Player comparison thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure since everyone has a whinge at Player A for Player B threads, we could just make a single thread and anyone who doesn't want to be involved can just not read it. I think it could work like the regular player discussion thread, where one person asks a question and then another answers it before getting to ask their own question.

My question is: Get Riewoldt or Pavlich from the start? I'm planning on getting one from the start and upgrading to the other, but I'm undecided on which. If nobody answers me I'll know my thread failed.

Pav in a heartbeat - Roo is too injury prone for my liking.

This time around I am going to avoid injury prone players as much as possible as I was burned last year by Chappy/Chad etc.

Personally I'd go with Pavlich as well, because he is much more consistant than Riewoldt, meaning his price is a lot less likely to drop. Riewoldt usually comes down in price a fair bit during the season, so an ideal upgrade should eventuate at some point.

DF88 hasn't asked anything, so I will ask:

Nick Malceski or Josh Drummond?

Personally I'd go with Pavlich as well, because he is much more consistant than Riewoldt, meaning his price is a lot less likely to drop. Riewoldt usually comes down in price a fair bit during the season, so an ideal upgrade should eventuate at some point.

DF88 hasn't asked anything, so I will ask:

Nick Malceski or Josh Drummond?

Neither (can I say that?:p). Drummond is far too risky even for his price. Chances are he will get injured before he makes you a substantial profit. It's also highly likely he will injure himself during the game and have a ridiculously low score. Malceski on the other hand needs to show that he has fully recovered from his injury. Because we have never seen how this op effects players I am going to be very cautious about picking him up. I would want to see at least 2 promising NAB cup games from him which is unlikely given Roos' dislike for the pre-season comp. The other worry is since his 2007 season the Swans have brought in Mattner and Shaw to share the duties coming out of defence.

Gram vs Buckley vs Mattner vs Symes

Wow, I actually had a good idea apparently.

Of those four players, I would rule out Mattner. He is unlikely to do any better than last year. Symes is in the same boat, will be consistent and probably get you about 80 but is unlikely to improve. The Saints have publicly stated that Gram will move into the midfield this season (one source is the article on their drafting when talking about Colm Begley) so he could significantly improve his output. Buckley is a risk, and I won't pretend to know much about him, but others on this site have said that he could improve his average to about 80-85 this year. I would have them in this order.

1. Gram
2. Buckley
3. Symes
4. Mattner

Wow, I actually had a good idea apparently.

Of those four players, I would rule out Mattner. He is unlikely to do any better than last year. Symes is in the same boat, will be consistent and probably get you about 80 but is unlikely to improve. The Saints have publicly stated that Gram will move into the midfield this season (one source is the article on their drafting when talking about Colm Begley) so he could significantly improve his output. Buckley is a risk, and I won't pretend to know much about him, but others on this site have said that he could improve his average to about 80-85 this year. I would have them in this order.

1. Gram
2. Buckley
3. Symes
4. Mattner

Think your being harsh on those two. Both were at new clubs this year and took a while to adjust. Symes had an injury interupted year and when he becomes more settled at Adelaide could improve on his average of 80. Don't forget he averaged 85 in 2006 with Port. Mattner also took time to get settled at Sydney and had a big finsh to the year, averaging 91 in his last 5 games.

Symes I guess could improve, after all he's still young. And the Crows do screw around with the ball at the back a lot. And I'm ever so slightly biased against Mattner because I think he's a disgrace to football and should have to personally apologize to everybody who missed out on being drafted this year for taking a spot that they deserve more. Despite all that, I stand by my order, although I agree that I was a bit harsh on Symes. Feel free to disagree with me, but I'm not changing my opinion.

Just realized I forgot to post a new one.

Chris Judd vs. Bryce Gibbs vs. Nick Dal Santo

Your comparing two players who in the past have been solid DT'ers and one youngster who has shown signs of being a DT gun. I doubt Judd will ever return to a 100ppg average at the blues because he plays too much as an inside player. Interestingly though, I have heard Ratten will try to play him as an outside mid as well next year so that could be worth keeping an eye on.

Dal Santo just cannot handle a tag and his DT scores rely on getting cheap stats because his team-mates look to him because of his disposal. His durability is a massive plus though.

Gibbs on the other hand is entering his 3rd year and after playing more in the midfield late in the year looks set to step up in '09.

So, for me it's:

Gibbs (by a fair way)
Dal Santo (durability gets him over the line)
Judd (watch how Ratten uses him though)

Your comparing two players who in the past have been solid DT'ers and one youngster who has shown signs of being a DT gun. I doubt Judd will ever return to a 100ppg average at the blues because he plays too much as an inside player. Interestingly though, I have heard Ratten will try to play him as an outside mid as well next year so that could be worth keeping an eye on.

