Autopsy Pies v Bombers. Pies lose. Again. Sad face. Angry face. Acceptance face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well l think the CFC can change things if they wanted to, but l always remember Ben Hart been interviewed this year about Bucks, and he said Bucks has an idea of how he wants the club to play it's footy, and once Bucks has an idea its hard to get him to change from that. Well l think that his unwillingness to change and accept change has no doubt cost him his job, and l think it has also affected the growth in some players as AFL players and has seen some very good players walk out the door. Basically when Bucks got the club, as a team that played finals regulary, played GF'S and won a premiership, has now been set back about 5 years, that will need alot of work by the incoming coach.
Lets face it, Buckley was given the opportunity to coach by his mate, Ed. Bucks had no real grounding in coaching, assistant for a couple of years dosent cut it.The thought of Bucks coaching North at the time, had Ed thinking not with his head, but as a Collingwood supporter, who would hate to see their favourite player leave.
It has been one moneumental f up, and l hope that when Bucks or the club announce his departure, that it is recognised, that the timing and the decision made was not of great judgement, and probably unfair to Bucks himself.
Ed appointing Bucks bas set us back 10 years, our list is a disaster area.

I know your being facetious but OP effects everything.

Your pace, lateral movement & kick penetration.

Does that mean I think he's a great disposer, no, it does however explain HOW bad he is at the moment.

Well I hope anyway.:D

Put him on ice.

It's manageable
Not as bad as a bad back.
I've experienced OP as have
Many footballers.
Managed well and rested.
He'll be All-Australian.
Mismanaged like with Chris Judd at WCE then Traloar will permanently lose his kicking and running ability.

Best thing for Adam would be to take him off the park for a week or two.
Put him in the pool long term.
Work on core strength.

AFL.com describes Callum Twomey as 'our draft guru, an expert in young talent, and the Essendon beat writer. In 2012 he was named the Australian Football Media Association's Clinton Grybas Rising Star'. Today Callum also takes home the 'John Ralph campaigner Of The Week' award for Round 16. Here's an extract from Callum's acceptance speech: 'I feel so honoured. After the game I didn't think twice about reminding the Collingwood faithful that they could have landed James Stewart father-son. I had no idea it would land me the John Ralph. Robbo has really dominated this award in recent times. To snatch this from him is a surprise and a thrill'.
Uh.. what?

Worst captain I've seen in my time supporting the club!

Overall Buckley needs to go, but I seriously doubt he's instructing Langdon to stand around like a stunned mullet for five seconds after taking a mark then kick it directly to the opposition and run straight past Hooker giving away a 50 metre penalty killing our momentum. Or for Maynard to exit D50 and try and pinpoint a 40 metre kick on his right amongst three Bombers. Or for Scharenberg to kick it OOF and into the man on the mark from stop plays. Or for Treloar to kick it 20 metres sideways while entering F50 or miss a one metre handball by two metres. Or Adams running into an open goal and hitting the top of the behind post.

He's no good, but surely the playing group can actually play with some pride in the jumper and their own performance because that was crap today!
I've been on this train for ages. He's the worst captain we've had since I've been following Collingwood.

Hine would probably **** the pick up anyway.
"draftee han't kicked a football since he was 13 due to constant hamstring injuries, two broken legs and an ACL but we really liked what we saw in his under 11's round seven game and we think there's a lot to work with. His kicking needs work, as does his marking, as does his handballing, as does his decision making, as does his scoreboard impact, as does his hurt factor, but the pressure he applies in the contest is really important and what we're looking for to really solidify ourselves as one of the top midfields in the AFL"

Blair cares, or perhaps we need some skill instead?
I actually think we need more blokes with Blairs heart. Okay Blair doesn't have the ability and isn't part of the future but the bloke has played 149 games won a premiership and kicked over 100 goals. Got the absolute most out of himself with his ability. All jokes aside if some of the more skilled blokes had his heart and workrate the club would be a better place.

I've been on this train for ages. He's the worst captain we've had since I've been following Collingwood.
The problem being he is clearly our best choice.

Adams, I like him...but not ready, and he is one of biggest offenders in terms of turn overs

Sidey, just like Pendles...a nice player but not a leader

We are crying out for on-field leaders, have been for years.

Moore and McClarty can hopefully come on quickly and help us out. Perhaps that might be Schaz' go down the track. That calm head who is smart can organise us down back and set the standard.

The problem being he is clearly our best choice.

Adams, I like him...but not ready, and he is one of biggest offenders in terms of turn overs

Sidey, just like Pendles...a nice player but not a leader

We are crying out for on-field leaders, have been for years.

