Pies Under The Pump

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 14, 2007
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
RedSox
With blokes like Macarthy, Dick, Sinclair, Keefe, Goldsack knocking on the door who do you think is out of form and could be dropped.
Personally as much as I like him Macarthy should be keeping his eye on Wellinghams spot, Sharrods form has not been great his year, I like his hardness but Macarthy has that as well.
I think Krak needs to keep at it and would like to see more in the midfield as Dick has shown he is more than capable at the top level.

Who else is under the pump??

I think they are almost all down a bit so far, except Cloke where there's been some obvious improvement. I felt it was a real education last year when Ball and Jolly joined, two guys at the peak of their form, yet they still took about 8-9 games to really hit their stride, what with learning to play our style etc. Ball is up and about again this year also, but it is sobering just how long it takes for everyone to really jell at the top level. Which bodes well for Krak and Taz.

At the moment probably Krakouer and Wellingham seem to be struggling the most. I don't think they'll get dropped just yet, but it'd be nice to see them step it up a bit. I'm not sure that blokes like McCarthy and Sinclair will be an improvement anyway

Krakouer, Wellingham and nearly Davis aswell.

Would like to see Dick back in the side along with Keefe, McCarthy has also been doing everything right!
Wouldn't be surprised if Fasolo found his way into the side by the half way mark either.

You can almost add Leigh Brown to that list as well.

We are 4-0 and playing less then impressive football, we started pre season about 6 weeks later then everyone else. What more can we ask for? All these players like Wellingham and even Leon Davis will get better during the season. Like Mick said last week, we dont want to be playing September football in April and that we are currentlty playing April football in April and thats all I needed to hear, we will start to see Collingwood play close to their best around round 16 and peak round 20.

You can almost add Leigh Brown to that list as well.

We are 4-0 and playing less then impressive football, we started pre season about 6 weeks later then everyone else. What more can we ask for? All these players like Wellingham and even Leon Davis will get better during the season. Like Mick said last week, we dont want to be playing September football in April and that we are currentlty playing April football in April and thats all I needed to hear, we will start to see Collingwood play close to their best around round 16 and peak round 20.
i agree with the Brown call but he was a lot better last week, working into the season like a few others. He is very handy to have with limited big backs and the possibility of Hille and Ryder playing down there this week he might spend some time down there to help out. I dont think Brown for Keefe would ATM improve us (play back and ruck) so he keeps his spot.

i thought brown to but his second half against richmond saved him, krakour is definately finding it hard to get the ball at the moment and i like the thought of dicks speed in the forward line creating pressure but his game in the reserves last week was below par. wouldnt mind seeing goldsack come in he is just so versatile with great leg speed which we will need against essendon. players performinh below par in my opinion are krakour, wellingham and l.brown but i dont think we will make a change except for jolly in for wood if available

i agree with the Brown call but he was a lot better last week, working into the season like a few others. He is very handy to have with limited big backs and the possibility of Hille and Ryder playing down there this week he might spend some time down there to help out. I dont think Brown for Keefe would ATM improve us (play back and ruck) so he keeps his spot.

Yeah your probs right about bringing in Keefe for Brown but what about drop Brown for Jolly and then have 2 ruckman in Wood and Jolly in the ruck. I just hope we have a decent rucking line up this week, the slaughtering in the ruck in 2009 by Ryder still gives me nighmares.

Has anyone tried that best 22 thing from the AFL website?

I had Jolly, Dick and Fasolo in for Wood, Wellingham and Davis.

Give Wellingham a rest in the reserves, have Fasolo as the sub to experience some ANZAC Day Footy, and Jolly for Wood is pretty obvious really.

Has anyone tried that best 22 thing from the AFL website?

I had Jolly, Dick and Fasolo in for Wood, Wellingham and Davis.

Give Wellingham a rest in the reserves, have Fasolo as the sub to experience some ANZAC Day Footy, and Jolly for Wood is pretty obvious really.

Mick does like to blood players on the big stage so it wouldnt suprise me at all tbh.

With blokes like Macarthy, Dick, Sinclair, Keefe, Goldsack knocking on the door who do you think is out of form and could be dropped.
Personally as much as I like him Macarthy should be keeping his eye on Wellinghams spot, Sharrods form has not been great his year, I like his hardness but Macarthy has that as well.
I think Krak needs to keep at it and would like to see more in the midfield as Dick has shown he is more than capable at the top level.

Who else is under the pump??

