Player X or Player Y

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To go back to the Scully v Cotchin discussion for a second. Another massive factor to consider is GWS. Will Melbourne be willing to play Scully on ball if he's signed a contract with GWS? Will they be willing to play him at all?

Makes it all the more riskier to pick Scully.

I'd choose Bruce.

Petrie or Hale? both DPP Petrie is about 20k more

Petrie if he can stay fit.

Deledio (Def) + Anthony (Mid) + Ward (Mid)

or

Grimes (Def) + Boyd (Mid) + Heppell (Mid)

My 3 other starting midfielders are Swan, Montagna and Bartel with Swallow the rookie.

What are peoples thoughts, loading the midfield too much with Boyd?

Petrie if he can stay fit.

Deledio (Def) + Anthony (Mid) + Ward (Mid)

or

Grimes (Def) + Boyd (Mid) + Heppell (Mid)

My 3 other starting midfielders are Swan, Montagna and Bartel with Swallow the rookie.

What are peoples thoughts, loading the midfield too much with Boyd?

Id say option 2. I think if grimes stays fit he will average similar to deledio, where as boyd will average around 15ppg higher than anthony, and heppell may only be 5ppg less than ward.

Jolly + Petrie (Fwd) or Petrie (Ruck) +Morton (Fwd)

Jolly + Petrie (Fwd) or Petrie (Ruck) +Morton (Fwd)

I would go with option 1. we are still unsure about mortons role and JS, petrie in forwards for me as i cant go past sandilands and cox as starting rucks.

Chapman + Higgins or Sylvia + Didak?

franklin and riewoldt obvious locks with some youngsters up forward. Cheers

I would go with option 1. we are still unsure about mortons role and JS, petrie in forwards for me as i cant go past sandilands and cox as starting rucks.

Chapman + Higgins or Sylvia + Didak?

franklin and riewoldt obvious locks with some youngsters up forward. Cheers

I would go Sylvia and Didak purely because I am iffy over Higgins durability still while I think Sylvia will have a massive year and hopefully stay fit.

Bruce + Morton or Grimes + Higgins???

Lance Franklin + Zac Smith & Robert Campbell as bench ruckman.

OR

Mitch Morton + David Hale & Zac Smith as bench ruckman (with DP link with Petrie)

Lance Franklin + Zac Smith & Robert Campbell as bench ruckman.

OR

Mitch Morton + David Hale & Zac Smith as bench ruckman (with DP link with Petrie)

Definatly the first option, although I prefer Bailey to Campbell

Adcock + D.Swallow vs Grimes + Atley?

Gotta go with grimes and atley.

grimes is in an improving team and should move into the midfield. Atley has really impressed at the roos and should get plenty of games.

adcock presents great value, but too injury prone for my liking (although grimes isnt the most durable bloke going around). Swallows a jet and has great job security, but missing two early games due to byes hurts. If atley plays alot of early games- your laughing.

Broughton Vs D.Connors

Broughton Vs D.Connors

That's an interesting question. I think most people will say Broughton, given his last 2 seasons. Connors is a bit more of a surprise packet, having only had 1 good year (well half a year actually).

I haven't really considered Connors, but he played all games last year (ignoring his suspension) and cracked out a 92 average. Broughton struggled with injuries and averaged 89.

Can someone more familiar with the Tigers tell us why Connors only managed 10 games over the 2007-2009 period? Injuries or just didn't make the cut?

I don't know if I'd have the guts to pick Connors, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him average more than Broughton.

Gotta go with grimes and atley.

grimes is in an improving team and should move into the midfield. Atley has really impressed at the roos and should get plenty of games.

adcock presents great value, but too injury prone for my liking (although grimes isnt the most durable bloke going around). Swallows a jet and has great job security, but missing two early games due to byes hurts. If atley plays alot of early games- your laughing.

Broughton Vs D.Connors

Something im also considering although mine is more

Broughton vs Connors vs Grimes vs Duffield vs R.Murphy vs Hargrave vs Enright

Im guessing your picking this player as your 4th back position which im undecided on.

Connors - If you have Deledio you cant have him aswell, but he avg 101 through the back half of the season and looked really impressive to say the least. Has upside but he also has that added doubt over off field issues (although i reckon he is over now) and durability (never has played many games whether that be because he wasnt best 22 or injury i cant remember). Also very unlikey a bottom 8 side which Richmond will be avgs over 100 and i dont think that will be Connors.

Broughton - Again if you have duffield than you cant pick him, or if you have enright i would err on the side of caution for round 6. So they are the negatives. Also yet to play 20+ games in a season and i feel he will play R.Haydens small backmen role because fremantle dont have anyone else that can really play that position. He may become too defensive.

