Picks for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

The question is whether the extra $$$ you'll have to pay for Tyson/Coniglio is worth it instead of going Shiel and Treloar.

This situation differs from the Gold Coast where early in the pre season (This situation changed quickly after a few pre season games) it was talked about going guys like Lock/Weller over Swallow. However we knew back then that Lock/Weller weren't at the pointy end of the draft if eligible (Unlike Shiel/Treloar. Shiel would be a Top 3 pick this year and Treloar pushing Top 5). Not to mention the likely hike in prices all round + a likely higher premium on these high picks. Last year we were looking at a difference of around 60K between the high pick and the kids who had already been at the Gold Coast a year, but for that extra 60K, you got a whole lot more points. This year though, Shiel and Treloar could easily outscore Tyson, Coniglio, and going of Fanplanner, they'd be ALOT cheaper (70-100K)

The question is whether the extra $$$ you'll have to pay for Tyson/Coniglio is worth it instead of going Shiel and Treloar.

This situation differs from the Gold Coast where early in the pre season (This situation changed quickly after a few pre season games) it was talked about going guys like Lock/Weller over Swallow. However we knew back then that Lock/Weller weren't at the pointy end of the draft if eligible (Unlike Shiel/Treloar. Shiel would be a Top 3 pick this year and Treloar pushing Top 5). Not to mention the likely hike in prices all round + a likely higher premium on these high picks. Last year we were looking at a difference of around 60K between the high pick and the kids who had already been at the Gold Coast a year, but for that extra 60K, you got a whole lot more points. This year though, Shiel and Treloar could easily outscore Tyson, Coniglio, and going of Fanplanner, they'd be ALOT cheaper (70-100K)

Nice summation. Seriously good info for me in that, thanks. :thumbsu:

I remember going away from Swallow and having Lock in there...until they played in the NAB and it became clear the place to save money was elsewhere.

This will be an interesting thign to watch for sure.

Can't say I considered him. Having a career average of 69.3 suggests that he won't be a premium, however should still be a decent cash cow.

If he does depart, I'll have to consider him. However with so many great midfielders already is there space for a risky unique there?

He won't be priced at 16 that's for sure!

He'll have a 20% discount on 2010 which was 69 so he'll be priced at 55ppg. Not really worth it considering he isn't a big ball winner.

The Porpoise would be a great pick up at a discounted price but has serious issues with his shoulders. 2010 and 2011 had to have shoulder reconstructions and the question remains can he possibly get through a season without further shoulder problems?

The Porpoise would be a great pick up at a discounted price but has serious issues with his shoulders. 2010 and 2011 had to have shoulder reconstructions and the question remains can he possibly get through a season without further shoulder problems?

I think he'll have a greater chance of getting through the season next year than he did in the Craig era. Same goes for many of our older players (eg. Knights) , who I believe were a little mismanaged in the last few years.

I think he'll have a greater chance of getting through the season next year than he did in the Craig era. Same goes for many of our older players (eg. Knights) , who I believe were a little mismanaged in the last few years.
Unfortantly I don't believe you can point the finger at Craig for Porps injuries whereas you may have a case to argue with someone like Knights who has suffered soft tissue injuries from an overload at training/pushing it too hard.

Porps has just had terrible luck and with any luck, that can turn next year...

Steven Morris will be a buzz name for the next 5 months.

I looked at Morris' stats for 2011 from the SANFL website, plugged them into excel and the following came out:
DT avg = 67.8 from 18 games (missed 2 games)
Highest DT score = 101, Lowest DT score = 34
4 games of 80+ DT points, 4 games of 50 DT points or less
Standard deviation = 18.9
Kicks per game = 11
H/B per game = 8.7
Marks per game = 3.3
Tackles per game = 1.9
2 goals in 18 games
Disposal efficiency (over 14 games to round 18) = 83.2%

Hopefully he can reproduce them in 2012 for Richmond. If so, he could find his way onto a lot of back benches.

I looked at Morris' stats for 2011 from the SANFL website, plugged them into excel and the following came out:
Kicks per game = 11
H/B per game = 8.7
Marks per game = 3.3
Tackles per game = 1.9
2 goals in 18 games

Hopefully he can reproduce them in 2012 for Richmond. If so, he could find his way onto a lot of back benches.

Bit worried about him avg 20 posses a game when he is only avg 67 DT points. Doesnt look like a dream teamer but will be bottom price and mature aged so one of those players that you need to seriously look at, also playing for Richmond, anyone that wants a game goes to them.

You make a good point there, keystone. He gets plenty of the footy, but didn't seem to do much else stats-wise. He may not end up being a budget-priced keeper like Stanley, but there is potential for him to make a fair bit of coin if he can get close to his SANFL average. On that basis, I agree that he is worth considering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicks per game = 11
H/B per game = 8.7
Marks per game = 3.3
Tackles per game = 1.9
2 goals in 18 games

Not great, but will be base price. Will most likely get games at Richmonds and will make you cash. Crouch and O'Meara are absolute locks for 2013.

This guy is a serious gun, he just has to look at the ball and it lands in his hands.

Yep totally agree, absolute lock if his body is alright and he gets through preseaon. Was easily the best WA player of his age group the year before, thats saying something considering Conglio.

Racks up 40+ games and is a ball magnet, but i guess so was Craig Bird.

Mitch Morton could be an interesting option, depending on what Sydney do with him. Was averaging 70-75 before this year's poor display.

If you like a risk and don't mind mid-pricers, Brad Ebert could be a good value option. He's a magnet when played in the midfield, and at Port his scores are far less likely to be affected by subs or playing out of the midfield.

If you like a risk and don't mind mid-pricers, Brad Ebert could be a good value option. He's a magnet when played in the midfield, and at Port his scores are far less likely to be affected by subs or playing out of the midfield.
And with his foot skills, can't see him getting the tag anytime soon either!

Depending on his positioning, Hartlett could be another very good option (if he can stay on the field that is).

also playing for Richmond, anyone that wants a game goes to them.

Firstly Ports list is diabolical so thats a irrational comment especially as Port love taking our unrequired players e.g. Shutlz and Rodan.

Second Port were desperate to get Morris and would of picked him up in the second round hence we dealed with GWS so STFU

Having said that i think Morris will get games so it can allow Lids and/or Houli to push further up the field.

Second Port were desperate to get Morris and would of picked him up in the second round hence we dealed with GWS so STFU

For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain that Port we're offered a deal for Morris (I think it was 49 + Morris for 51 +Chad/Dean) early in the week and declined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back