Sinclair is injured with a leg fracture for 4 weeks so that rules him out.

The VFL side got absolutely hammered and the AFL listed players were not impressive and shouldn't be picked on last weeks performance.
Granted that the backline was inundated with plenty of ball to compete with, I still think that Keefe and Goldsack need another week in the VFL.

Dick should not be picked yet as he does not seem to have a heap of confidence in his shoulder just yet. He didn't do anything special to suggest that he deserves a game ahead of Krakouer.

Macarthy got a little bit of it early but I still think he needs to conjure up a few more games of strong consistent football before he gets given a 3 week stint at senior level.

Caf- expected a lot more from him last week, but given that the VFL side lacked a system of moving the ball it would have made it more difficult for him to play a leading role.

Krak and Wellingham will get better playing in the senior side rather than the VFL. Although their form over the last couple of weeks hasn't been great, there isn't anyone who I think is genuinely putting their hand up to replace them.

Only players right now playing well enough consistently to truly hold their spot are:

Swan
Thomas
Cloke
Pendles
Dawes
Blair
Shaw
Ball
Beams
Sidebottom

The rest have either been poor all year, or had a terrible couple of games out of 4.

For people to be dropped, there needs to be someone else who is playing well enough to be deserved a spot to replace them. If there isn't anyone in the VFL who has consistently put together excellent performances then they don't deserve to come in.

20 odd touches in the VFL from an AFL midfielder isn't really good enough. They should be getting 30+ touches, setting up play and disposing at extremely high efficiency.

If a forward, then they should be doing something constructive (taking marks, kicking or setting up goals) 70%-80% of the time that they get their hands on the footy.

Defenders should be negating their man for 4 quarters and also provide run and set up play from the back half.

If there is someone in the twos who has done done 3 out of 4 weeks then maybe they are a look in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not much of a strech to read into your post that the rest of the players are droppable. If you say some are not droppable, then by necessity you are saying that you could conceive or justify the rest being dropped.

Of course, in reality, you actually can't because firstly it's a huge overstatment to suggest that half of our team could be dropped without saying who could come in for them and why.

Maxwell and Didak aren't undroppable!? Even though one is our captain and getting his feet back after not playing much, and the other is our number one gamebreaker working back from injury and is starting to find form.

If you're not a troll I genuinely feel for you. You aren't going to be taken seriously while you continue to make these ridiculous calls, and continue to be overly negative towards the team whenever the SLIGHTEST dip in form occurs or we drop a game or two.

You have called Toovey a dud, you've stated multiple times that Malthouse should go, and that we wouldn't win under him.

The above post typifies your bigfooty persona, and you continue to pretend to be utterly amazed when people call you on it.

Once again, reading too much into my post.

Mick himself has said 'reputations mean nothing' which we all know is half garbage anyway, otherwise going by his own admission almost half the side SHOULD be dropped.

But again, the reason I only named who I DON'T think be dropped on form alone is because I don't know who could come in for the players who aren't in form.

Dick for Krakouer?
Buckley for Maxy?
Keefe for Reid?
Thomas for Wellingham? (Josh Thomas, how's his form been?)

Again, the only one that I'd feel confident of coming in is Dick. Not sure how the form of the others has been, hence why I only listed players who I thought had good enough form to not even be considered to be dropped.

If I knew of players who could slot in for the out of form players, then I would have gone and listed all of them and their replacements.

But despite my post being a non-troll, and a logical one at that, you chose to see it as so.

Says more about you than me.

Dick for Krakouer?
Buckley for Maxy?
Keefe for Reid?
Thomas for Wellingham? (Josh Thomas, how's his form been?)
Dick is still scared to put his body on the line even a little, no where near seniors
Buckley has a groin injury
Keefe was horrible in the VFL this week, both ruck and in defence
Josh Thomas hasn't played a game since early preseason due to injury

So on "form" and "fitness" your changes are horrible at best and laughably fanciful at worst

We are 1st on the ladder with a huge percentage, and I think that half the team should be considered for demotions because they are not playing at 100% capacity, and think that they should be replaced by players I'm not entirely sure of whose form is unknown to me, whose injury status is unknown to me, after almost every seconds player had a dirty weekend.

I know nothing about football.

I think Simon Buckley would be a good replacement for our captain who is coming back from an injury even though Buckley is a significant downgrade in quality, plays in a different position and is injured.

Quality, quality material Ed.

Cheers for the laugh.

