Places to stay when travelling interstate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
From past experience, where are the best places to stay when watching Freo play in Melbourne?

The closer to the ground or train station, the better. Preferably, the accommodation should be adequate but still affordable for a student.

The Hilton is about a 2 minute walk from the MCG. :)

Seriously, anywhere in the CBD seems to be OK for games at either Colonial or the MCG, both are a short walk from anywhere central.

wotif.com seems to have cheap prices for short stays. I know Virgin Blue have a booking system for hotels as well where you key in the type of room and the number of nights and it gives you abotu 30 or 40 hotels you can book immediately for when you want to go.

Originally posted by carlyp
I tell you guys what,cause Im feeling rather generous at this point in time. If the dockers ever come back and play here at York Park, you can all stay with me!
:D:D:D:D

Not if I am there;)

unless they wanna hold the video camera :eek:

Originally posted by Freo Hitman
Not if I am there;)

unless they wanna hold the video camera :eek:

Shhhhhhhh FH, We wernt telling ppl just yet ;)
Well we could do with a video camera holder couldnt we sweat pea????
Sabre what are you doing next year if the dockers come to tassie???
;)

Originally posted by carlyp
Shhhhhhhh FH, We wernt telling ppl just yet ;)
Well we could do with a video camera holder couldnt we sweat pea????
Sabre what are you doing next year if the dockers come to tassie???
;)

:D

Originally posted by Rob
The Hilton is about a 2 minute walk from the MCG. :)

Seriously, anywhere in the CBD seems to be OK for games at either Colonial or the MCG, both are a short walk from anywhere central.

wotif.com seems to have cheap prices for short stays. I know Virgin Blue have a booking system for hotels as well where you key in the type of room and the number of nights and it gives you abotu 30 or 40 hotels you can book immediately for when you want to go.

The wotif.com site doesn't seem to be working, but the Virgin Blue site was a big help.

Return tickets to Melbourne can be bought for around $200. Hopefully I will be booking one for September. :)

Who else will be travelling to see our first final?

Originally posted by |D_J^B_J|
The wotif.com site doesn't seem to be working, but the Virgin Blue site was a big help.

Return tickets to Melbourne can be bought for around $200. Hopefully I will be booking one for September. :)

wotif.com seems to be working OK now. It's a great site IMO.

Personally, I'd go the YHA or backpackers option, really all you need is a bed.

I plan to go for our first final, question is: where will it be? I'm hoping there will be travel options through the club or Qantas. When I was living in Adelaide, Qantas had a special on for the Crows Semi against the Swans in '98 so I went over for the weekend, only condition was you had to be back by Monday.

I'm bored. I've stayed at Quay West in Southbank, it is only a couple of minutes walk from the G, Rod Laver, and Vodofone Arenas, it is next door to the Arts Centre, over the bridge (river) from Federation Square and is about 1 minutes walk from Flinders Street. It is a five star hotel. I booked through wotif.com, so you should be able to do it there.

I went over less than a month ago for the Freo Maggies game with some friends. No concession prices but we stayed thursday nite to tuesday. Good, cheap places include Hotel Enterprize and Kingsgate Hotel (awarded for most budget hotel in melb hehe)

For our last nite, we stayed at pacific international suites, which is 4 and a half star for only $48 each. We had a whole suite, pretty awesome for the price. I to booked at wotif.com. They have some great specials, you just have to look around bit.

Are you serious about return to melb for $200? We paid $395 each and that included a "mid week mini" I also want to make it to our first final, if we get in, and have already started saving

Originally posted by freo_fan
Are you serious about return to melb for $200? We paid $395 each and that included a "mid week mini" I also want to make it to our first final, if we get in, and have already started saving

Nah, sorry to get your hopes up ;), it was actually $204 for the flight to Melbourne and $159 back, on a sale fare from the Virgin Blue website

Originally posted by Docker_Brat
wotif.com seems to be working OK now. It's a great site IMO.

Personally, I'd go the YHA or backpackers option, really all you need is a bed.

I plan to go for our first final, question is: where will it be? I'm hoping there will be travel options through the club or Qantas. When I was living in Adelaide, Qantas had a special on for the Crows Semi against the Swans in '98 so I went over for the weekend, only condition was you had to be back by Monday.

Yeah wotif.com is working now, and it is a good site.

A travel option through the club would be very handy indeed. I'll have to contact the club about that closer to the time if it looks like we'll be there in September. :)

Also, do you know when tickets go on sale to members of one of the participating clubs in a final? Is it the Monday before the game? And where can you purchase the tickets from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by |D_J^B_J|

100 bucks says that if I book the flights to Melbourne for the first week, we'll jag 5th spot and get the final at Subi. :)

When I went to Melbourne I stayed at the Greenhouse Backpacker on Flinders Lane.

THey were very cheap, very central, very clean, and good service too. I would recommend them to anyone.

Can't remember their exact address, but go to http://www.bugaustralia.com/ and follow the accomodation links to victoria->melbourne.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment next door to the MCG - I will be in WA from the 11th until 29th Sept.

My complex has all the extra's - pool gym security parking etc. Its on the old railways site.

If you have ever walked from the city to the MCG you have walked right past the complex.

I am willing to talk to anyone who is coming for a week or so and wants to rent it.

I have stayed at the Hotel Ibis (near the Queen Victoria Markets) which is in a great location - near the trams to take you to St Kilda, Carlton etc. It is also within walking distance into the main CBD.

If the Eagles were to play in the finals in Melbourne (pending airfair costs) I'd probably stay in a Backpackers place as I'm a YHA member.

The club will be organizing a travel package if we play an away final.

Call Motive Travel, the club's assigned travel agent, on 9322 2666 and get them to put your name down on the list so they can contact you when we know where our first final will be played.

I went over to Melbourne, from perth, for the Anzac day game this year and wanted somewhere cheap to stay. I ended up staying at 'The Nunnery' in Fitzroy. I know it sounds kinda freaky but its actually pretty clean, cheap and easily accessible to the rest of the city. Its walking distance to the city.

I went over Heritage week & stayed at Flinders station backpackers. Cost $18 a night. For 2 of the 3 nights I was the only one in the room & theres also a pub downstairs open to 6.00am?

Remove this Banner Ad

Places to stay when travelling interstate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back