I probably like R.Murphy the most of the lot ATM, ill do some research on his preseason but i havnt heard of any hiccups. For me he is a comfortable 90avg player when up and going and his durability issues are overrated. I also like Enright and Grimes. Enright concerns me because he struggled with a tag H.Shaw style and could become cheaper during the season. Geelong also on the downhill ski, however if he plays midfield he becomes very promising. Grimes, also could be vunerable to a tag this year playing off HBF, but also could move into the middle. He also has massive durability concerns.

Duffield is very solid and i cant see him improving or declining. It may be that he is the next best option. However his last 6 games were pretty pewtred (spelling?).

Im still looking for a good 4th back and 4th mid premium.

Im guessing your picking this player as your 4th back position which im undecided on.

Connors - If you have Deledio you cant have him aswell,but he avg 101 through the back half of the season and looked really impressive to say the least. Has upside but he also has that added doubt over off field issues (although i reckon he is over now) and durability (never has played many games whether that be because he wasnt best 22 or injury i cant remember). Also very unlikey a bottom 8 side which Richmond will be avgs over 100 and i dont think that will be Connors.

Broughton - Again if you have duffield than you cant pick him, or if you have enright i would err on the side of caution for round 6. So they are the negatives. Also yet to play 20+ games in a season and i feel he will play R.Haydens small backmen role because fremantle dont have anyone else that can really play that position. He may become too defensive.

I probably like R.Murphy the most of the lot ATM, ill do some research on his preseason but i havnt heard of any hiccups. For me he is a comfortable 90avg player when up and going and his durability issues are overrated. I also like Enright and Grimes. Enright concerns me because he struggled with a tag H.Shaw style and could become cheaper during the season. Geelong also on the downhill ski, however if he plays midfield he becomes very promising. Grimes, also could be vunerable to a tag this year playing off HBF, but also could move into the middle. He also has massive durability concerns.

Duffield is very solid and i cant see him improving or declining. It may be that he is the next best option. However his last 6 games were pretty pewtred (spelling?).

Interesting to see you like R.Murphy the most out of that lot. I'd probably have him last out of that list.
He had some shockers last year- 69, 65, 56, 31 (havnt look at each game so unsure as to why he scored badly) and only broke 100 twice (113, 111). I think his durability issues are well noted and fair call.

Grimesy could be a great pick. A move to the midfield should see him average 95+. If he has a good pre season, i think ill get him. Hopefully hes over his back issues. In an improving melbourne team, he should go really well.

I like what you said about Connors being in a bottom 8 side. If anyone averages 100 (or close to it) at the tigers, you would think it would be lids and not connors.

Broughton would be a lock if it wasnt for that round 6 bye imo. Ive already got a few premiums missing that round, and i really dont want another 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im going with the 4 premium midfield setup too.

ATM i have Swan, Boyd, Montagna and M.Murphy. I know people will say round 4 will kill me with Boyd and Montagna missing, but its a risk im willing to take at this stage.To me, they have the least risk involved and should be top 5 midfielders by the end of the year. Ive looked at the fixtures, and i can see both boyd and joey getting off to absolute killer starts. Also, being round 4 (quite early byes) im banking on having no injuries in the midfield and will be quite happy to look to my bench for solid cover.

Marc had no preseason last year and averaged 100. This year he's doing well in the preseason and should move into the elite status. Hopefully Mclean stays fit which should help him aswell. i expect a 107-115 average at this stage.

I guess the more risky options are Murphy and Grimes. I think Murphy is such a better player than a 77 avg, he avg 90 or 89 when scoring was alot lower than and the side probably wasnt as good. I havnt researched into him much yet, so maybe ill see something that turns me away, his upside doesnt concern me, more his durability but id prefer him slightly over grimes regarding durability. He also has DP.

Grimes was documented to move midfield last year but it didnt happen, it wont happen this year, he will have stints but he wont be a starting midfielder, maybe on a wing but hes needed down back especially with the loss of Bruce, Frawley and C.Morton for several time periods. Thats almost there half back line last year.

Broughton is one to watch and his role he plays. Certainly considering him but just think the hayden role may bog him down a little. Although last year he played very defensivily and also scored well, also havnt looked into broughton at all yet. I dont have any other geelong, hawks or dockers in my backline, so round 6 doesnt really affect me.

Duffield and Enright are your players who are going to give you what you pay for. 20+ games and a solid 87-91 avg. If enright moves to midfield that really gets me excited about his prospects, but again similar case to grimes is needed down back.

The 4th premium back could be a nice way to separate you from the field as well as the 4th mid IMO.

Im in the same boat as u DWD in terms of my 4th mid. At the moment i am tossing up between:

Jack v Liam Anthony

Thoughts?

Im not going to go that low, but both have there merits.

Im deciding between

M.Murphy, Swallow, K.Simpson (massive unique) and Bartel

Im also considering Mundy if Barlow is ready to fire early on. Mundy will avg 100 with Barlow, Pav and Hill around him.

