Pies players lose confidence in Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this might sound like a dumb idea and it probably is (but dont shoot me down) but would it be a good idea to release Cloke from full forward and play him on a wing - just to freshen him up and get him to run around, get him to get his hands on the ball early. The mind is a strange thing and Cloke is out of form - but I reckon that is due to his confidence being low. Changing things up might make a difference. A happy mind means a happy footballer - a happy footballer means a better performance, better decision making etc etc.

I remember in 2008 when one of my favourite Richmond players Matthew Richardson was released from full forward to the wing. At the time I think Richo was slightly out of form (but not to the extent that Clokey is) and it did wonders to him and he played a bloody good year for Richmond and got third in the Brownlow Medal that year. By the way had Richo won the Brownlow - I would won $3000, bloody hell he got so close to winning it!

Does Cloke have the fitness/aerobic capacity to do a "Richo" type roll and is Cloke as quick as Richo or there abouts etc (you know what I mean). I mean he doesn't need to have an impact similar to what Richo did in 2008 but just something to change things up might be a good idea and then he can always float back to the forward line and kick goals. Which is what Richo did in 2008 - and kicked 48 goals.

Just my thoughts on Clokey. He's a good player but I reckon all Clokey needs is a "flick of the switch" to get him going again and then he won't look back.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Just where, pray tell, do you propose he play right "now"? The VFL side has (another) bye because of the state rep game...
Ah bugger. I guess he has to stay in then. Hopefully he can pounce on an average St Kilda, but I liked my first plan better.

What is up with the VFL? They have a bye every 2 weeks just about.

Ah bugger. I guess he has to stay in then. Hopefully he can pounce on an average St Kilda, but I liked my first plan better.

What is up with the VFL? They have a bye every 2 weeks just about.

In this case, that is literally what is happening!

It's all to do with the fact that the VFL has to schedule 2 byes for each team in a way that it allows clubs competing in the Foxtel Cup the weekend off to play in that tournament, a task made much more difficult by the fact that the comp has an even number of teams in it this year. On top of that, they also have to schedule around the state representative game. For us, that meant we got a bye, two games, then another bye.

In the plus column, at least we're not in the same boat as, say, Sandringham or Williamstown, who had a bye last week and have it this week as well! :eek:

Of course players have lost some confidence in Cloke, they are only human

When your full forward isn't taking marks or kicking goals isn't it bloody obvious you lose some confidence kicking it to him?

Of course players have lost some confidence in Cloke, they are only human

When your full forward isn't taking marks or kicking goals isn't it bloody obvious you lose some confidence kicking it to him?
I don't think the players have as short of a memory as most people do here.

I don't think the players have as short of a memory as most people do here.

When your forward isn't performing you lose confidence in him.

I don't see how you can even argue the opposite, it's just human nature. You have less confidence in someone who isn't performing as well as they have in the past. Why am I even explaining how confidence works :drunk:

I don't see how you can even argue the opposite, it's just human nature. You have less confidence in someone who isn't performing as well as they have in the past. Why am I even explaining how confidence works :drunk:
Oh right, I forgot.

This is supposed to be another one of your opinion is fact, "so obvious", "why am I explaining", ":drunk:", posts.

Carry on as you always do.

No you go to him based on his talent and ability - the players would know each others strengths and weaknesses very well. And I don't think they are swayed by form anywhere near as much as what people on bigfooty would like to think... in fact I think effort shown is a hell of a lot more important.

I would relate your argument to a great 3-point shooter in basketball... Even if he has shot 0/7 for the game, or is in bad form, at the end of a close game, the coach would still put him on the floor, and the players will still look for him - because they know where his abilities are, and that the so-called form could turn around at any point, and if he is your best shooter, and he is in a good position - you get him the ball.

I know this might sound like a dumb idea and it probably is (but dont shoot me down) but would it be a good idea to release Cloke from full forward and play him on a wing - just to freshen him up and get him to run around, get him to get his hands on the ball early. The mind is a strange thing and Cloke is out of form - but I reckon that is due to his confidence being low. Changing things up might make a difference. A happy mind means a happy footballer - a happy footballer means a better performance, better decision making etc etc.

I remember in 2008 when one of my favourite Richmond players Matthew Richardson was released from full forward to the wing. At the time I think Richo was slightly out of form (but not to the extent that Clokey is) and it did wonders to him and he played a bloody good year for Richmond and got third in the Brownlow Medal that year. By the way had Richo won the Brownlow - I would won $3000, bloody hell he got so close to winning it!

Does Cloke have the fitness/aerobic capacity to do a "Richo" type roll and is Cloke as quick as Richo or there abouts etc (you know what I mean). I mean he doesn't need to have an impact similar to what Richo did in 2008 but just something to change things up might be a good idea and then he can always float back to the forward line and kick goals. Which is what Richo did in 2008 - and kicked 48 goals.

Just my thoughts on Clokey. He's a good player but I reckon all Clokey needs is a "flick of the switch" to get him going again and then he won't look back.

Cheers.

I think it is a good idea, but probably don't need to go as far as putting him on the wing - just put him at half forward and have him keep pushing up the ground. (which he started to do a bit of against the Eagles, for the first time all year).

Cheers.
Just give him a run in the ruck, he'll have the first chance to either tap it out or clear a kick forward from the bounce. Could be the making of his 2014 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many lols.

Firstly, what is with the rubbish thread title. Talk about poetic licence.

Then, do people seriously expect us to drop cloke with no Reid? So white and witts our key forwards?

I am at a loss to explain it all.
Cloke is providing nothing right now so drop nothing what do you lose?
We could play Karnezis forward sure he won't command balls on his head but he might actually lead out and take some marks and probably won't have the jitters in front of goals.
We might actually capitalise on forward 50 entrees.

Cloke is providing nothing right now so drop nothing what do you lose?
We could play Karnezis forward sure he won't command balls on his head but he might actually lead out and take some marks and probably won't have the jitters in front of goals.
We might actually capitalise on forward 50 entrees.

We lose our structure and every forward gets a better defender, and we lose Cloke who sooner or later will dominate a game.

Structure is over rated if the bloke who is holding the main forward spot is kicking 1 goal a game. He's costing us more goals by dropping simple marks.

"structure is over rated"

:drunk:

just a pure coincidence all the top sides have excellent structure then I'm guessing

Nice to see David Cloke getting in his two cents worth, blaming the delivery to his son rather than Travis himself. Cloke senior has always been such a positive influence on his boy and can be counted on to act in the best interests of the club.:rolleyes:

A phone rings ...

... "Hello, Tony here"

... "G'Day Tony, it's Nathan"

Tony: "Oh, Hi Nathan, how's it going?"

Nathan: "Yeah, not too bad, but I've got a little problem I was wondering if you could help me with?"

Tony: "Yeah, sure, what's up?"

Nathan: "I need you to go back to being captain and have a word to one of your players"

Tony: "Sure, which one?"

Nathan: "David Cloke"

Tony: "Ah, yeah. What do you want me to say?"

Nathan: "Just tell him to stop mouthing off about the delivery that Travis is getting. We're trying to get away from a culture of blame here, we're trying to be 'all-in' and David is just getting in and stirring the pot with Travis and making things worse."

Tony: "Yeah, see what you mean. I dunno if I can help, but I'll give it a go. David is the domineering father , all he cares about is Trav and doesn't give a stuff about the club."

Nathan: "Well, Trav isn't going to perform unless the team performs"

Tony: "Yeah, I'm with you ... let me see what I can do"

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies players lose confidence in Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back