Player Review vs Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
What a great win but geez it came the hard way after our usual 3rd qtr fade out. There were some important moments in this game;

• 12 scoring shots to 4 in the first and yet only a couple of goals up.
  • Swan cheating in the 3rd quarter which was a huge part of why they got back in.
  • Umpire were a disgrace - When did the push out rule change or doesnt it apply to James Podsially and nor did it seem the sliding rule applies to him. Honestly was terrible and you have to wonder if Cats get a ride. They had 13 frees to 6 at start of 3rd. How does that happen when they are losing by 4+ goals. I have never seen that and then for the ump to ask harry to calm down bc he is upsetting the little 'ducker'.
  • They scored 1 pt in last 20 mins of game....Awesome by our blokes
Votes

5 - Pendlebury
4 - Dwyer
3 - OBrien
2 - Krakouer
1 - MacAffer

Russell - Did a job defensively in first but not much else. Had a chance to kick a goal in first and couldnt do it which wasnt great as it wasnt hard. Spent time on Stokes I think but not sure.... Kick ins were effective to his credit. BUt look he was just not involved in that last half when he was on Duncan and Duncan got a lot more involved for them I thought. He did have some good late touches but he has to go for mine and you have to back in a kid like Williams / Martin or a remodelled Sinclair. Its not that Russell is bad I just want more offensively from him. Who will make way for Shaw - Russell or Williams?

MacAffer - Great job on Selwood to half time and Selwood really had no influence so we have found a tagger bc few else have been able to do that but he just couldnt go with him after that and Selwood got on top but overall was v good and his last was good. Really good.Particularly his tackling pressure.

Maxwell - Was a spare man and whilst the back half did well which am sure was in part due to his organisational skill he didnt get a heap of it. In fact his most notable play was a bad turnover in first which was ordinary. Wanted to take the last kick in before the half which was interesting. I think just wanted it out long as opposed to anything short which was generally Russells go. To be fair I didnt think he was very influential on the night.

Krakouer - How good was he in the first half. Pressure was up and he ran hard both ways. The tackle on Selwood before half time sublime and if Lynch hadnt stuffed it up am sure he would have been on the end of it as he was coming through. Only blight was one in first which was poor bc he is good enough to kicked them but to be fair some of his goal assists were awesome. Went out of it completely in the 2nd half but to be fair ball wasnt coming in real well but his last was unreal.

Obrien - Enormous first half.Another who ran hard defensively and took a number of good defensive marks and applied great pressure. Barely touched it in the 3rd and had a horrible free paid against him. His last was very good though I thought when the coach got him back to his more defensive side so he could run fwd. Maybe his best game for 2 years.

Pendlebury - Words dont describe how good he was. That goal in the first half really lifted our blokes. Skill of that was awesome but nowhere when it counted in the 3rd but the last he had some enormous touches. One to Dwyer who put out to the wing was awesome.

Blair - With Ball back he went to small fwd where he was v good early. Good hands and pressure and decision making had us looking like the old Collingwood 2010 model. Didnt see it in 3rd but back to his best in the last and he should stay there. Tackles are ferocious.

Ball - Set the tone early with some great touches in close and some hard running as per his effort at the first bounce. Nice little mark over Selwood even better. Great to have him back but he drifted out.

Witts - No good at all. 208cm but they jump over him which is a worry for mine. ok around the ground I thought but needs to infuence the tap outs more. Coach should have had him off half way through 3rd instead of 3/4 time. real issue is Witts. I would have Paine come in and let Lynch ruck the support role. Geez even Hudson would have been better.

Brown - Very good for mine and had Pods sent back late in the first half. Should have had a free against Pods who gave him a clear shove early and then another one late in the 3rd. Slow that down and see the arm extension.....last time I checked thats a free.

Jolly - Great hits to advantage which sets goals up but should have kicked goal in first and then made terrible turnover in the 2nd which I think cost us a goal (not sure). Ruckmen should kick down the line. Not square up to little blokes in the corridor! Nothing in the 2nd half for mine but to be fair their rucks didnt dominate either. He was good overall.