Edit: Also keeping Stanton in mind aswell. Although ive come to realize he is a hack,soft footballer.

2 quick questions...

Sandi vs. Jolly

Chappy vs. No Chappy

@ WCE 9
I'd go Anthony as he's cheaper and will score the about the same/better than Jack. If durability of your mids is a concern, and money is not a worry than go Jack (whom I have a soft spot for lol)

It depends on how much money you have... Sandilands is always good for a ton of hitouts but has tended to wear a bit as the season progresses but if money is no object I would select him.

Jolly is also a good pick imo... averaged 90 without fraser last season, plays for collingwood, cheaper than sandilands, and is durable.

Chappy is too much of a risk for me this season.

Brad Green vs Rioli

*Keeping in mind that im going for the league win and Melbournes 2 byes aren't counted in the league matches

Connors - If you have Deledio you cant have him aswell, but he avg 101 through the back half of the season and looked really impressive to say the least. Has upside but he also has that added doubt over off field issues (although i reckon he is over now) and durability (never has played many games whether that be because he wasnt best 22 or injury i cant remember). Also very unlikey a bottom 8 side which Richmond will be avgs over 100 and i dont think that will be Connors.

Another name to throw into the ring might be Grant Birchall. Potentially unique selection, but can possibly be awkward to work around given that you may already have a couple of Hawks / Dockers / Cats floating around. Is underpriced at 321K though in my opinion.

2 quick questions...

Sandi vs. Jolly

Chappy vs. No Chappy

@ WCE 9
I'd go Anthony as he's cheaper and will score the about the same/better than Jack. If durability of your mids is a concern, and money is not a worry than go Jack (whom I have a soft spot for lol)

I'd be picking Sandi for a few reasons:

- Fremantle's byes are both in the non-scoring rounds
- The byes are well spaced over the season, and as such should see Sandi get some recovery time
- Collingwood has two byes by Round 13 (I think) leaving Jolly a potentially tasty trade target if one of my rucks falters / gets injured / etc

As for Chappy, I didn't pick him last season and regretted it. Scores on a massively consistant basis and only missed one game last year (ping!). Can't see him losing form this year due to his play style and with Ablett gone I can't see him leaving the midfield any time soon, and scores highly as a forward anyway. Worst case scenario is you have to trade down to another premium (yes, possibly waste of a trade, but missing the extra points he scores hurts)

Holy Rioli didn't ask one so I'll chime in.

Knights or Petrie (with no dual position in rucks)

I honestly don't ever see the need for having more than 1 ruck cover. Just choose durable rucks and have 1 back up. Last year i had M Lobbe on the bench the entire year and he did not play one DT game or gain any decent cash. With the structure of the byes most decent ruckmen will be able to rest up enough to be able to play all games. Therefore as long as you choose 3 ruckmen that are getting game time and don't share byes on the same round, you should be fine. Worst case scenario, is that one is injured while another is on a bye and you need a third. Trade or cop a 0.

The advantages of having someone like Petrie in the team is about 60ppg (given that the rookie in the forward line you will have to replace him with will be around this ppg) on the off chance that you have 2 ruckmen down at any one time. Even better, get a better cash cow for cheaper or upgrade him to someone who will consistently score better... That 60 points seems pretty stupid now doesn't it?

Anthony & 44600 V any other midfielder up to 400 000

Selwood V Bartel

I'd be picking Sandi for a few reasons:

- Fremantle's byes are both in the non-scoring rounds
- The byes are well spaced over the season, and as such should see Sandi get some recovery time
- Collingwood has two byes by Round 13 (I think) leaving Jolly a potentially tasty trade target if one of my rucks falters / gets injured / etc

As for Chappy, I didn't pick him last season and regretted it. Scores on a massively consistant basis and only missed one game last year (ping!). Can't see him losing form this year due to his play style and with Ablett gone I can't see him leaving the midfield any time soon, and scores highly as a forward anyway. Worst case scenario is you have to trade down to another premium (yes, possibly waste of a trade, but missing the extra points he scores hurts)
I have had Chappy for probably like the last 5 seasons from round 1. When he has played he has been amazing but there are always injury concerns. The difference this year is that Geelong while still a strong side are definitely not quite the same team - lost Ablett, a few other players have gone, different coach etc. Also the existing playing group - a lot of them have also already played their best footy. Also the loss of Ablett might mean Chapman might get a lot more tags than what he has previously. After Selwood he would seem the next most likely to get the attention of the opposition. I just think there are too many uncertainties with Geelong this season. I likely won't be picking Chapman unless he has an outstanding preseason.

I couldn't really pick between those 2 but I would give the edge to Bartel given Selwood will likely get more hard tags. Bartel also has a very strong proven history with DT scoring.

Foley vs Gaff/Polec + 90K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back