Moore and McClarty can hopefully come on quickly and help us out. Perhaps that might be Schaz' go down the track. That calm head who is smart can organise us down back and set the standard.
Adams, ****. Lucky to be on a list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well l think the CFC can change things if they wanted to, but l always remember Ben Hart been interviewed this year about Bucks, and he said Bucks has an idea of how he wants the club to play it's footy, and once Bucks has an idea its hard to get him to change from that. Well l think that his unwillingness to change and accept change has no doubt cost him his job, and l think it has also affected the growth in some players as AFL players and has seen some very good players walk out the door. Basically when Bucks got the club, as a team that played finals regulary, played GF'S and won a premiership, has now been set back about 5 years, that will need alot of work by the incoming coach.
Lets face it, Buckley was given the opportunity to coach by his mate, Ed. Bucks had no real grounding in coaching, assistant for a couple of years dosent cut it.The thought of Bucks coaching North at the time, had Ed thinking not with his head, but as a Collingwood supporter, who would hate to see their favourite player leave.
It has been one moneumental f up, and l hope that when Bucks or the club announce his departure, that it is recognised, that the timing and the decision made was not of great judgement, and probably unfair to Bucks himself.

Nailed it. The initial agreement had Buckley learning under MM which for one reason or another hasn't happened. Some of the bad coaching we've seen over the last few years is because Bucks is learning on the fly. I don't doubt his work ethic but you can't buy experience.

To be fair, the players f**k up week-in, week-out in ways that we can't blame the coach for. They're crap to watch and as a spectacle we're totally underwhelming.

Sadly Bucks is not the guy to take this group any further; but what about the actual playing group itself? Can we make jam out of pig-poo?

Sadly, I went today and watched that disappointing display. The atmosphere on and off the field was despondent.

I manage a large team of people in an area of professional expertise. There are 2 different career paths available to them. The first is a choice to aim towards senior executive management of the whole team. This involves being strong at and liking people management, making difficult decisions and judgments in the context of ambiguity and imperfect information often on the run, being able to articulate a vision and engage others in it, being able to motivate and inspire others (including individuals from a variety of backgrounds), delegation skills and the capacity to think strategically whilst also being able to drive execution. In this context you are not the expert on the tools but rely upon good people around you to make good decisions and lead well to achieve your goal.

The second is to choose to become an expert because you enjoy having the depth of knowledge and being the trusted authority on an area of expertise. It involves enjoying analysis and rigour and being able to be relied upon to provide the right information to facilitate good decision making. You need to be able to communicate complexity in simple terms.
These experts are critical and valued.
They are not people managers first and foremost.

In my view, the leader/manager is what you need in a senior coach.
The latter you need in assistant roles of sorts. I have always been impressed by Bucks as a person of integrity with an analytical mind and he appears to enjoy the analysis.
Nick Maxwell commented that Bucks does not see it as his job to motivate the players . I believe that an inspiring leader would be doing this as a matter of course. This shows that he is more the expert analyst of footy than a natural senior coach. By his own admission he is still learning to delegate, for example.

He was fantastic as an assistant focussed on opposition analysis before taking the senior job.

The mistake was to see him as able to lead the whole team which requires different attributes.

Time to find that leader to inspire us all

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Am I being harsh? WHE has given us very little this year. I thought he was a gun with all the hype surrounding his arrival at the club? Unless I'm missing something he is a league player at best. Another battler on our list.
  • He has no impact on games,
  • He doesn't like the hard ball,
  • He can't tackle, can't remember one that has stuck.
  • Has no pace whatsoever. Conceded the mother of all tackles against the blues earlier in the year.
  • Can't take a pack mark.
I felt the same way as you. Was really happy we recruited him. Now not so.
By the way your wrong about pace. He is actually quite quick.

AFL.com.au and twitter.com mate... Come on
I try to get a feeling for the action from the game thread. But as you suggest, factual information is readily available through sites offering a unique AFL focus. I will avail myself of the former footy fact base to which you so kindly directed me. Many thanks.

turn around fast when the senior coach stops being so pig-headed about his style of play
But that's the issue, Ben Hart was interviewed on SEN earlier this year and categorically stated that when he was there it was Bucks way or the highway and looks that is has not changed. We've seen glimpses of his "vision" but to execute it you need a team of AA's to pull it off over the course of the season
that Collingwood 2017 has a very "Richmond 2016" feel about them
Ever heard the saying exception to the rule? To suggest that teams have mirroring journey's as a regularity is folly
persist with Buckley and give him another 2 years
Now I'm starting to believe you just want us to hold up the ladder for as long as possible

well actually he was leading tackler with SideBot who both had 6 ....
Interesting isn't it. We call JDG a bull. He had 0 tackles, that's right zero tackles.
We say WHE is soft as butter yet he had the equal most tackles.
I should point out here that I am guilty of this as well. Our perceptions sometimes mask reality.

we've been left like a boat without a rudder with our trading. We're floating out to sea, to get rid of our coach would only result in the boat capsizing. We need to give bucks a few more years to get it right. I would hate to see him go he just needs another off seasons trade period.
lol love the sarcasm!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pies v Bombers. Pies lose. Again. Sad face. Angry face. Acceptance face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back