Elliott - Was good early in the game but drifted out of a bit in the 2nd qtr. Had a moment in the 3rd when he got back into it but other than that quiet. When we had it back in the last he was on top again and running hard which is his go.

Reid - Very good in his job on Hawkins who whilst had 2 could have had more. Seemed to be moved off him and Brown got Taylor a bit in the 3rd but not sure. Needed that long goal in the 3rd but his job on Hawkins all night was good.

Lynch - I thought he was ordinary early but he stepped up with a goal in the 2nd. The effort late in the 2nd was awful wasnt it. Wasnt much of an influence all night.

Sidebottom - Real good start but I thought he drifted a bit in the second. He was around the contest though and plenty of pressure so that was good in the last when we needed it. Probably watch the replay and realise how many little things he did.

Thomas - V good early and was good in close and on spread where he had some good touches. The one he dropped on Kraks chest was the best bc its his foot skill which is my only worry so if he keeps doing that he could be anything. Couple of good efforts in the last as well in the clinch.

Kennedy - Handy

Cloke - Good and competed well. Shame he missed a couple but he was an influence to the half. Didnt do much more in the last but the goal to Krak came about bc they were Cloke conscious. That mark with 90s on clock was his best all night.

Swan - Started more fwd and was a real influence I thought before they pushed him into the middle for quick spirts. Got in and put his head over tonight. Didnt start 3rd well when they stuck Christensen on him and he booted 3 in a 3 minutes. Swans efforts were so poor i just cant believe it. Picked it up in the last with his work behind the ball to his credit but I am seeing more and more how good teams expose him.

Seedsman - Ok but was on Motlop early and Motlop burnt him a couple of times. Seemed to then be taken off as Williams took him on. Kicked a nice goal in the 3rd but their little runners had the better of he and Williams. He was good in the last though wasnt he where his run was enormous.

Dwyer - V good and pushed up ground as well. Kicked lovely goal in first and had some wonderful touches and efforts through the middle which caused turnovers. Started 3rd well when he won a ball off Selwood, stayed upright and found Elliott on other side. Goal at start of last was awesome and he just had a really good last fwd and back

Williams - Didnt see a lot of him but I think he was good when he went onto Motlop in the 2nd and got seriously torched in the 3rd. Better in the last I thought as he reined him in a bit

Witts - No good at all. 208cm but they jump over him which is a worry for mine. ok around the ground I thought but needs to infuence the tap outs more. Coach should have had him off half way through 3rd instead of 3/4 time. real issue is Witts. I would have Paine come in and let Lynch ruck the support role. Geez even Hudson would have been better.
This x100. The queen mary could turn faster than that kid. Why the hell did Bucks leave him on in that 3rd quarter. He was a total loss for mine. If that kid can chase I'd like to know what he could catch. Sorry to be so harsh but he was scarily bad.

For me... Dwyer, Blair, Macaffer, O'Brien, Sidebottom, Krakouer. These guys were the difference tonight and anyone who says Krak has no defensive side to his game knows nothing about footy. inspirational win and the springboard for our season. Come out like that against the swans and we can't lose.

Umpires... :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Disgraceful effort. I don't think I've been so disgusted in a very long time. It's time to sack the rules committee because if the umpires' total lack of understanding of the rules tonight says anything it's that the rules committee has no clue what they're doing.

This x100. The queen mary could turn faster than that kid. Why the hell did Bucks leave him on in that 3rd quarter. He was a total loss for mine. If that kid can chase I'd like to know what he could catch. Sorry to be so harsh but he was scarily bad.

For me... Dwyer, Blair, Macaffer, O'Brien, Sidebottom, Krakouer. These guys were the difference tonight and anyone who says Krak has no defensive side to his game knows nothing about footy. inspirational win and the springboard for our season. Come out like that against the swans and we can't lose.

Umpires... :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Disgraceful effort. I don't think I've been so disgusted in a very long time. It's time to sack the rules committee because if the umpires' total lack of understanding of the rules tonight says anything it's that the rules committee has no clue what they're doing.

