Players who had it but then lost it

Remove this Banner Ad

Port fans might disagree, and it's probably a bit harsh to say he "lost it", but Gavin Wanganeen was a sensational attacking defender in his early days at Essendon, but then spent the rest of his career staging free kicks.

Sorry to tell u mate but its not only port fans who disagree haha.;)

Mark McGough - Anzac day medal to delisted by st kilda.

Nathan Eagleton- Was a gun at the power, lost ot traded to the dogs, got worse and was nearly gone, managed to turn it around but never quite lived up to the initial hype.

Darren Cuthbertson
John Georgiou
Glenn McLean

Biggest of all

Glenn Archer. Really has been terrible since 99. Lives on reputation for being some sort of tough guy. Ooooh like a shape up will hurt?? Shinboner ........ more like Thinboner.

Troy Wilson for the Eagles. Picked up as a mature aged rookie selection.

Started off his career with a brilliant first season, West Coast's goalkicking award, only to disappear off the face of the earth.

First one that springs straight to mind is McKernan & Woewodin

At the moment i'd say tredrea & akermanis.

but i think tredrea would soon fall into the category "had it, lost it, regained it again".

....not too sure about aker though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your right he did start off like a bomb but it was initially with the 'Roys but then couldn't regain his rookie form with Carlton. A bout of glandular fever didn't help much either but he wasn't half the player he was at Carlton as he was Fitzroy.

Similiarly Phil Walsh at C'wood where I think he won VFL 1st season player of the year on Ch. 7's WOS (no rising star award then) but got caught in the *** for tat poaching war in the 1980's between C'wood and Richmond and really struggled with the Tiges and end up an average player at the Bears IIRC.

Mark Dwyer of the Roys also started off his 1st season like he was going to be a champion and even lead the Brownlow in the early rounds as his form was that good. However he got homesick for the country life and headed back to the Koroit/Warrnambool area sometime in his 2nd yr I think.

Adrain McAdam was probably the one of the biggest wastes of talent I saw....too much smoking of the funny stuff I believe fixed up his wagon.

Dwyer never led the brownlow cos he only played towards the end of the season, nabbing quite a few votes in only 6-8-odd games. i was at a few of them and he was on fire.

First one that springs straight to mind is McKernan & Woewodin

At the moment i'd say tredrea & akermanis.

but i think tredrea would soon fall into the category "had it, lost it, regained it again".

....not too sure about aker though
surely you cant include people with injuries in this?

Woewoedin in by far and away the most notable

Like I said, probably a bit harsh for me to say he "lost it"

True, Wanganeen was awesome in 2003. That was probably his best season.

I just reckon that whatever respect he built up amongst football fans from 1992-1996, he just kind of lost after his move to Port. Nothing to do with anti-Victorian bias. If anything that works in his favour as we used to see the live interstate games more than Victorian games on TV (opposite to nowadays)

I reckon in most peoples' opinion, he went from champion status to "very good player"
He probably salvaged his reputation as a champion with his 2003 season and his second half goals in the 2004 Grand Final.
Wanganeen was in by best two in the 2004 GF and won the game in one quarter against the Saints in the Prelim.
After that he fell away and his last season was just to get him over the 300 mark.A skinny bloke who got pulverised so much was lucky to play so much.A lot was said of his diving late in his career but his rubber body got him out of a hell of a lot of injuries.:thumbsu:

IS it a bit harsh to say Barry hall???

I know the umpires have come down on him hard in the last year or so, but he just doesnt seem to have the knack anymore.

I think last week channel ten replayed 4 dropped marks at half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who had it but then lost it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back