In regards to those say a player needs to be dominating in the vfl to earn a place in the team, on that basis it looks like the same 24 or 25 will play the whole year in the seniors, as it's going to be bloody hard to dominate in our vfl team. It's not like last year when we had a competitive reserves side and players were able to stand out in it. Correct me if I'm wrong but on the weekend our 3 oldest players were K.Pendles, goldsack and shae Mac, all of whom are 24-25? The rest of the team were full of 18-21 year olds. Try dominating consistently in a team like that. Therefore we need to look at the performances in the vfl differently than we usually would, and I suspect Mick malthouse won't be as critical of vfl performances when choosing to bring someone up. The likes of dick, Keeffe, Buckley, mcaffer, McCarthy and goldsack will be rotated through the senior even if they're not 'dominating' the vfl. And if Mick thinks they're ready, perhaps a kid or two. I'm just saying that vfl performances can't be veiwed like they usually would, seeing as the team is made up of kids. Ps. Sorry about the grammar, on the iPhone atm

In regards to those say a player needs to be dominating in the vfl to earn a place in the team, on that basis it looks like the same 24 or 25 will play the whole year in the seniors, as it's going to be bloody hard to dominate in our vfl team. It's not like last year when we had a competitive reserves side and players were able to stand out in it. Correct me if I'm wrong but on the weekend our 3 oldest players were K.Pendles, goldsack and shae Mac, all of whom are 24-25? The rest of the team were full of 18-21 year olds. Try dominating consistently in a team like that. Therefore we need to look at the performances in the vfl differently than we usually would, and I suspect Mick malthouse won't be as critical of vfl performances when choosing to bring someone up. The likes of dick, Keeffe, Buckley, mcaffer, McCarthy and goldsack will be rotated through the senior even if they're not 'dominating' the vfl. And if Mick thinks they're ready, perhaps a kid or two. I'm just saying that vfl performances can't be veiwed like they usually would, seeing as the team is made up of kids. Ps. Sorry about the grammar, on the iPhone atm

That side also had Dick, Macarthy and Macaffer- senior players who should be pushing hard for a spot in the team. However, when you get pumped it's hard to play a strong game.

It's more about comfortably winning your position and what you do with the ball when you get it. Eg, If Dick plays up forward and he is limited to only having 8 opportunities to get his hands on it, if he kicks 3 out of 4 shots on goal and lays a couple of solid tackles to force turnovers- that would be enough to be considered having a solid game and be considered for a recall. If Keefe and Goldy are at FB and have 3 or 4 kicked on them but they also stop their opponent from getting the ball 10+ times and repel attacks- that would be considered a solid performance.

The season is still young and there isn't much point making a heap of changes due to inconsistent form until another week or two once all players have had a few games under their belt. I don't see how Krakouer or Wellingham can play themselves into form in a side that has just been belted by Werribee.

Dick is still scared to put his body on the line even a little, no where near seniors
Buckley has a groin injury
Keefe was horrible in the VFL this week, both ruck and in defence
Josh Thomas hasn't played a game since early preseason due to injury

So on "form" and "fitness" your changes are horrible at best and laughably fanciful at worst

I wasn't suggesting they be the changes, hence the question mark. I even said I wouldn't know who to replace with who since I wasn't sure of anyone's form in the VFL.

I never once said half our side should be considered for demotions.

I listed players that had no chance of demotion. How is that even the same thing?
You said 10 players are no chance of demotion, which logically means the rest if the team is a chance of demotion. This is 11 players. That is pretty much half the side.

Am I right in only Blair debuting last year?

If so Id love to see to maybe 3-4 players getting a taste of senior footy just to set them up for next year.In saying that you dont mess with a winning formula so its a tricky situation(good situation to be in)

Against the gold coast would be a great chance to bring in 2 players in for a taste and then again maybe against Brisbane later on in the year. If we really want to blood some kids against Adelaide and west coast would be good options as well.

bringing in the kids at a early stage is what made us a great side. It could also help keeping us up for longer.

According to Mick, McCarthy almost got selected but then got bitten on the knee by a spider and it set him back a week hahah.

Only players right now playing well enough consistently to truly hold their spot are:

Swan
Thomas
Cloke
Pendles
Dawes
Blair
Shaw
Ball
Beams
Sidebottom

The rest have either been poor all year, or had a terrible couple of games out of 4.

You missed Toova from that list. He's been steadily doing his job and I would daresay with a little more accountability from last year. Second behind DT for Coach's pet and with good reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies Under The Pump

Remove this Banner Ad

Back