Witts will be great when he learns how to Mark overhead. A year off for me.

If witts doesnt learn to raise his arms to mark the ball he simply wont make it. Needs to impact more contests and take contested marks. Would only play him against the lesser likes ie GC, giants, melbourne and bulldogs.
We need a third tall and paine deserves a shot,
Lynch back to the 2nd ruck role
Harrys best game for a long long time
Dwyer keeps suprising me, he wants the ball and makes things happen
Blair has to play forward/mid, far more damaging
All in all a good TEAM performance

Witts looked horribly unaware and incompetent. He had no idea. He ran under the ball on too many occasions.

Witts looked horribly unaware and incompetent. He had no idea. He ran under the ball on too many occasions.
Dude, your previous post counter acts this, WTF. Witts is ok and still learning and he has got to learn in the big league to get anywhere, cause he's that type of player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How exceptional is it to finish a match without a long term injury? Just over the moon.
Selwood is a scourge on the game, talented surely but gag-worthy so often.

Please explain?

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.”

eg. He needs to practice to learn the craft.

you knock Russell and you don't even know who he played on? this Russell hate is getting old.

otherwise appreciate the effort of the OP.

mate thats a bit unfair bc I am not a "Russell hater". If you read the previous ones I have done on him they have largely been positive and supportive and indeed tonight am not hammering him just saying he isnt doing enough for me so I'd rather see someone else there. In fact I reckon the coach agrees with me given the number of blokes who would play in that role who are currently out injured. Still if he is in there I hope he continues to develop in the role bc I would be wrapped to see him do well.

Thought Dwyer was the man tonight, 7 game career and he's already one of the best we have. Just so composed with the footy in his hands.

Pendles and Harry probably our next best, Krak was massive when he was needed and Cloke battled manfully as a one man forward line at times.

That 3rd quarter was a shocker though, we were lucky to get away with it.

Paine for Witts would be my only change, everyone else played their roles well although I thought Williams looked lost at times. Kennedy is a great sub options, was lively when he came on.

Thought Russell was serviceable again tonight especially on the wing in the last few minutes when he had to take it or they were off

Yes, i held my breath but it came off good for us every time that he had it.

Russell - Did a job defensively in first but not much else. Had a chance to kick a goal in first and couldnt do it which wasnt great as it wasnt hard. Spent time on Stokes I think but not sure.... Kick ins were effective to his credit. BUt look he was just not involved in that last half when he was on Duncan and Duncan got a lot more involved for them I thought. He did have some good late touches but he has to go for mine and you have to back in a kid like Williams / Martin or a remodelled Sinclair. Its not that Russell is bad I just want more offensively from him. Who will make way for Shaw - Russell or Williams?

Jolly - Great hits to advantage which sets goals up but should have kicked goal in first and then made terrible turnover in the 2nd which I think cost us a goal (not sure). Ruckmen should kick down the line. Not square up to little blokes in the corridor! Nothing in the 2nd half for mine but to be fair their rucks didnt dominate either. He was good overall.

Great work to get a review like that up so quickly, first of all. In terms of:

Russell: He has had some uncertain moments in previous weeks, but tonight he was rock solid, took some good marks and did really well, I thought. And his disposal is, technically at least, very good down back, just needs to choose the right option, and he did that tonight.

Witts: I wanted to see him come in, even at Jolly's expense, but he's probably not quite there yet. Still think they should put time into him against some of the lower ranked teams to expose him to top level footy.

Jolly: Apart from the frees he gave away (most of which you could only scratch your head at), thought he was good.

Russell - He did have some good late touches but he has to go for mine and you have to back in a kid like Williams / Martin or a remodelled Sinclair.

images

Russell is Russell but after a couple of early touches he settled a little and did a job for us. Is he best 22? Probably not but the idea that a "remodelled" small forward is going to provide a better result is farcical.

I do like the Toovey like role Williams played tonight though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Review vs Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back