Autopsy Pies v Bombers. Pies lose. Again. Sad face. Angry face. Acceptance face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Youse prolly don't wanna hear this right now, but it's never as bad as it seems.

Nathan has to go, but once you get through that it could turn quicker than you think.

Going against my instincts and agreeing with you here. ;)

It's not THAT bad.

Our squad has plenty going for it (albeit with some glaring holes and significant issues) and we are a strong, wealthy and very well supported club. There are some fundamental changes that need to happen but ultimately we will turn it around.

The frustration for me is how long the club seems prepared to allow things to meander steadily downward before acting decisively.

Spot on. I'll still go to every game but I gave up caring about the result when we lost to Carlton earlier in the year.

Yep, that was about the time my eyes glazed over too. This feels like purgatory. Just waiting for it to end.

So our changes were:

In: Reid/Shaz/Smith/Varcoe
Out: Moore/Howe/Phillips/Ramsay

Varcoe aside, every player we brought in is slow and that showed. Smith in particular was useless. He was rightfully dropped a few weeks ago, played one poor VFL game and then came back in? Woeful decision. Losing your best player for the year just before the game is never nice though.

But the problems run far deeper than that. For starters we're clearly playing an unfit Treloar. I don't trust our medical team enough to believe that they're not doing him long term damage. The pressure got to a few of the boys today you could see, Greenwood and Maynard two who showed a lack of discipline.

Our disposal and decision making today was again just shit. If you're slow and can't kick you just have no chance in the modern game. Particularly when you are so weak around the contest as we were today. De Goey probably didn't spend enough time in the middle today but even when he was in there he didn't do a lot.

Up forward Elliott and Fas tried their guts out and had a bit of reward. But we just have no idea how to deliver it forward and we don't crumb, it's so painful.

I've been pretty lenient on Buckley until recently but it's become untenable now. We desperately need a change in direction across the board. Today was breaking point.
Sorry is howe out for the year?

Ah yes we can; it's called player development - that's the responsibility of the coaching panel including bucks

Whatever.

You think it's the coaches fault some spud sprays a shot from 10m out?

Stop drinking the Haterade.

Bucks has to go, but get real.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I try to get a feeling for the action from the game thread. But as you suggest, factual information is readily available through sites offering a unique AFL focus. I will avail myself of the former footy fact base to which you so kindly directed me. Many thanks.
Lol. Twitter is great for sport. Just follow the hashtag for the game. The game day thread this year is just ppl melting.

Agree PB, Maynard, Ramsay, Scharenberg, Langdon and Howe are all good offensively but quite poor one on one defending the high ball and where they position themselves while defending an opponent.

We have these players that are really suited to a running role from outside defensive 50 up and down the wings and to be honest they are quite good at it, that is their go and how we would get the best out of them, instead, we have them accountable and negating and defence first, and we then wonder why they struggle for touches and end up with small forward opponents kicking a bag on them.

We really seem to lack guys that are there to lock down on a small opponent but still find the footy, Goldsack can do it, Toovey was brilliant at it, Marley Williams has proven now to be a massive loss, Fantasia would not have kicked 5 on him yesterday guaranteed.

All the players mentioned at the start of my post can play, however they are being played out of position and in roles that do not suit there strength.
We all talk about getting a tall as being a priority but if a small lock down defender became available (A really good one) then I would take him first thanks, there is a reason why oppositions smalls cut us up week after week and if the powerrs taht be can't work it out then the issues are worse than I thought.

This Buckley mantra of each player playing multiple roles is a crock of shit! find a players best position and play them there if they can do 2 roles just as well then fine but don't force it, a balanced, consistent and FAMILIAR team line up position wise breeds a real understanding amongst a group.
Bucks will still be telling us in 3 years if he stays on that "We are still trying to find our right mix"

My son and I attended the game and then backed it up meeting my St.Kilda loving wife and friends at Etihad to watch that game. The skill difference between the 2 games was astounding also highlighting that Essendon as well as us are a mile off.
Goldsack and Langdon were ok and seeing pendles waltz through the congestion was a good moment. Apart from that it really was an insipid display, like watching a bunch of chooks running around.

Positives from yesterday's game were Fasolo and Elliot up forward. We just need to add more players to build that forward setup.

I liked Reid up forward.

The 2017 season is done for us. Time to get some games into some younger players, rest any players who are injured.

I agree with others who have said that Maynard should be moved out of defence. Move him to a wing or across half forward as his turnovers in the backline are too costly.

My son and I attended the game and then backed it up meeting my St.Kilda loving wife and friends at Etihad to watch that game. The skill difference between the 2 games was astounding also highlighting that Essendon as well as us are a mile off.
Goldsack and Langdon were ok and seeing pendles waltz through the congestion was a good moment. Apart from that it really was an insipid display, like watching a bunch of chooks running around.

They actually all hunt the ball like under 10s and run side by side trying to get the handball, it is laughable and If we didn't have the talent we do on our list we would cop 100 point beltings every week.

I was very happy to read this morning that Goddard is still fuming about Greenwood's hit on Merrett. Good to see something positive came out of the match.

Can someone please tell me why Goddard is constantly on all forms of media. He is boring and has no personality. Its going to be painful when he walks into a high profile media position when he retures.

Disagree. WHE has supplied just what I expected-good outside run and some pace. He has been okay all year and in a good side would be a very good player.
There are plenty of players I would be putting a red line through long before I considered axing Hoskin Elliot.
Fair enough, but I just don't see anything special with WHE. He is just a competent league player at best!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pies v Bombers. Pies lose. Again. Sad face. Angry face. Acceptance face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back