Dal Santo just cannot handle a tag and his DT scores rely on getting cheap stats because his team-mates look to him because of his disposal. His durability is a massive plus though.

Gibbs on the other hand is entering his 3rd year and after playing more in the midfield late in the year looks set to step up in '09.

So, for me it's:

Gibbs (by a fair way)
Dal Santo (durability gets him over the line)
Judd (watch how Ratten uses him though)

Sorry, forgot to put another set of players. Let's go with:

Lewis vs Gibbs vs Van Berlo vs Boak vs Brennan

Sorry, forgot to put another set of players. Let's go with:

Lewis vs Gibbs vs Van Berlo vs Boak vs Brennan

1 Gibbs
2 Boak
3 Van Berlo
4 Lewis
5 Brennan

Boak and VB are hard to choose from but they're quite a bit behind Gibbs anyway. Lewis is unlikely to play a full 22 game season so therfore he is lower down and Brennan, well I just don't like him as a DT player.:D

Dale Thomas vs Alwyn Davey

Thomas by a long way. Unless you meant Aaron Davey, which makes more sense. In either case I'd go with Thomas because I figure he's probably going to have a breakout year sometime, and it could easily be this year. Plus as he gets older he's likely to get more midfield time. Aaron Davey could also have a breakout year but he's just as likely to injure himself and miss half the year, and Alwyn is just a pure small forward who will be inconsistent and average around 60.

Brad Ottens vs. Hamish McIntosh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

macintosh is cheaper, and will probably score less, but could improve more than ottens if looking to upgrade
pat dangerfield vs mark coughlan

I'd go Coughlan. Of course there's an injury risk, but he'd only need to play about 8-10 games to get you the money that you need (I'm assuming you don't think he's a keeper). Plus the year Dangerfield was drafted he only averaged about 60 DT points in wherever he was playing according to the Prospectus, which is well below most other high draft picks. Dangerfield will make some money, but he's probably not the sort of player who will ever be an elite DT'er, whereas Coughlan has shown in the past he has the potential to be with two years where he averaged above 90. He won't get back up to that, but he should do more than Dangerfield.

Kane Cornes vs. Dane Swan

Symes I guess could improve, after all he's still young. And the Crows do screw around with the ball at the back a lot. And I'm ever so slightly biased against Mattner because I think he's a disgrace to football and should have to personally apologize to everybody who missed out on being drafted this year for taking a spot that they deserve more. Despite all that, I stand by my order, although I agree that I was a bit harsh on Symes. Feel free to disagree with me, but I'm not changing my opinion.

Just realized I forgot to post a new one.

Care to explain?

Care to explain?

Comes from years of watching him play for the Crows. He goes in hard, but I'm about as good a kick as him and I don't even play footy. I remember watching him shank a shot from 15 metres out on a slight angle with nobody near him out on the full. And I haven't seen much Sydney, as I try to avoid watching them, but he doesn't seem to have improved much from the little I have seen.

Comes from years of watching him play for the Crows. He goes in hard, but I'm about as good a kick as him and I don't even play footy. I remember watching him shank a shot from 15 metres out on a slight angle with nobody near him out on the full. And I haven't seen much Sydney, as I try to avoid watching them, but he doesn't seem to have improved much from the little I have seen.

Considering he is playing the rebounding quarter back role at Sydney, I think youre either well off the mark or a shoe in to replace Paul Roos as coach.

Well off the mark there, very handy for the Swans this year. Goes in hard, runs hard and distributes the ball very well - his kicking has apparently improved hugely. And because I am in a sterling mood :D I will ignore the obvious sleight on the Swannies.

Sorry for the derailment you can get back onto your player analyses now.

Yarran vs Betts I believe.

Probly not gonna put either of these guys in my side but was wonderin wat u guys reckon

Chris Yarran vs Eddie Betts

Yarran should be a lock for your side, especially considering you're a Carlton supporter. Will be very cheap, will play straight from the start because of the Blues' small forward deficiencies and will probably score well. Betts is a big no for Dream Team. Him and Yarran will probably score about the same, but Betts is a shitload more expensive.

Jared Brennan vs. Andrew Walker.

Yarren would have to be the better DT prospect - I believe he will play 10 - 15 games without injury so could be a good rookie to start with. Could be the Alwyn Dayey or Cyril Rioli of 2009. Betts has never shown the consistancy required in DT.

Travis Boak vs. Bernie Vince...

Thanks for that, still not sure whether im gonna out either of em in my side still.

Brennan n Walker, Brennan i think is capable of big score like when he scored those 7 goals against collingwood a while ago but Walker could maybe be more consistent if he stays clear of injury. Both players are not really key position players so i think alot of there score 'could' come down to there position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back