Players who had it but then lost it

Remove this Banner Ad

IS it a bit harsh to say Barry hall???

I know the umpires have come down on him hard in the last year or so, but he just doesnt seem to have the knack anymore.

I think last week channel ten replayed 4 dropped marks at half time.
was injured for the entire season :rolleyes:

if anyone who looks like they had it all and then lost it all, its chris judd atm. a bit early, but doesn't look like he will be half the player he was at west coke with this team.

Any sydeny supporters remember Shane Fell?
Felly works down the road here.
I remember him before he got drafted to the Swans, he was a big full-forward for Glenorchy in the TFL.
Had been very good since debuting with the Pies, then kicked 114 goals for them in '88 or '89 and went to the Sydney Swans the following year, I'm not sure how he went over there (IE: how many games, goals etc) but I don't think he went that well.
Came back to Glenorchy at the start of '92 season and wasn't anywhere near the player he was when he left.
Fat, slow and had a terrible case of the yips in front of goal and struggled on for a few more seasons with Glenorchy which were injury plagued and ineffective before pulling the pin in around 1995.
Was the licensee of the Carlyle Hotel in Derwent Park for several years, now working as a sales rep for a car dealership in Hobart.
Actually Fell was at the Swans at the time when Hobart premiership player Dale Hall was drafted across to them.
Hall did very little up there, hated the big smoke and came back to Hobart and was axed by Hobart coach Mark Browning during the '92 TFL Finals Series for being out on the soup the night before the Qualifying Final in which North Hobart smashed Hobart by 97-points.
Hall went from being a senior TFL premiership player, to being drafted to an AFL club to playing in the Huon Football Association and later the Southern Amateurs within a few short years, quite a fall.

Someone mentioned Brad Pearce, I remember him before he went to Carlton.
Was playing for South Launceston in the TFL, was surprised to see him get drafted, but given that South Launceston were by far and away the worst team in the league for many years, they were never on TV so I guess I didn't see his best footy.
Was certainly an important player when he was at Carlton, then suddenly he just dropped off the face of the earth, not sure what happened to him after that.

Jason Heatley
Matthew Young
Justin Plapp
Heatley got delisted from St Kilda and soon after was head-hunted by Matthew Armstrong and AFL Tasmania GM, Scott Wade for a spot in the Tasmania Devils line up.
He was given some sort of plum job with the AFL Tasmania gravy-train and even had his own little 5-minute segment on WIN-Television during weeknights called 'Heater's Hints' :rolleyes:
Heatley turned out to be a disappointment, I'm not too sure, but I seem to recall he had a lot of injury problems in his time at the Devils as well.

Plapp got a gig in the AFL on the strength of booting 98-goals for the Burnie Dockers in 1996.
He could take a good mark and kick goals, mind you, if you had a lineup like Burnie did in those years with Peter German at the helm, and with one of Tasmanian football's most notorious enforcers (Dale Whish-Wilson) protecting you, anything under 80-goals would be considered disappointing.
I always felt Plapp was way too one-dimensional for AFL level and that if he didn't develop that side of his game, he'd more than likely get chopped from an AFL list.
Plapp was, of course, headhunted by the Devils a few years back and spent sometime playing for them and was also some sort of AFL Tasmania scout in the North West.
Had a bit to do with junior development up on the Coast as well.
Is currently the senior coach of the Burnie Dockers in the NTFL.

Carlton's Frank Marchesani (spelling?) - late 80s? - even wore #25 - burst onto the scene, could have been anything but within a year or so was playing park soccer. May have have had a season after the Blues with the Roys?

Anyone with the correct story?

Regards

Dicko
It was the early 80s, a smooth running wingman bought from Fitzroy. Pretty sure he played in either the 81 or 82 premiership. There were a few blokes like him back then. Philip Walsh. Mark Dwyer from Fitzroy got 10 or 12 Brownlow votes in the last 6 games in 85-86: a left-footed Graham Wright, which probably still doesn't mean much to the kids.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who had it but then lost it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back