Pies' list facing big cuts

Remove this Banner Ad

might i add that this is just the age thats reporting this, until the club releases a statement saying that these blokes are gone then it all remains to be seen

That being considered, theyre all still on our list and can all still be traded if thats what they and the club see is best

On Blight, i thought he showed a fair bit to suggest he could be a better than average player at AFL level. I guess however if he does want to leave or the club delists him for some reason, we do tend to have a fair bit of depth in that position of a running half back such as Tom Young.

I always thought Barham was pretty good overall. He had some amazing pace and a great tackling ability. I thought he really improved this season and i hope he can find a new home if delisted.

If that article is correct on face value it seems a very strange decision. There must be something more to the story. When I read it I thought it must have been a mistake as it didn't make any sense whatsoever to me. A stab in the dark may be that he has decided that his heart just isn't in footy?

It's funny too that the article says that our priority is to keep the list together yet we look like having a very heavy turnover of players this year. That may be a blessing in disguise.

If we keep the bulk of our 22 together and enough depth (thinking of a squad of 31 ala the finals series here) we have the chance to continue building our list. We get the opportunity to promote some of our rookies but also draft more heavily than you would have expected. This isn't a bad thing given Hines drafting history with late/rookie types. We may actually end up with a refeshed list.

Surprised with the Blight delisting, maybe the homesick rumours were true and the club didn't want to bother trying to trade with WC/Freo...

Blight!? Geez that hurts. I thought the number of delisting retirements was going to be around 8 but 12, that seems like a little too much. How are we going to replace all these players with the compromised drafts over the next few years?

Yeah, I have to say turning over @ a quarter of the list is strange. Blight particularly. Does this mean we expect to get a few recycleds with late picks, either from the state feeder comps or your journeyman types? I'd have thought maybe Hale, but reckon there is a bit of interest in his services.

I'm suspecting on those numbers a bunch of rookie elevations - Blair, Young, Keeffe, Reed, maybe McNamara? Possibly a Marty Clarke, maybe a Hale or similar. Three picks in the national draft.

you can still trade him. Plenty of players get traded that are going to be delisted. Trade for a late pick. Similar to Corrie the other year.
Seems strange however. I've got a feeling if he's been delisted it means his heart is not in it and he's not really interested in being an afl player. Always seemed to be a bit of a different cat, not everyone wants to play afl like us. Some just aren't really interested no matter how much talent they have.

Saints enquired into Blight last year and there is surely interest in WA. On that basis, I reckon if this story is accurate, your explanation is the most likely.

Can someone tell me what the max number of pick-ups through the ND is? Must expect to get a few through the rookie and PSD?

Pretty sure you can pick up as many as you like in the ND, in fact you have to until you meet your list requirements I think. Most clubs just choose not to because they feel it is worth staying with a dud they have rather then using pick 87-107

Given the way the list has been managed in recent years I have faith that if we've delisted Blight it's with very good reason - the others (Cook, Corrie & Barham) were goners anyway.

You'd assume Blair, Young and possibly Keefe will also all be elevated.

From what I've been reading (not fitting into the team/aloof character) - which, granted, could also be speculative statements - it doesn't seem so weird that he was wandering around the concourse by himself after the final siren.

so who are our veterans going to be next year? is anyone other than presti eligble? tarrant?

Presti and Lockyer were our veteran listed players this year. Johnson and Davis are bothe eligible next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this is a big reel to be casting, but hypothetically if the 2 players involved in today's story end up being delisted... Will need a lot of improvement from the young guys like J.Thomas, Rounds, etc. and to keep depth players like Anthony.

No chance of being delisted...Something really serious would have to arise and it would of been tough in a nightclub for that to happen.

I hope the club sticks by its motto of Side by Side on and OFF the field. I know the players may of stuffed up, but they need support in a time like this. If it is extremely serious then you can consider harsh punishments

i have a weird feeling about this

as we all know collingwood seem to have delisted a few players straight away, a couple of player retired, anthony and fraser more then likely gone! could collingwood be making a play for a big name player?

Re: i have a weird feeling about this

as we all know collingwood seem to have delisted a few players straight away, a couple of player retired, anthony and fraser more then likely gone! could collingwood be making a play for a big name player?

Could be for Cloke New Contract and Chris Tarrant.

Those the Pies themselves have not made any announcments

im starting to worry about travis hes uncontracted and its trade week?

I think it's reasonable to assume that;
a) we believe a good number of our rookies (Blair, Reed, Hunter, Keeffe) and also Young are worthy of senior list spots
b) we plan to be at least somewhat active during trade week in bringing players to the club, and
c) we rate the depth of the coming draft.

Surprised by Blight's delisting if indeed that's the case. He obviously has the talent, so one can only assume the application was lacking. Very disappointing because he has a lot of class when the ball is in his hands.

I strongly doubt that, we won the flag this year therefore I doubt anyone would want to trade with us.

Wow so your telling me the club has done its player interviews and culled its list a mere 24 hours after winning the Grand Final...

Don't believe it, it is not fact, it is 'inside word'/educated guess, which I don't really care for.

Untill Collingwood makes it offical then I don't believe it

I reckon Keefe, Blair, Hunter and Young are all a really good chance of going on the senior list next year.

Hopefully we get Marty Clarke back as well.

Blair and Keeffe are pretty much locks. The shock retirement and delisting of Medhurst and Blight I think we give Young, Hunter and Reed a spot on the senior list as their are not enough draft picks to cover departures.

There is currently 8 guaranteed departures:
Rusling, Medhurst, O'Bree, Corrie, Lockyer, Blight, Cook, Barham.

Two very strong possibilities to add to the list according to the rumours are Prestigiacomo and L.Brown.

We are also guaranteed to lose another player to Gold Coast either one of Fraser, Anthony or Cloke which bring the departures to a minimum of 10 possibly up to 12.

If 10 players leave I predict Blair, Keeffe, Young and Reed gets promoted which leave draft picks 1-4, gc compo and a psd pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies' list facing big cuts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back