Players from your club yet to reach their potential

Remove this Banner Ad

NORTH

L.Hansen (May never reach his potential), Thomas (very talented kicking lets him down and goes missing in games), Ziebell (Starting to find his feet after a horrific run of injuries), Wells would have applied reaching his potential now. They are the main 4 IMO. Tarrant not far behind but has been unlucky with injuries.

Masten

Probably the most disappointing high draft pick I've seen. Always looks the part with his fancy boots, haircut and tats but never does anything. He is a very lazy player, lacks any sort of intensity.

I hope he doesn't get a game for the rest of the year to be honest...

Patty Dangerfield - Show Brilliance and Courage, Jonathon Brown style almost, last year and then fell off the map this year.

Taylor Walker - Stood up in the last couple of games 2010 but has been non-existant 2011, withstanding injuries and being rubbed out.

Andy Otten - Unfortunately hit with the "Injury Cloud" but especially after last weeks performance has faded before he began.

The entire Mid Field - See performances for all year to understand that (Except Scott Thompson).

Bye Craigy.

Deledio.

Honestly think there is more upside in him even though he is averaging 30 touches a game.

To me he is a potential game breaker, the kind of player who can win the game for you. I've seen some impressive 60+metre goals from him, silky smooth but needs to be in the moment to truly be tested in this regard.

Vickery.

Improved so much this year, once he develops I honestly think he could kick 40-50 goals a year (already kicked 28 so far).

Morton.

Just needs to play a full season of footy.

Chris Masten is the obvious answer, but I also think Brad Ebert, Tom Swift and Nic Naitanui can be a lot better than they are currently. imo I think Ebert in particular should be considered as trade bait. Masten will not be worth much and therefore may want to be retained as a depth player with the hope he can improve dramatically in the next couple of seasons.

Only Nic Nat looks like achieving his full potential at the moment.

Harsh on Carlile and where the hell is Butcher he's like Ayce Cordy you wouldn't even think he was still on a list anymore

For Geelong Varcoe, Hawkins

Difference is Cordy has been among Williamstown's best in the VFL last couple of weeks while Butcher has struggled in the SANFL. Cordy has much potential yet to be reached, but in the spirit of this thread I'll go to players who have played in the seniors.

Easy to say Shaun Higgins and Jarrad Grant, two high draft picks who have shown plenty in the past (Higgins '09, Grant '10) but struggled to match it for whatever reason.

Others include:

Liam Jones- has shown flashes of being a really good CHF, but still needs to do more.

Jordan Roughead- played a few games last year and early this year, but struggled despite on occasion showing signs as a good ruckman/forward. Kicked 3 in the VFL on the weekend so may be given a shot vs West Coast.

Justin Sherman- is at the age where he should just be entering his prime and tearing games apart, but has been inconsistent when playing, and has caused trouble for himself with his mouth. His best is deadly, but he just needs to do it more often.

Easton Wood- last year and in the NAB cup he looked like he'd become our next gun rebounding defender, but then he broke his ankle in round 1 and since coming back he hasn't looked all that confident. Has done defensive jobs but he has the potential to be a Ryan Griffen style linebreaker.

Sam Reid- has potential to be a gritty inside mid, but has hamstrings and shoulders made of tissue paper.

And last one, just wait for it to be shot down

Brennan Stack- burst onto the AFL scene with 4 goals vs Fremantle in 2009, but since then just hasn't been able to put it together. Has been moved to half-back this year. While he has been competent at times, he's the scapegoat and every mistake he makes is singled out ruthlessly by critics. He has the potential but appears to lack confidence in himself at times.

I'd have to go with Bryce Gibbs first. Shows glimpses he's going to break out every now and again and is nearing that 23yo mark where players often seem to take the next step. While anyone saying Gibbs is soft really has no idea, it's fair to say his game lacks a hard edge. If he can improve in this area, even to the degree Marc Murphy has this year, he could be a big mover next season.

Next would be Lachie Henderson. Came in and out of the side in his first season with the club, putting together 19 games and kicking 25 goals in a forward line that was under construction. Towards the end of the season, he was really starting to show good signs. Had hip surgery in December and consequently, a largely interrupted preseason; has spent most of the season thus far building his fitness in the VFL and is going just okay atm. If he can manage a solid preseason, he could open some eyes next year.

Chris Yarran. Has shown what he's capable of with incredible bursts through the middle and long goals reminiscent of Andrew McLeod. Needs to be able to do this in crunch matches while getting a lot of attention from his opponent, which I reckon centers around him getting tougher and winning more of his own ball, rather than being a go-to or run-by player. He's only 20yo and seems to have much potential to realize.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players from your club yet to reach their potential

Remove this Banner Ad

Back