Picks for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Boak won't be, if he was at a decent club then he'd already be considered top 10 DT material, same with Dusty Martin/A. Swallow.

Ward will be an interesting one. Certainly capable of scoring, but at a new club surrounded by -21 yo's... Much like GAJ this year.

Barlow will probably be one of the most common picks, Hayes slightly less but still not rare.

Chappy and Scotland will come down from premium status, but I think that the risk on Bartel is worth it, especially at his price.

Shuey/Gaff will be really interesting. Could both have a breakout year, but Gaff seems to wear the vest half the time!

I think some other guys who weren't quite premiums this year but could be next year are ;

Stefan Martin. Decently priced with great JS. Should get his average up as Melbourne do. Expect him to average over 85+ and atleast be a good cash cow.

Drew Petrie. More a forward than a ruck, but hey, the DP can only help, right?

Brent Moloney. Easily in our best 22. Look for him to average 100+ if he and Jamar have a full season.

Alan Didak. Yes, I know many of us said never again. But he's a bargain and if he can continue his recent form with a great preseason then you won't be able to go past him.

Just on a few of these,

I agree on Boak. Even if he starts the season off flying with big scores it's pretty likely to dry up once he starts copping the hard tag. Plus doesn't get enough of the easy ball. Needs more help. Martin i think is in a different boat though. Could be a big scorer and i expect him to get forward/mid DPP.

Gaff only wore the vest so often to manage his first season. Will be easy best 21 next year and should score really well. Over the next few years he will be a DT star. Shuey is probably more risky though. He plays a good DT style and can pop up with 30 possies and 3 or 4 goals but i believe he will cop a tag for most of the year. Depends on Kerr i guess.

Agree on Didak as well. A full pre season and he will be back to his DT best.

TBH I doubt his preseason will be limited if he has the ability to get up for a prelim... They get a month off and his battle wounds should heal up by then

I think everyone will have pick number 1 Jon Patton..he will be about 150k in the forward line ..

same with Coligno (sp?) he will be this years swallow. I think everyone will pick him as their 6th mid or 1st bench.

May only score 50-70 each week but worthy of a bench spot i reckon. GWS will need him to play at least 15-20 games.

Stratton might be cheap as a 7th defensman. Maybe Nathan Brown.

If Macintosh gets traded and gets a number 1 ruck role, he will definately be in my team..

Jarrod Waite will be an interesting one. Only played 5 games didnt he? always a concern as he's a bit fragile but he is a great scorer when he does..

I think everyone will have pick number 1 Jon Patton..he will be about 150k in the forward line ..

same with Coligno (sp?) he will be this years swallow. I think everyone will pick him as their 6th mid or 1st bench.

May only score 50-70 each week but worthy of a bench spot i reckon. GWS will need him to play at least 15-20 games.

Stratton might be cheap as a 7th defensman. Maybe Nathan Brown.

If Macintosh gets traded and gets a number 1 ruck role, he will definately be in my team..

Jarrod Waite will be an interesting one. Only played 5 games didnt he? always a concern as he's a bit fragile but he is a great scorer when he does..

Not so sure on Patton. Look at Sam Day for GC - top 3 pick as a KPF, barely played, and definitely didn't score well. Will probably look for value elsewhere.

Stratton played 4 games, so will get a discount.

McIntosh will definitely get a game for me if he ends up somewhere else.

Waite I'd steer clear from. Seriously injury prone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James McDonald (GWS) is a lock now. Should be base price.

Doubt it. Has only spent a year out of the game, so will be priced on his 09 average, with a heavy discount. Need only look at Cousins pricing when he started with Richmond for reference.

Steve Clifton from GWS. Former VFL gun who is a mature age midfielder. Will get a game every week and dirt cheap.

Didnt we say the same about Daniel Harris. No guarantee but must be considered.

Even if James McDonald cost nothing, I still wouldn't pick him. 35 year old. Pass.

Will be interesting if the guns/rookie approach is the go in a draft which is considered weak and quite a few of the top midfield type prospects are still very fragile looking and need a bit of muscle.

James Macdonald purely depends on price, but he should go under the same category as Cousins and IIRC he got about 20% discount. So that prices him at 76 ~ 320k, so thats a no from me.

An easy way to change the strategy this year would be for VS to put the rookie prices up even further meaning you need to pick more midpricers or pay the true dollar for a Coniglio type. Swallow was ~160k, i would like to see Coniglio at 200k~, some would still pick him at that price, but many would pass.

Everyone should be seriously looking at players from the 2008 draft who offer some good value.

Next year will see a few of those boys really push a case for 'elite' status.

In terms of Rookie picks, I've had a look at most projected in the top 30, and come up with a list of 9 or 10 that I think could be viable options.

Obviously not set in stone as its early days yet, but trying to get a read on who will go where and who will be worth looking into for a rookie spot in 2012.

Some hyped players not suitable for DT:
Jonathon Patton
Chad Wingard
Hayden Crozier

My top 9 so far:
Dom Tyson
Will Hoskin-Elliot
Billy Longer
Toby Greene
Stephen Coniglio
Tom Mitchell
Brody Mihocek