List Mgmt. 'Play hardball': Mitch Robinson urges the Suns to re-draft Jack Martin

Should Gold Coast make a stand and re-draft Jack Martin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure how a bunch of meaningless numbers proves your point.
Well goals are scored by kicking the ball through the big sticks and caddy does it more than Martin because 1.2 is a bigger number than 0.5.

Happy to clear up any of the numbers you don’t understand.

It's still pathetic regardless of any wall of text you come up with
Translation: “I’m a small-minded moron and no amount of logic and reason will change my mind”.

Dees fans seem adamant that Hawthorn is paying Frost huge money. By your logic you should have refused anything other than a top 10 pick for him.

Seems like a new era for the Suns. Good on them drawing a line in the sand over Martin.

a one year deal seems like a win-win getting Jack to free agency
I think this is wishful thinking by you. They aren’t going to draft a player that doesn’t want to be there. It’s really not a great culture building move. What players are going to want to go there if, at the end of their contract, they won’t be able to move if they so choose?

"Playing hardball" is a childish approach most of the time. It's usually short sighted and based on bravado and appearing tough.

People who urge a hardball approach are usually tapping into the old primate brain stopping before they reach the cortex.

Redrafting him is hardball IMHO, unless Jack performs he drives his value down further.

Free a
I think this is wishful thinking by you. They aren’t going to draft a player that doesn’t want to be there. It’s really not a great culture building move. What players are going to want to go there if, at the end of their contract, they won’t be able to move if they so choose?

Free agency is available, got to earn it even though you can try when you are out of contract, try that is.

If the suns redraft him, this confirms the club is more interested in being run by shit management and being a shit employer.

Improve the club, improve management, improve spending, improve performance, improve conditions and be a destination of choice.

Sure this requires the AFLs help, concessions and COLA. But being vindictive is not a sensible goal for any individual or club.

Free a

Free agency is available, got to earn it even though you can try when you are out of contract, try that is.
I just don’t see a club recruiting a player that doesn’t want to be there. I don’t see how that could work into a positive. If GC (or especially Melbourne) can convince him that playing for them would be a good move, then yes they should pick him. But to me it is wishful thinking by someone who is hoping for a negative Carlton outcome to suggest a club will draft a player against their wishes.

Well goals are scored by kicking the ball through the big sticks and caddy does it more than Martin because 1.2 is a bigger number than 0.5.

Happy to clear up any of the numbers you don’t understand.
By your logic forwards are automatically better than defenders.

If the suns redraft him, this confirms the club is more interested in being run by shit management and being a shit employer.

Improve the club, improve management, improve spending, improve performance, improve conditions and be a destination of choice.

Sure this requires the AFLs help, concessions and COLA. But being vindictive is not a sensible goal for any individual or club.

Redrafting him if vindictive alone is indeed crazy.

Using it to make the point about contracts at the Suns, re signing him for 12 months, getting the best out of him so he gets the big bucks when FA kicks in, would be my thinking if I was Coch0 & co.

I just don’t see a club recruiting a player that doesn’t want to be there. I don’t see how that could work into a positive. If GC (or especially Melbourne) can convince him that playing for them would be a good move, then yes they should pick him. But to me it is wishful thinking by someone who is hoping for a negative Carlton outcome to suggest a club will draft a player against their wishes.

Given you replied to my post, where he tried to go etc has no influence on my views.

Suns are proving yet again why they remain a shambles of an organisation....set up for success they have been a failure both on and off the field...and still they keep asking for handouts. the AFL should cut their losses and fold this franchise club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns are proving yet again why they remain a shambles of an organisation....set up for success they have been a failure both on and off the field...and still they keep asking for handouts. the AFL should cut their losses and fold this franchise club

The fail is the Blues.

Given you replied to my post, where he tried to go etc has no influence on my views.
No, you weren’t the one I was suggesting was hoping for a negative Carlton outcome. In any case, there is just no way a club will recruit a player against their wishes and I am staggered that so many believe it would be a positive for GC.

From a Carlton perspective, my worry has always been Melbourne. I am more confident after reading Jon Ralph’s article earlier in the week where he suggested that Martin has issues with an ex-GC player who is now at Melbourne. Ralph is adamant that Martin will get to Carlton.

Carlton didnt value him enough to make a decent trade offer for Jack.

Does he really want to go to the Blues?

Not if he gets to Carlton it’s not. It’s very much a positive outcome for Carlton if he gets there at no cost. Certainly a lot better than being bent over the trade table for a top 10 pick for Martin.

just 900k per season?

By your logic forwards are automatically better than defenders.

they are paid more money for a reason

Last edited:

just 900k per season?

The salary is not ideal. Still, we will be able to go to 105% of the cap for the next 2 years if need be. It’s a better outcome than coughing up a top 10 pick.

just 900k per season?

If your $900K figure is legit, then yes I would suggest he would be very happy to go to Carlton. The offer made to GC was the equivalent of pick 12 in points, even if Carlton finish 8th the trade was worth approximately pick 18. Given his body of work so far in the AFL what do you think he is worth in a trade?

This notion that GC needed to make a stand seems detached from reality. They got pick 6 for Prestia, Hawks paid a massive price for O’Meara. Has any of that changed the fact that players want to leave the club?

Very arrogant post. Your club hasn’t performed much better on the field over recent years despite the financial, historical and location advantages they have.

He was out of contract. Why wasn't he just signed by a club in October?

Because the AFL system is an illogical farce. Uncontracted players are still tied to their club and able to be used as tradeable currency, rather than being free agents.

Very arrogant post. Your club hasn’t performed much better on the field over recent years despite the financial, historical and location advantages they have.

20 years without a grand final for the blues, both clubs in the bottom 4 currently.

carlton is arguably no less of a basketcase than the suns. the suns 'refresh' looks promising too.

makes a lot of sense for Martin to go around again with the Gold Coast. He has been there seven years cant hate it that much; the suns have looked after him, given a 5 year deal when he was 18

Last edited:

This is such a stupid statement.
Gold Coast have done nothing wrong.

Objectively, Carlton should have been booted out of the AFL when they were found to have systematically cheated. They have been an absolute drain on the resources of the league ever since.

Because the AFL system is an illogical farce. Uncontracted players are still tied to their club and able to be used as tradeable currency, rather than being free agents.

No. Because otherwise, players would not have to be traded to move to the club of their choice. They would just stonewall during the trade period and then move where they wanted, for nothing. Delisted Free Agency only applies when a player has been delisted by the club.

People who claim the AFL is illogical usually don’t have any understanding of logic. Dems der feels...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 'Play hardball': Mitch Robinson urges the Suns to re-draft Jack Martin

Back