.

Don't think im to keen on any deal invovling pickett, he aint exactly young.

pickett meets pie board

B Pickett is set to become a pie. The deal involves Cole- essondon, Pickett - Collingwood and Port to get pick 23.

Roombas said:
I heard SEN and they said Collingwood and Port are in talks. That's a long way from Pickett getting to Collingwood.

Roombas said:
The stumbling block there is Hawthorn.They won't release him unless they get 2 1st rnd picks or equivalent.Why you would want Richards I don't know.A good seconds player.And I think if Pickett can't see terms with PA or get to Kangaroos he will probably retire.

why the hell would we want pickett unless we are going to be trading off some dead wood to get him

please dont use a pick to get him to collingwood

Yeah cant see why we would want Pickett or Ted Richards, Pickett may have 1 good year left in him at best and living in Adelaide i saw him play a fair amount and im not to sure where he would fit into our side as the spot he would take id rather see a young kid have.

I would not be over the moon with pick #23 for Cole as he is a better player than that, but i think that is all he is worth at the moment.

Cant see Collingwood landing anyone big in the next week and i hope they dont just try to get Byron cause he is available.

Re: pickett meets pie board

MarkT said:
I'd swap Pickett for Cole.
Why?

We gunna win a flag this year or next?

Pick 23's a good pick. There will be some relatively good mids still around at those picks.

Sell your soul for instant gratification. eg. trading down pick 23ish for 44 and on trading that for Steinfort. Those two picks netted Richard Hadley and Josh Hunt!

Don't trade for physically (or ability) limited players. Pickett hasn't got much left in the tank. Next to nothing in fact!

What do we need? We are slow, soft and we lack flair. Pickett is a premiership player and Norm Smith Medalist. He helps fill a few needs for us. He'll improve the midfield as rotation that carries the ball in a straight line. At 28 he has a few years left in him. Pick 23 is a lottery and we already have pick 21. I'd hope we could also trade 37 and 53 into better picks with the likes of Woewodin and co.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MarkT said:
Pick 23 is a lottery and we already have pick 21.
Pick 23 is a lottery, yet pick 21 isn't?

Do you just play one line on a poker machine??

Four top 30 picks is a good thing. Risk minimisation and with the future considered first and foremost!

Oh, and isn't Pickett uncontracted? If so, the PSD might be an option if we absolutely have to go down that path.

History is full of players traded at 28 who won flags or gave great service. Pike springs immediately to mind.

If we fix the ruck and get 2 quick skilled midfielders we are a top 4 contender. This is the age of equalisation. Did anyone see what Sydney won the flag with?

Older players carry risk for sure. I would still take Pickett for Cole, Lappin in the PSD or for a late pick if there is talent in the PSD and I'd trade for Gardiner. Draft 2 midfielders and have a serious crack in the next 2 years while have Buckley, Burns and Wakelin and while Clement and Rocca are still young enough. It isn't possible for us to fill existing holes plus replace those players via the draft by the time they go. It simply cannot happen. We have to have an all out crack now and if we fail we will have a couple of years to accumulate draft talent.

What is the alternative? A few years of mid table mediocrity? It’s not like we have boom squad of 18 to 20 years olds that will fill the coming void.

MarkT said:
What is the alternative? A few years of mid table mediocrity? It’s not like we have boom squad of 18 to 20 years olds that will fill the coming void.

How do you expect to build a boom squad of 18-20 year olds if you keep recruiting 28 year olds? What did Woewodin Morrison Caracella and others achieve for us?

We are years from having a serious crack. Short term We have just as much chance lucking out on a flag (if not more) with a fresh faced teenager as we have with Byron Pickett.

FIGJAM said:
Pick 23 is a lottery, yet pick 21 isn't?

Do you just play one line on a poker machine??

Four top 30 picks is a good thing. Risk minimisation and with the future considered first and foremost!

Oh, and isn't Pickett uncontracted? If so, the PSD might be an option if we absolutely have to go down that path.
No they both are. What I am saying is we already have a ticket.

I don’t play pokies because they are a rigged game completely devoid of skill or interest. I play cards because my chances are a bit better and I can have some influence over the outcome. I don’t but lotto tickets. Did you know that if Jesus bought a ticket every week he still wouldn’t have won yet. Moses would have had a win.

I’d be more than happy with Pickett in the PSD but we won’t get him there. Other clubs will do a deal and if not why wouldn’t Carlton and Pagan, his ex coach, snap him up?

hotpie said:
How do you expect to build a boom squad of 18-20 year olds if you keep recruiting 28 year olds?
At this point I don’t. As it stands now it won’t be possible. We will be caught in no mans land. We have 2 choices as far as I’m concerned. Trade and retire all the quality over 27 and sit at the bottom for a few years or have a crack before we take our turn at the bottom. The problem with either theory is that the priority picks will either go or be harder to get and won’t be able to be backed up in consecutive years I would suspect.

MarkT said:
At this point I don’t. As it stands now it won’t be possible. We will be caught in no mans land. We have 2 choices as far as I’m concerned. Trade and retire all the quality over 27 and sit at the bottom for a few years or have a crack before we take our turn at the bottom. The problem with either theory is that the priority picks will either go or be harder to get and won’t be able to be backed up in consecutive years I would suspect.

Its a no brainer. We're taking our turn at the bottom now, and the only way to build is to continue to do what we did last season. Drafting the best available youngsters, and topping up with depth quality 28 year olds only if you gat get them for free like we did last year. We should not give away a top 20 pick for another 28 year old with an attitude problem.

Hotpie, if it was a no brainer then premier after premier would have gone that route but not one has. It doesn’t allow you to get a balanced s quad and in any case it takes so long you develop other needs through ageing. The elimination or alteration of the priority picks will also change things.

As the completely unauthorised Port trade approval executive management executive vice president of vice presidents, I hereby approve the deal of Pickett for #23. Thank you for your time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back